Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So far the only recipe for bread I've found that doesn't contain eggs is the "Cuban Bread" recipe in the 2nd TWG. Anyone have any other good ones?

Also, my breads seem to come out extremely 'hearty'. I'm wondering if I should have sifted the flour before measuring it? Does that matter? I didn't because I don't have a sifter.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
I make eggless "soda" breads all the time... wheat, rye & white breads.

I'd recommend looking for some versions of irish soda breads (but these contain no yeast).

G'luck

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Lots of bread recipes don't contain eggs. Try allrecipes.com, and do a search for bread. There are a lot of bread machine recipes on the site, but also many are aren't. Even on the first page of recipes it pulled up for me just now there was an oatmeal bread and a maple wheat bread without eggs that sounded pretty good! I like this site because it has ratings by people who have actually made the recipe.

I never sifted my flour when I made bread. Maybe you are getting too much flour worked in? I really don't know. Our bakers here who are real pros should be able to help you with that part of the question.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was going to add that I made bread the traditional way not with a bread machine...
but I can't figure out how to edit my post on this new forum skin.

·
Premium Member
3,898 Posts
Also, my breads seem to come out extremely 'hearty'. I'm wondering if I should have sifted the flour before measuring it? Does that matter? I didn't because I don't have a sifter.
By hearty do you mean heavy/dense? You may not have kneaded or let it rise long enough, or it could be undercooked.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
By hearty do you mean heavy/dense? You may not have kneaded or let it rise long enough, or it could be undercooked.
Hmm I'm not sure. I followed the exact recipe in the TWG, but I could try to let it rise longer and knead it longer.

As for the egg thing, every recipe I found in books seemed to contain eggs so I figured it was the 'norm'

·
4,028 Posts
I only use egg in my bread if I want a richer finished product, this goes the same with substituting warm milk for water or butter for oil.

For most bread the basic ingredients are yeast, water, sugar (I use it to give the yeast a headstart when the "wake up"), flour, oil, and salt.

Bread without salt will taste very, very flat.... i know that from experience.

Bread is done when the internal temperature reaches about 200 degrees F.
It will have a hollow sound when the bottom is tapped.

I've made some very dense breads and one of my problems was too much flour. The flour will absorb the water over time so after adding/kneading all but the last cup of flour in, I let my dough sit about 10 minutes. If it is still sticky I will add some more flour but only a tablespoon at a time. The dough should not feel stiff but spongy without being sticky.

http://breadworld.com/ (AKA, Fleicshman's Yeast) also has a nice website with lots of recipes.

Have fun.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Many quickbreads have eggs (think banana bread) and are sort of like cakes. I haven't run into many yeast breads that do. Beer bread doesn't and is VERY easy!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts