Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I received my coupon and envelope system from Dave yesterday. I used it today when I went shopping except I forgot to use my coupons. :confused:

Anyone else got them??

·
Registered
9,412 Posts
I got his deluxe envelope system I will be starting in February after we get our income tax since all CC's will be paid off and only normal bills (mortgage, electric, gas in car, phone/cable/internet/cell phones, garbage, water, car insurance, food, home necessities, etc)

Started already doing the "spending allowance envelope" so once it's empty no more spending, want to see about just keeping $100 in the bank account from paycheck to paycheck (5th and 20th of each month) after paying bills and putting the rest in savings/EF. So if we have $250 left after paying bills, take $150 put it into savings and keep $100 in the bank account.

Has anyone ever done this and how much do you leave in the envelope for gas in the car? I am sure if we didnt go anywhere but to and from work (DH) then we could manage with filling the tank up just 1 time each paycheck. Any advice?

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
As far as gas goes, I put $20.00 in each tank and it had better last the two weeks, cause there ain't no more.

I have two categories so far for the envelopes, groceries and personal allowances. Usually if there is leftover money (overtime) I put most of it in the saving envelope and the rest for medicine or misc. stuff.

dh wanted a vacation this year and it is going to be around 1500 dollars, a lot of money to me. Once that is done, the rest will go toward freedom account.

·
Registered
9,412 Posts
I really want to save, save, save and do the leaving only $100 in the bank account and the rest in savings but DH has hobbies that while not expensive at the moment CAN get expensive if he makes it an every week thing. :(

He knows I want to save but just isnt on the boat with me at all times, KWIM? There can be times we dont spend anything from paycheck to paychecks besides normal bills and stuff and then other times OMG I could kick his butt for spending un-necessarily, lol and sometimes I admit I do buy 1 or 2 items we really didnt need BUT most often it's from Birthday or Christmas money (that technically I should spend on me) but I spend it on the house, new curtains or food or something like that.

I am going to try the leaving only $100 in the bank account and when that runs out he/we will have to wait till next paycheck if something is needed. WISH ME LUCK! :)

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Tracy said:"Has anyone ever done this and how much do you leave in the envelope for gas in the car? I am sure if we didnt go anywhere but to and from work (DH) then we could manage with filling the tank up just 1 time each paycheck. Any advice?"

My advice is to keep a $20 gas card in your glove box for gasoline emergencies. We have lots of Wal-Marts around this area and they also sell gasoline. If cards are not an option, can you put a $20 in your glove box and save for emergency fill ups?

Just a thought.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Tracy said:"Has anyone ever done this and how much do you leave in the envelope for gas in the car? I am sure if we didnt go anywhere but to and from work (DH) then we could manage with filling the tank up just 1 time each paycheck. Any advice?"

My advice is to keep a $20 gas card in your glove box for gasoline emergencies. We have lots of Wal-Marts around this area and they also sell gasoline. If cards are not an option, can you put a $20 in your glove box and save for emergency fill ups?

Just a thought.
I totally agree with Misti. I would keep, somewhere in the car, a little gas money stashed. It would suck if you got stranded somewhere because you're outta gas. I wish you much luck with your envelope system. You can do it! :fdance:

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
when i have dollars the end of the day i put leave them in my car, for tolls or gas or food or whatever. my mother always did this, keep a $20 in the glove box in the folder with your reg, insurance and that stuff. you forget about it, but when you need it, its always there

·
Registered
276 Posts
Great idea...I am not carrying my credit cards anymore and try to limit the cash that I carry to and from work (but I drive about 30 minutes each way) and am always paranoid that I might need something (gas, washer fluid etc..)and not have money (I never have but you never know). I am going to stash some cash in my insurance pouch. Thanks for the great idea!

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
I like the idea too of keeping some stashed in the car just incase of an emergency.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Here's what I do with the gas envelope - DH and I use quite a bit becasue we have sizable commutes and commitments outside of the home.
I started with our high point of gas expenses - which was $500 a month.

I then started averaging I now put $300 a month. What ever doesn't get spent gets rolled into next month and the diffrence goes into the over envelope. This is a secret envelope that I have hidden, should we go over in a month for gas, we still have money. Once the over envelope reaches $200, I'll deposit any remining gas balance in the bank.

So far it seems to be working well for us that way.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts