Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Founder
19,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My mom used to use one. I don't own one, but wondered if anyone uses one frequently and what do you cook in it?

·
Registered
23,290 Posts
I use to have one, but no longer do. I found that they scratch very easily (especially if dh is using it) :eek: and I very seldom cook the type of meals I use too. Most of my meals now are baked in the oven or using the crockpot.

·
Registered
948 Posts
We have one. I don't use it regularly, but really do like it. It heats up much faster than stovetop cooking (I have a smooth top range). The only issue is that it does not cook very evenly (this could be because ours is very old) - most of the heat/cooking action is centered around the element.

I use my electric skillet for french toast every time I make it (which used to be a lot more often than now). It also does a great job browning hamburger! I don't think it heats up the house as much as using the stovetop.

·
Master Dollar Stretcher aka DixieBob
5,451 Posts
I used my ddil's electric skillet a while back to make hamburgers. They turned out great. It cooked much more evenly than mine. Hers is new and mine is several years old. I guess that made the difference.

·
27,948 Posts
I use ours for breakfast foods. It is nice to be able to have another cooking pan that you can put anywhere there is a plug and you can regulate the temp easily. Does a nice job of keeping foods warm for a buffet too.

·
Registered
33,846 Posts
I have one and I use it everyday.

I use it for breakfast-eggs and potatoes...or bacon...pancakes, grilled cheese... I find it has lots of space to make lots!

I use it if I need to cook anything at lunch or supper. I know I save alot of electricity. I read it uses 80 % less electricity.

I also have an electric pot for making soup or stews...

·
Registered
7,854 Posts
I use mine lots too- pancakes, french toast, double batches of fried rice, fried chicken ( I find I splatter less grease in it, and I can regulate the heat better). . . . . .

I've baked some in mine just to try it out- I prefer baking in my oven or crockpot though.

·
Premium Member
21,255 Posts
mustang80 said:
I use mine for french toast and pancakes. Never thought to use it for real food, lol:toothy:
I use it for those too and Sara's chicken recipe (that I can't remember the name of right now--Chicken Adobo maybe?), hamburgers, hot dogs, homemade fried rice...

·
Registered
15,917 Posts
I haven't used mine in quite awhile, but I make pot roast, scalloped potatoes those types of things. Never thought of using it for breakfast foods! :bang:

·
Master Dollar Stretcher aka TraciBob
1,840 Posts
I have one, and although I don't use it that often, I could cook just about anything in it. Most of the time we use it for eggs and potatoes. We just got a new one, and it is just as good as any other pan. I can even make a cake in mine. As a matter of fact, the last thing that I made was a pineapple upside down cake.

·
Registered
2,666 Posts
We have one but don't use it much anymore. My mom and dad gave us a grittle last year fro Christmas that I thought I'd never take out of the box but we love it.
The skillet is mostly used when we make fried rice.

·
Founder
19,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
There are so many different types. I want to make sure that I get one that gets good and hot. I'm going to check for reviews on stainless steel vs. non stick.

·
Registered
14,689 Posts
I have one Sara..we use it for roast (I have a secret family recipe that makes the best tasting roast you've ever eaten....if you want it lemme know), burgers, smothered pork chops ;), pepper steak, chicken fried steak. I've had both stainless steel and non stick and prefer stainless steel, hands down.

:wave2: Secret family recipe wanted over here!

·
Founder
19,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ohhh secret eh? lol I'll take it and I'd love the chicken fried steak recipe if you don't mind sharing. I haven't made it myself before and love it. Thanks. :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts