Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm curious as to how an enameled cast iron skillet compares in usage to a traditional cast iron skillet. Also, is it o.k. to use an enameled skillet on a ceramic cooktop?

·
Registered
9,291 Posts
The enamel coating makes it easier to clean, and a little easier to cook in because of the smooth surface. There's no raw metal to "season". And of course, it's pretty. No reason you can't use it on a glass cooktop, with care. Be gentle setting it on the stove, and never drag cast iron across a glasstop, to avoid scratches. If you have to move the pot, lift it completely off the burner first.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I'm clumsy and end up chipping the enamel. I like the uncoated iron personally. If you cook acids in them it adds iron to your diet. Mine is well seasoned so I don't have trouble with sticking or rusting but if it's not in daily use, enamel is easier to maintain.

·
Super Moderator
19,540 Posts
Agree about the chipping. At the least, don't bang utensils on the rim of the pan. I also had problems with staining. Well seasoned cast iron is as smooth as glass, but it does take a while for the seasoning to build up and some brands of iron cookware are rough until they're well seasoned.

·
Banned
10 Posts
In fact enameled cast iron is healthy and safest in use. You can cook any food you want, even acidic ones. Usually when you cook acidic food in a bare cast iron a metallic taste is created. The non sticking surface makes the cooking more enjoyable and less nervous. By the way, where do you buy products with enameled cast iron? Do you know some trustful online sources where I can find the enameled cast iron products for my kitchen? I’m also looking for new knives of a good material which won’t break or corrode in short period of time. I found the reviews of some professional knives, though I still don’t know which to choose. Enter here if you can and help me to make the right choice.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts