Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
and found little white worms in it!!! yuck! the thing is that i had made the pot of soup already and was having a bowl and saw all these little white things and thought, i didnt cut the garlic like that, then upon closer view, it was worms!!! yuck. i had eaten some already...am i going to get sick? i threw it all out! yuck.

advice? thoughts? :dis:

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
Sounds like it is pantry bug larvae ( the worms). You will want to go through your pantry and see where else they might be and get rid of any as it will ruin all your food.

As gross as it is to look at , throw out but you will be fine.

The Indianmeal Moth larvae can infest a wide range of dry foodstuffs of vegetable origin, such as cereal, bread, pasta, rice, spices or dried fruits and nuts. More unusual recorded foods include chocolate and cocoa beans, coffee substitute, cookies, flour, dried mangelwurzel, and even the toxic seeds of Jimsonweed (Datura stramonium). The food they infest will often seem to be webbed together.

After larvae or moths have been found, it is important to throw out all food sources that are not in very tightly sealed containers. The moths are able to get into surprisingly tight spots, including sealed bags and Tupperware containers. They are also notoriously difficult to get rid of, and can crawl on ceilings and spin cocoons in rooms other than the kitchen or pantry where they hatched. Last instar larvae are able to travel significant distances before they pupate. When seeking the source of an infestation, the search thus cannot be limited to the immediate area where pupae are discovered.

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
It could also be the 'heart' of the green pea. I think they are lighter in color than the actual green pea. I have noticed that in my soup when I buy the whole green peas in stead of the split peas.

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thank you happy...now all i have to do is muster up the courage to go in the pantry and take it all out and dispose of it and clean the pantry....

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
now to boot...just saw a mouse on the kitchen floor...could this be where the wormy things came from?

·
8,714 Posts
It could also be the 'heart' of the green pea. I think they are lighter in color than the actual green pea. I have noticed that in my soup when I buy the whole green peas in stead of the split peas.
~That's what I was thinking. I've been freaked out more than a few time by non-bugs.
Did the "worms" all float to the top of the soup or were they throughout? Real buggies usually float.~

·
Registered
51 Posts
grossed uot yeah, but I duobt yuo wil reely get sic. My Mom fuond Half a worm in her apple one time. I bet they wer mullers (moth worms) in yuor suop.
i feel for yuo , I'd be hurling for sure.

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
now to boot...just saw a mouse on the kitchen floor...could this be where the wormy things came from?
from my experience most larvae worm things come from the store. They are already in the box or bag of the item.

that is why most ( at least around here) suggest freezing flour before putting it is the pantry.

Reactions: NicJean

·
Registered
394 Posts
from my experience most larvae worm things come from the store. They are already in the box or bag of the item.

that is why most ( at least around here) suggest freezing flour before putting it is the pantry.
How long is it recommended to freeze flour?

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
I always freeze mine for a couple of hours, put in bay leaves and store in a gallon jar or 5 gallon food safe bucket. Some freeze theirs 24 hours. I have never had problems with mine when properly stored.

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
Housewife lore around these parts is at least 24 hours. I would say at least until it is frozen all the way through. I leave mine in for more than 24 hours.

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
Usually I have 50 pounds at a time of Caputo 00 flour or wheat berries and can't spare the freezer for that long ( over 24 hours) ...lol I am so glad people do that though ( freezing your flour , rice etc) it is worth the time, to not lose your pantry.

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
well, it was my thought that it came from the store in that bag. but, after seeing the mouse, i made dh come home from work...i wouldnt go back in the house...i ran outside in the garage w/ my phone and computer...lol...i was freaked out. he came home, gound and killed the mouse (under the stove) and then i had him empty pantry and i threw out all opened stuff and some other stuff that looked to have some webby things in it...i then washed all cans off, bleach/watered the pantry, then vinegar/water sprayed it. put back cans and put all boxes of unopened and pasta, etc that still looks good to me, in plastic tupperware type containers. i also steam mopped the floor in the pantry..and lysol wiped the boards around inside, etc....hoping this is it...the wormy thing still has me grossed out!

·
Registered
5,605 Posts

·
Registered
669 Posts
Those pantry moths are a pain, and the problem is they come in on any kind of cardboard, as well. For the last few years I keep one of those sticky fly paper strips = yellow, hang down - in my kitchen at all times, also on back porch where I keep the cat food bag. You will be amazed at how many of these little moths the thing will catch. It's pretty much eliminated my problem.

Solid, thick containers are essential - they will eat through thin plastic bags, I learned to my regret. Baggies are way too thin.

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
now in the pantry there are only cans and everything else is in tupperware like containers and that is the way that it will stay from now on in!

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
now in the pantry there are only cans and everything else is in tupperware like containers and that is the way that it will stay from now on in!
Good job! Just be careful and keep checking they have been know to get into plastic bags and under tupperware seals. Hopefully this is the end of the problem for you, pesky little creatures :yucky:.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts