Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We recently changed from one parish to a different one ( Catholic Church ). The reason is that over the past 14 years the old parish has gotten more and more geared to the elite. We felt like the clergy sucked up to the wealthy and looked down on the rest of us. At times we thought the Mass was beginning "In the name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Rich People..." So we finally started going to a different parish, one that is more welcoming and friendly, and are much happier there.

Has anyone else experienced something that made you change churches?

·
Registered
4,379 Posts
Yes I have been in a similar situation. We attended a large church in town for several years and I could really feel the difference between the haves :dollar: and the have nots :(

I did move to a smaller church and was more in line with me and my finances at the time. Now that we have moved out to the country, we attend a small church here. It is over a 100 years old and very beautiful. I am aware that there are some people with a lot of money in the congregation but you would never been able to pick out which ones. Everyone is very kind and loving and it's the least judgemental church I have ever seen.

I hope you find a wonderful spot in your new church and are happy. Being comfortable in your church is very important. How can you worship if you feel less valued because of how much money you have?

·
Registered
7,854 Posts
We changed churches a few years ago , due to doctrine issues. We were attending a church in the same denomination as we had always attended (and had attended this particular church for over 6 years). Suddenly we had a huge influx of new member who had VERY different ideas about salvation, baptism and so on.

There was a terrible fight- and the church split. We left only because the ones who were left did not agree with my beliefs- so we now attend a church (again, same denomination) that does fit with my beliefs.

·
Master Dollar Stretcher aka AmyBob
5,738 Posts
I am seriously thinking of changing churches right now. I'm Catholic, too, Megareader, and it used to be unheard of around here to change from the parish in your town.

However, the church here is very money-oriented.... in fact, they called me on the phone at the beginning of the year wanting me to commit to XXX number of dollars that I would be donating this year, and got very huffy when I told them I couldn't commit to a specific amount. There have been many more incidents like that one since I moved to this parish.

I'm thinking of driving fifteen minutes to the next town over... they're supposed to have a wonderful parish that is very modern. Supposedly they don't even have kneelers or pews- I've never been to a mass like that!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts