Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just realized I've only had one oil change in the past 15 months, and still have about 2000 miles to go til the next one. I reviewed my car's mileage, and calculated that I only drove 4306 miles in the past 12 months.

With the soaring gas prices, I've done a lot less driving.

My Allstate insurance policy is based on 8000-10000 miles per year. I called my agent and found I'm eligble for a $37.31 reduction in my premium based on my new estimated annual mileage.

That's $74.62 in savings for the year just for driving less. :toothy:

The cheapest gas in the area is $3.15 a gallon.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Wow, good for you! I wish I could do that, but it's about 20 miles one way to my job, plus all the other running around I do. I put a lot of miles on my truck.

·
Registered
9,412 Posts
Yep, every little bit helps, glad you got the discount! :)

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
I feel your pain on the gas prices! Here the cheapest this past weekend was $3.19/gal. It took over $80.00 just to fill my tank!!! I've NEVER paid that much before. I'm doing less driving on purpose.

Good for you on the discount! :)

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
That's a great discount. I have been driving a lot less too, I was due for an oil change in early March or at a certain mileage, I haven't hit that number yet though. I think I still have 1,000 miles left before I need my oil changed. Gas is pricey, I just put $22 in my almost empty tank and it didn't fill it, that's for sure!

·
Registered
814 Posts
My car was due for an oil change by the dates about a month ago but I still have about 2,000 miles until the mileage listed. Is it safe to go that long? Just curious ;)

I'd love to cut out all the oil changes if I could since we're obviously nowhere NEAR getting 12,000 miles a year!

·
Registered
392 Posts
Congrats on the discount.

I thought oil changes are for 3000 miles or 3 months, whatever comes first.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What most of us think of as "normal" driving is actually "severe service" driving. This includes frequent short trips (less than 10 miles, especially during cold weather), stop-and-go city traffic driving, driving in dusty conditions (gravel roads, etc.), and driving at sustained highway speeds during hot weather. For this type of driving, which is actually "severe service: driving, the recommendation is to change the oil every 3,000 miles or six months.
http://ca.autos.yahoo.com/maintain/answer.php?lubrication_answer4.html

·
Registered
491 Posts
Congrats on the discount.

I thought oil changes are for 3000 miles or 3 months, whatever comes first.
It's 5000 miles or 5 - 6 months if you drive mostly freeway miles. Hubby used to be a mechanic, so these things are ingrained in my memory, (un)fortunately.

·
Registered
442 Posts
It's 5000 miles or 5 - 6 months if you drive mostly freeway miles. Hubby used to be a mechanic, so these things are ingrained in my memory, (un)fortunately.
The 3000 mile things really gets my goat, especially when it comes from the dealer, who ought to know better. I just pull out my car's manual whenever they start that nonsense. I drive like a little old lady, and every 5000 miles is perfectly adequate for my vehicle.

·
Registered
216 Posts
My mechanic wants me to change my oil every 4000 miles. Sometimes I go over that but not by much. I drive in a lot of stop and go traffic.

·
Registered
19,004 Posts
Yes, every bit does help and you are one smart cookie for thinking of calling your insurance agent to get your rate reduced. I would have never thought about that one.

·
Registered
12,790 Posts
That is a nice savings. WTG on being proactive and calling your agent to get your discount :) . It sounds like you are saving even more by limiting your driving and you are doing great things for the enviroment by decreasing your driving. Keep up the good work :dancing: .

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
It's not good to leave oil in that long. Sorry to burst your bubble. Oil can get old and gunky if left for long periods of time. It's probably okay to go a little longer time wise, but not quite that long.

It's better to spend a little in oil changes than to have to spend hundreds to replace an engine because we wanted to save a little money by not changing the oil.

Just my two cents.

·
Registered
261 Posts
We change our oil about every 6 months (we drive VERY little)...winter weight oil goes in around September...summer weight oil goes in early May. Many folks up here (Alaska) do it this way...

It's worked for nearly everyone we know for decades now (my dad has done this for a looooooong time, he's the one who taught me...he's 75 now and has worked on cars, on airplanes, worked as an electronics tech, natural gas industry, etc...VERY knowledgeable about the mechanics of various things).

·
Registered
4,279 Posts
My car was due for an oil change by the dates about a month ago but I still have about 2,000 miles until the mileage listed. Is it safe to go that long? Just curious ;)

I'd love to cut out all the oil changes if I could since we're obviously nowhere NEAR getting 12,000 miles a year!
Yes, it's safe to go that long. My DH is a mechanic and I am a FANATIC about my car running well. It takes me about a year and a half to go 3000 miles (sometimes longer) so DH rarely changes my oil.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts