Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am very proud to say that last January I challenged myself to put away $200.00 each and every month. Well, here I am a year later with $2,400.00 in our emergency account. :angel: I am so happy I did this! What a great feeling to know that if some emergency happens that we have some money saved to pay some bills.

I am not going to stop at $2,400.00. DH and I are going to put that money away and let it grow. Join me in an emergency fund challenge. It doesn't have to be $200. It can be $25. Just do it each and every month. I keep it in a separate account and I don't have cheques to that account or a debit (ATM) card so that I am not tempted and it really worked for me. Who will join me?

·
Registered
23,290 Posts
Shell, wow I'm impressed. What a great total!!

I'll join you. I'll need to look at what extra I can spare (not much - dh isn't working) and see what total I can come up with each month.

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
I will join in!! Last year I started an EF and though I can only put 50.00 in it per month at the present time, it IS a good feeling to have it there. Mine is in an out of town bank, and quite often I forget that its there!! LOL
I have it set up so that every month they automatically deduct it from my checking acocunt.
My goal is to try and bump this up a little. I am aiming for 75.00 per month, but have to run some numbers to see if this is feasible.

·
Registered
4,730 Posts
I want to start one too. it will not be much but anything is better than nothing. So count me in. thanks for reminding me i have to call and check on my christmas club from last year. LOL totally forgot about it.

·
Registered
19,004 Posts
Great idea! You never know when an emergency will come up. Never to early to be prepared.

I have $1000.00 stashed away right now for a "just in case" time. I hope I don't have to use it any time soon. I didn't put a set amount away, just a little here and there. I guess I should try to make it part of the budget and put a set amount into the account.

·
Registered
916 Posts
I want to start doing this too. We have $2000 in our savings/home repair/emergency fund. I need to work on getting that higher since we will need a new roof this year. :eek:

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think we should start this challenge for Jan 1st. I think the first step is for you to pick an amount that you think you can handle every month. In my case I put in $100 and dh puts in $100. You will also need a separate account so that you are not tempted to dip into it. I found not having any cheques or debit (atm) card very helpful. Now, pick a date in the month that you will deposit this money. I picked the 17th. It is two days after payday so I haven't spent the money yet. Let me know how you are planning on doing this. Remember the secret to this is to be consistent. It is better to put in less money but to save it each and every month! Good Luck! :angel:

·
Registered
312 Posts
I will join you. I will open a emergeny savings account at the local co-op, our checking account is at another bank. If I keep the emergency saving fund at the same bank the checking account is at, it is way to easy to transfer funds.

I have wanted to do this for a number of years, but this time I will do it.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I will join too, I have been wanting to do this for a while.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Count me in, we already have a seperate account that we just don' t use since DH took the bill paying over. I will deposit what I can, I need to check and see what I can swing right now.

Nealy

·
Registered
611 Posts
Count me in- mine will be for $40 a week, direct deposited out of my check. This time, I won't spend it.....:D :D

·
Registered
155 Posts
This is a great idea!! I need to also figure out how much I can do.
I'm excited.:D

·
Moderator aka AmyBob
12,041 Posts
Okay, I'm in! Mine will have to be small because my check is already directly deposited into the bank, so I think I'll just be squirreling away some cash in a secret spot in the house.

·
Registered
33,846 Posts
I would like to join in on this one too!!! I am working on the "plan" (budget) right now and will post a $ amount as soon as I know what will be extra each pay period!!:)

·
Registered
604 Posts
I think I will join this also....I think I can do $50.00 every 2 weeks but I need to sit down and figure it up some more.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Ok, I figured out my amount. DH and I can only do $50 a month to start. We're still trying to get a major credit card payed off and move into a house. But it's a start. Yea!:hurray:

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
Kimbee-That's what I do every month and it really adds up!! Any start is a good start!!

WTG!!:smball:

·
Master Dollar Stretcher aka AngeleeBob
1,471 Posts
I'm in too! I am going with $50.00 per month, but I have to say looking at my budget for Jan. I will be lucky to do $25.00, but that is a lot more than $0.00.

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
OK so let's hear where you are opening your account and on what date you will put this money in the account. Commit to a time and place and if you haven't already, commit to an amount. I find writing down what you are planning to do is like writing a contract to yourself. Something you promise to do in writing! :fdance:

1 - 20 of 50 Posts