Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
15,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
DH is german so we tend to eat alot of german and european dishes...

Sauerbraten
Schnitzel
Bratwursts (from a german deli...not the kind from regular stores)
Brotchen (by the truckfull it seems)
Rouladen

and so on.

Do you have any of culturally specific dishes you eat because it's part of your heritage or background?

·
Registered
569 Posts
Oops, I didn't read the complete post. In my culture I love all the mexican food and it's very cheap and fast to make. DH is a good old boy from KY. He loves his southern food.

·
Registered
381 Posts
My husband is Italian, and I love to cook for him and FIL. I learned to make Panettone (Italian Christmas bread) and give it to FIL each holiday season. He was so thrilled when I first presented him with some and looks forward to it all year long. :D

My own heritage is very mixed with German, French, Czech, Austrian, Hungarian, and Russian all part of the mix. I do make some dishes from each of these ethnicities, but I do prefer Italian! :)

I love to experiment with the "peasant" dishes of most cuisines. I find lots of delicious, frugal meal ideas by doing so. It seems that just about every country has their version of bean dishes and noodle and/or rice dishes and the different kinds of soups to use up leftovers or stretch ingredients.

·
Registered
713 Posts
I guess we make quite a bit of french canadian food, like poutine or tourtiere. pizza is another really big one, although I think that is a regional thing more so than cultural. We grew up in a city that is predominantly Italian, so we were always having spaghetti and meatballs, pizza, gnocchi, ravioli, etc.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
I love chinese food, and the less spicy mexican foods. I also love Cajun and Creole foods, but have to cook them at home to keep them from being too spicy. I love Caribbean foods too, but again, not too spicy. I found a mild caribbean jerk recipe that I love!

Not a big fan of Italian, except for spaghetti, scampis and alfredos. I don't like a lot of tomato sauce on my food.

·
Registered
340 Posts
I like Chinese, Mexican (since moving to California, I know what REAL Mexican food is), and Italian foods. However while living in Scotland, I learned to love some foods/dished from there.....you can't beat fish and chips from Scotland, as well as some of the cheeses and sausages! :toothy:

I'm also from the South, so I LOVE Southern food....especially my Mom's. I'm also Irish, so good hearty stews and of course, corned beef are in order from time to time!

I'd love to try new foods, but BF isn't adventurous. :down:

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
I love Mexican food, and so does DH. I am part italian so I have some recipes from my mom I like to make. DH is Finnish and English so anything meat and potatoes is good for him!

·
Registered
767 Posts
Dh and I both LOVE Chinese food..other than that, Dh is a BIG meat and potatoes guy...both of our families are from the south, so we like our Biscuits n' gravy...lol..:D

·
Registered
155 Posts
DH is german so we tend to eat alot of german and european dishes...

Sauerbraten
Schnitzel
Bratwursts (from a german deli...not the kind from regular stores)
Brotchen (by the truckfull it seems)
Rouladen

and so on.

Do you have any of culturally specific dishes you eat because it's part of your heritage or background?
My husband's mom is from Germany so we eat a lot of schnitzel and bratwurst. I haven't made Sauerbraten in forever though. I'll have to do that soon.

My mom was Swedish, so we always did scandinavian Christmas cookies every year - Krom Kakor, Pepperkakor, Fattigman.

Nancy

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Hmm, my name is irish - I like oatmeal!
I spoke spanish before english - I like almost all border-mexican foods. My maternal gp was Alsatian (French-German border) and I like french cheeses and german meats. But then I also like persian, afghanistan, indian, chinese, vietnamese, italian, swedish, and polish foods - in fact, I can't think of any general kind of food that I do NOT like. Bring it on!

·
Registered
7,856 Posts
We eat lots of Native American foods --

3 sisters (beans, corn, squash)
fry bread
pine nut cookies
acorn stew
bison

My paternal grandparents immigrated from Germany, so I do those too:

fried noodles
German sugar cookies at Christmas
etc.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Italian
Mexican
Chinese
Plus a Cuban dish that my DD makes that is absolutely scrumptious {she got it from her dad:)}

·
Registered
491 Posts
I'm 75% Icelandic (25% Swedish), so we always had a lot of Icelandic food growing up:

- pancakes (Pönnukökurs)
- layer cake (Vínarterta)
- black bread
- donuts (Kleinur)

I've never been to Iceland, but am very proud of my heritage. My dad spoke Icelandic at home. Thinking about all this makes me homesick all over again. :(

Other than my heritage Icelandic foods, I love many other ethnic foods. Favorites are:

- Indian (esp. saag paneer and naan)
- Vietnamese (Saigon noodle soup)
- Thai
- Japanese

Mmmmm ethnic foods are some of the best! I wish my area of the US was more culturally diverse! When I lived in Calgary, we had SO many ethnic foods around.

·
Registered
962 Posts
My daughter's fiance and his family are originally from Russia. So whenever I visit, I get to eat Russian foods made by his mother. They are really good. I got so tickled by my oldest grandson. . .he called me up several years ago and said, "Grandma, I ate some Russian food tonight". I asked him what it was. He said, "Chicken and Rice"!!! I guess chicken and rice is a universal food dish!!!

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
I'm a hispanic woman that was raised in the south so it's all been hispanic and southern cookin' for us.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts