Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any one use these? I have been using them the last couple years and they have saved us tons on the heating bill.We have a gas furnace and in the winter its cheaper to run electrical heaters then to run the heater. I set the heater at 60 and use the fireplace heaters in the main rooms. We live in the midwest. So gets pretty cold.

·
Super Moderator
19,540 Posts
We don't, but when we finally decided to make the leap to central AC a few years ago, we bought a heat pump. The power company put us on their off peak rate for that and in exchange, they get to power our AC down during peak times. It's a great deal!

The heat pump runs any time it's above about 25 degrees outside, so we are heating with electricity in the spring and fall. Still heating with propane about three or four months out of the year, but since our heating season usually goes for about seven or eight months, it saves us tons of money.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I bought an electric fireplace a year ago December. I love mine too. It's pretty, and it heats up my living room nicely. I paid about $140 for mine. I don't have to find a storage spot for it over the warmer months because it's also a piece of furniture.

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
I don't have one and don't have a spot for one either. But I am amazed that it's actually cheaper to warm up the house with electric heater. Surprises me. But that's great! and great that you figured out a way to get the heat cheaper.

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
I have gas central heat where I live and it is MUCH cheaper than electricity. My electric bill to keep my house cool in the summer months is just under $200 a month. My gas bill last month (the heat ran quite a bit) was $42 and that includes the gas water heater.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
I don't have one but thinking about looking into them...Mother in law to be got her one this winter before Christmas and she loves it..

·
Registered
694 Posts
We have one. Bought it winter 2011. Love it. Looks great. And throws a lot of heat. My downstairs will get cold and the upstairs will be hot. It's saves us turning on the furnace if there's a chill downstairs.

We had a wee little one that looks like an old fashioned stove before this large wood one with a mantel. It was really good as well and worked for 5 years.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Nana2two: I live in a small house, built in the 1960s. In principle, it should be easy to heat but with the British weather being what it is (when it's cold, it's wet and/or windy, when it's windy it's cold and/or wet etc. etc.) the house does cool down quickly. I have the heating on for an hour at wake-up/get-up time, then on timer for the evening, from 6.00pm to 9.30pm.

I have gas-fired central heating - radiators in all rooms and in the entry hall, each with its own thermostatic control. Nevertheless, IF I know I am only going to be in one room for most of the evening, then I will only heat that room. In the sitting room, I have a free-standing electric stove

Esse Solo Traditional Electric Stove Lowest Price in the UK

Should I be going to spend all the evening in the kitchen-diner, I have an oil-filled electric radiator which I can wheel in from the bedroom - or the study - or wherever I last used it.

I can recommend this principle: if you can bear the discomfort of crossing the other, un-heated areas . . .

1 - 8 of 8 Posts