Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My son did most of his schooling last year on the computer , "Switched on Schoolhouse," but we're doing things a little differently this year. Almost, but not quite, un-schooling. Basically, it's just a more laid back atmosphere, with Mom not quite so up-tight. I want to focus on his writing techniques this year, so I have him writing a continual story every day, in Word, which will flag his errors without Mom pointing out to him for the 100th time, "You need to put a period there at the end," or whatever! Also, whatever he's into that day is what we'll study, for example, he pointed out an ant trail that wound across our driveway, so we'll be learning about ants and other insects tomorrow! What's everyone else doing differently and perhaps better this year?

·
Registered
155 Posts
My daughter is behind in just about everything already in kindergarten. I had NO clue how much different it was from when I was little. The things I thought she'd be learning this year is the stuff they say she should already know.

I want to supplement my daughter's kindergarten with some other things. I don't want to just do a repeat of what she's been doing all day, so I've been looking through some homeschool curricula and websites.

I've got the Switched on Schoolhouse website bookmarked so I can look at it more tomorrow. Lots of great stuff there. Thanks for posting about that.

Nancy

·
Registered
381 Posts
I'm glad you're off to such a great start and have found a style that's working for you!

We're actually more organized/structured than ever. My kids really seem to thrive on that. I'd actually prefer to be a little bit less structured, but I've got to go with what works for them. Our oldest is especially thriving with a set schedule and always knowing what needs to be completed each week.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My son is ten, and has some ADHD, and so it's a good idea to keep his lessons short and to the point! We just review some key points occasionally to keep it fresh in his brain. He used to hate it in school when they were so repetitious and went over the same thing for weeks. I am going to aquire a fourth grade test for him to take to see if he's up to speed, but I won't tell him it's a test, he'll think it's just regular work, and let him complete it at his own pace. We parents have to be sneaky about things sometimes! Whatever works for each individual child is the best thing. Moms know their children best!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts