Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Shall we post our bill amounts and determine how well we've done saving on electricity and/or gas? :)

Here's mine:

Electricity
January: $76.65
February: $51.99

Gas
January: $227.50
February: $97.27

:smball:

How have you gals done? :)

·
Founder
19,054 Posts
Great idea. I can't post a history because our heat was covered with our rent before, but I can start next month posting totals. I am going to really be trying to make cutbacks in this area, so will definitely jump in on this.

Sara

·
Registered
113 Posts
our phone bills have gone down from $200- $130ish

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
FYI...

I'd like to set the record straight right now by saying that this challenge is not my original idea, nor have I ever claimed that it is.

I borrowed the idea from another board who in their turn borrowed the idea (for this challenge and other challenges) from Amy Dacyczyn's Tightwad Gazette Books.

Hope this clears up any ambiguity.

:)

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
Thanks justGina for these challenges-I loved them on the other board too.

Jan elec-82.80
Jan gas-98.66 (hot water and heat)

Gas will come down when it gets warmer outside. Actually, we've had a really mild winter, so 98.66 for the winter is pretty good.

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
We haven't gotten our Feb bill yet but here is January
Jan $113.23

Compared to december which was much warmer and our bill was $62

Oh and we have just electric.

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
Doing an electric bill happy dance.Febuarys was $86.50!!!!!!I thought is was going to be more than last mo.

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
:crackup: :crackup: :crackup: Here's a happy dance for you! Congrats! I didn't get my bill yet......:(

·
Registered
4,279 Posts
I can't remember the exact amount, but can approximate:

Jan elec--67.00
Jan gas--165.00

Feb elec--63.00
Feb gas--120.00

Our rates have gone up a lot here, so I am gnashing my teeth over these prices. Mind you, I have a huge old house that I only heat the lower two thirds of (I close off the sun room, office, and the laundry room). The upstairs isn't heated at all. My kids sleep up there and are very, very healthy! I keep the downstairs at 62 degrees during the day, 65-67 at night and OFF when we go to bed. I can NOT sleep where it's warm!

·
Premium Member
21,255 Posts
Jan gas: $189.14
Feb gas: $164.28 A savings of $24.86 Woo hoo :D

Jan. electric: $96.41
Feb. electric: $79.56 A savings of $16.85 Woo hoo :D

This savings is due in part to making a concerted effort to turn off lights and other appliances when not being used and hanging laundry! :)

justgina, how did you get such a savings on your gas? That's phenomenal :)

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
Ok sad to say our electric bill went up this month,but only by $4.00.so its not that bad.Its still lower than this time last year which was $50 more.So I still feel good.

·
Premium Member
21,255 Posts
Woo hoo--our electric bill went down another $10 this month :D I guess it pays (almost literally! LOL) to run around shutting off lights after everyone.

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
I just read in the paper today that the gas company has to give us a $58.00 credit on our May bill because we had such a mild winter! :hurray:

·
Registered
339 Posts
Im joining in this challenge too :)
I will get my first electric bill after the 16th of this month. I have no clue what to expect LOL
I too have been chasing after everyone turning off lights. But I have been using the electric dryer only cause Ive never had a complete brand new washer and dryer until now LOL Im like a kid in the candy store with it!! I have been keeping the AC on 75/80....does anyone know if thats a good temp for it? I cant set it past 80 here in Florida or Dh/baby will sweat. And does anyone have a timer on their hot water heater?
Im so excited about saving money in this area :)
~Michele~

·
Registered
33,846 Posts
That`s a great idea to post our electric bill challenge!

Now, I just have to find it so I can post the progress I made LOL!!!

All I can say is two years ago I was paying 155.00$ a month on a budget plan and today, I am paying 83.50$ or something a month! Yes, yes! It`s correct! I have worked very, very hard on saving electricity over the past two years...even the kids are helpful about it and my dh!

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Monthly bills: Internet $22.95 a month
Local Phone bill $49.60 this month!!
Cell Phone Bill $50.00 a month!!
Gas Card bill for both Cards $ 20.00 -$50.00 a month!!
CreditCard bill for a month $58.00 a month!!
Water Bill for a month is about $22.00 !!
LongDistanc Phone Bill is about $ 25.00 a month!!
Electric is about $62.00 ever month this year because we are a budget plan with our Electric Company!!
Our Mortgage is about $519 a month!!
Extra bills are Medical which we are going to pay off soon!!
Don't know the price of them yet!!
Those are all of our monthly bills!! :)

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
How are we doing on this challenge? I myself had to fight with the electric company last month. I was on the budget plan and currently have a $192.00 CREDIT on my account. My payment has been $133.00 per month for the budget. When the summer rates started, they raised my payment to $175.00, because they decided I'll use more energy in the summer. Last year they did this and OWED ME over $300.00 in the fall. I didn't have to pay my electric bill for 3 months.

Anyway, this ticked me off because I just bought a new energy efficient air conditioner, so I know my bills won't be as high this year. I call them and tell them to take me off the budget. They said "your account is in William's name, he has to call us. Is he available right now?" NO YOU MORON-he works for a living!!! :mad: I had to have DH call them when he got home. He questioned their logic, and got some gobbledygook answer. We're off the budget now, and I think we're going to stay that way. Why should I bust my butt trying to pay $175.00 a month when they don't need it anyway???? I used to think this was a good idea for my budget, but for now on, I think I'll just pay my regular bill. So if you are on the budget, check your balances periodically, they may be trying to rip you off.

As for my savings, I hung some clothes line (tired of waiting for DH :( I wash 1 load a day and hang it out. When I have to use the dryer, I note it on the calendar how many loads I did in the dryer, so I know when the bill comes. Flourescent bulbs are helping, but DH and DD's leave tv's on all over the house. :rolleyes:

How are you doing on your challenge? I don't have my bills handy to post them.

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Challenges on our Energy Savings as well as Savings on Bills!!

Challenges on our Energy Savings as well as Savings on Bills!!
Power Bill is $62.00
Water Bill about $21.00
Local Phone Bill for this Month is Paid For By our Phone Company we are in a CO-OP with our Phone Company!!
Long Distance Phone Bill about $18.00
Long Distance Calling Card Phone Bill $2.20
Satelite Bill $31.00
Gas Credit Card Bill $38.00
Gas Credit Card Bill$45.00
Credit Card Bill$65.00
Mortgage Bill$ 520.54
That is all the Bills besides the Medical Bills!!
Medical one is $315.00
One is $50.00
One is $50.00
Our First Goal is to get the Medical Bills totally paid off !!
Mine is $15.00 Medical Bill!!
My DD is $58.00 Medical Bill!!
Then Credit Card Bills Paid Off!!
Then Mortgage Paid Totally Off!!
So We have along way to go but we are working on it slowely but surely we will be out of Debt Hopefully For Good!!

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Our gas bill was $27.72 this month (I forget what it was last month, lol, but it was more).

Our light bill hasn't come in yet, and I'm a little worried. We've gotten pretty trigger-happy with the central air. :laugh:

1 - 20 of 37 Posts