Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
5,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
got my electric now I am behind but I opened it and I am having an anxiety attack I have never had a bill that high for a utility . brump brump 655 due in 2 weeks... anxiety how much would it had been if I didn't try to keep it down

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
That's for one month or past due amounts?

I'd call them up, discuss payment plan pronto. hugs

·
Registered
708 Posts
I so completely understand your panic...

i have a similar case going on...and its time for everyone to realize the reality....I don't care if it is 50 degrees inside....it is warm enough so the pipes will not freeze...grab your slippers and grab your sweat pants and sweaters and a blanket...I cannot afford the stupid light bill so if you want to continue to have it to run the television refridgerator than they best smarten up and unplug things they are not using...shut the lights out when they leave the room...shut the hot water heater off after using the hot water...because if you choose not to follow these rules then one day there will be no power at all....and its not because mom or wifey is nagging...its the reality of what it is...I am not God and cannot pull money from the sky....sorry for the rant just wanted to let you know you are not alone and i understand....hope things get better for you...I have a long huge road ahead of me but i will make it through...

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
Light bills and all other utility bills always suck, no matter how small they are because you are paying for something you have already used...except for cable/phone/internet (at least where I live). I'd call ASAP & make payment arrangements. How many months worth are you talking here? You said you were already behind...but, if you are only a month behind $655 sounds high to me...mine was $162 and that about gave me a heart attack...but, I know why mine is what it is...hubby is getting cold blooded in his old age & thinks he needs to turn on a small electric heater to use the toilet...and warm up our bedroom at night. Me? I say put on a robe & slippers & you are good to go...no pun intended.

·
Registered
460 Posts
depnding on where you are I would think that would be a couple of months? My gas bill has been close to $600 for one month in the past years, but we have a 100 yr old house and it isnt exactly small so heating it even at a low temp can be costly for a few months out of the year. Ironically our electric bill is usually rather low! Hope you get it worked out. Call them and set up a payment plan! Hugs!

·
Registered
5,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have but I have already yelled at everyone that we can not continue to leave everything on. Ever since grandma has been here the utilites electric / gas have been a least 50to 100 higher a month each.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Ours was $190 we live in the midwest.

·
2,688 Posts
I have but I have already yelled at everyone that we can not continue to leave everything on. Ever since grandma has been here the utilites electric / gas have been a least 50to 100 higher a month each.
I'd be tempted to set Gramma down and lay it out....
help the electric bill to get better, or no electric.
Take your pick.

I just paid ours.... $ 103.00 for most recent bill.
I read our meter daily and log into a notebook.
Ours was a tad high today. I knew I had done no laundry so what else could I blame it on. Bingo...I had the kitchen stove oven on 2x and even though it is propane, the oven has a glow bar to make it run.

Reactions: go3817

·
Registered
9,916 Posts
I'd be tempted to set Gramma down and lay it out....
help the electric bill to get better, or no electric.
Take your pick.
Agree. I'd sit EVERYONE down and lay it out. And it wouldn't be a low keyed voice either. Sorry, Gramma dosen't run the house. She's there out of the goodness of YOUR heart and unless she is paying part of the bills....then she complies. You're talking, by what you said, anywhere from $100 to $200 more a month since she moved in. Does she get social security? Tell her to start chipping in or you're cutting the electric at the breakers. Then everyone will sit in the dark with no TV, no heat, no hot water, no stove and on and on.

If the electric company cuts it off then you'll also pay a reconnect fee to turn it back on. So I'd cut it off at the breakers first. And dare anyone to touch it with an iron skillet in your hand. Hand out blankets when you're done with your speech. If they/she opens their/her mouth tell them there's a motel for rent by the week where the heat, lights, maid and tv are included.

·
Registered
19 Posts
My mom lived with us until she passed away. Our power bill went down almost 150.00 per month after she died. hard to believe than one person could make that much difference. Hope you can find out why your bill is so high.

·
Registered
99 Posts
law about cold weather

I don't know where you are located but I live in maryland right outside of DC and there is a law that the power company can not turn off your electric in the middle of the winter. The law somehow related to outside average temperatures.

I didn't even know about that law til I moved into my new house in november and my first bill was 1000 dollars. Turned out that the vents weren't connected in the attic and were just spewing all that hot air into the attic.

I ended up having the electric company investigate and they put my account on an admin hold - which means that I didn't have to pay anything while they reviewed the account. I ended up having a 96 dollar credit from the review. But it was 3 months later and had to pat 2150 for the bills (luckily i got my taxes back to cover it).

I had an energy audit done and then had air sealing and insulation installed in july. My bills have been about 100 a month since then.

check out if there is a law about no disconnection during winter months where you are

Reactions: oheoh's momma

·
Registered
352 Posts
That seems really high. I'm sorry you are in that situation. If you cannot afford to pay it all at once I would call the utility and work out a payment plan. As long as you do not ignore it they will usually work with you and not shut you down. Also, you might ask if the utility company does energy audits. Often they will come into your home and help you analyze where you could become more energy efficient. It might be that you need more insulation, to seal your windows, etc. Good luck!

·
Registered
9,916 Posts
I'm sorry. I didn't mean to come off so strong and it most definitely was NOT directed toward you yourself but at her/them. While yes, that is what I would've done ...well, I hope you know what I mean.

You have a good heart. I hate to see people with a good heart taken advantage of. It gets me riled to say the very least.

hugs, forgive me

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Call immediately and work out payment plan. Do you have a church who could help? BUT don't wait till cutoff date to ask for help.....Most won't won't pay the entire bill but many times they will pledge $100. Again, don't wait......start looking for help NOW!!! Good luck..and tell Grandma she needs to get on board!!

·
2,688 Posts
I'm sorry. I didn't mean to come off so strong and it most definitely was NOT directed toward you yourself but at her/them. While yes, that is what I would've done ...well, I hope you know what I mean.
I would have cut it off at the breakers too :)
And said....oh gee....the power company shut us off......

Reactions: NikoSan999

·
Registered
13,930 Posts
We are on plan and have been forever. I pay $169. per month for a 2100 sq. ft. house w/ an old furnace. It was $70 more when Ds was home and now he's back.
I am always behind everyone too. Dh works at home in the bsmt. so that doesn't help. And we can't deduct cuz. his office is in the bsmt!

Grandma is a pain is your arse. You need an aide for her. I can't decide if she is crazy or you are a saint. I would have a competancy hearing after documenting behavior. If she passed she could find her own apt. if she failed she could go to a facility. I would pick a roomate from the alley and be less irratated I think. sorry. JMHO. (commentary based on previous stories from S.I. thread for those who haven't heard.

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
If I would of gotten that electric bill I would of been in the hospital again due to having a stroke!

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.