Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have never been to an estate sale and would love to go to one. What are they all about? Is it like a big yard sale? How do you find out if there is one near you?

·
Founder
19,054 Posts
Your local paper will list them. If you attend one that is carried out through a company, you can ask them to be on a list and they'll contact you when they are having others. Some also have permanent stores or booths where they sell items too.

I love going to them. Some you take a number and wait your turn because there can sometimes be a huge turnout.

Some estate sales are organized well and some aren't. I've been through many where the dealers take over and start marking items without even picking them up. They just cruise through and put stickers on items and really clear out a place within minutes.

It's basically like a yard sale inside, but is typically a sale when there has been a death or nursing home placement. Think of an estate sale as a large portion of belongings being sold. (after family members have gone through what they want) Sometimes, even the house itself is for sale.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow! It sounds like fun! LOL I will have to get a paper. Thank you for the info!

·
Founder
19,054 Posts
I worked closely with a company out of NY and what was nice is that they would bring their own resale items into an estate sale if the sale wasn't a big one. This made their sales always full and lots of people.

They typically deep discount on the last day. (much like garage sales)

Can look right in the phone book and call and see if any of the estate sale companies have mailing lists or customer alerts. Some do and some don't.

I prefer estate sales to garage sales.

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
I love estates sales! Usually on the last day they have there prices 1/2 off. I bought some lovely end tables for my living room. Most of my house is decorated from from estate sales. If you are looking for antique furniture, pictures, etc., you usually can get a very good baragin at the estate sales, especially if you wait tell the last day. Where I live there are alot of older historical homes and the people who are running the estate sales tell you about the history of the home. Knowing about the past owners is very interesting. Like Sara, I prefer estate sales to garage sales.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts