Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok not too long ago I was here sharing how DS11 was suspended for spanking a girl at school. Next issue different DS-DS10 was suspended today for tripping while he and other boys were horse playing and causing another child to trip over him and be hurt. Heres my question school policy reads:
"A pupil shall not be suspended from school unless superintendent or principal of the school in which the student is enrolled determines that the pupil has:
(a) caused, attempted to cause, or threatened to cause physical injury to another person.
(1)threats, mutual combats or (2) assault, battery"

So what do you intrepret from this statement?
If the injury was accident caused when others including the injured were horse playing would this apply?
Thanks in advance for your input

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
To me, it means the injury would not have happened if there had been no horseplay.What kind of simple horseplay results in injury? And where was the teacher?

·
Registered
9,412 Posts
To me reading that statment, means, you son did not intentionally cause harm, therefore he should NOT be suspended.

The kids were playing around as ALL boys do.

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
eek - I would have expected something along the lines of ISS, but NOT out of school suspension - that's a bit excessive IMO

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Though maybe not intentional, your son did cause harm to another child while he was horseplaying. So how I read what it says in determining if a child should be suspended...the principal is right to suspend your son.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok as I respect everyones opinion I see what all are saying. If my child was the first to be tripped and fell why was only he suspended I guess would be my question

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
When your son tripped, or was tripped he was not hurt. When another child tripped over your son and fell, he was hurt.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Is their an appeal process? If you don't agree with the decision go up to the school and talk with the Principal.
A few weeks ago we got a call from the school saying that our son was going to be suspended for 3 days! Mind you, this kid has never even had detention or ISS or anything. Nothing. I went up to the office, met with the Principal and he was in school the following day. No suspension. I should also add that my son was found, after further investigation, to be not guilty.
Good luck to you. I know boys can be trying at times.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Ok as I respect everyones opinion I see what all are saying. If my child was the first to be tripped and fell why was only he suspended I guess would be my question
If your son was intentionally tripped by another child and then another boy tripped over him, the only one that should be suspended in my opinion is the boy who tripped your boy. Does that make sense? Geesh, he's not even my boy and this matter has me in a tizzy. :)

·
Registered
3,281 Posts
Sounds a little weird, I wonder just HOW MUCH horseplay was going on? If it was really out of control, maybe, but without witnessing it, it's hard to know the true situation. By the way, I have a son who has always been the one to get caught and punished, even though I know there are always others playing a part in it! I feel for you.

·
Master Dollar Stretcher aka TraciBob
1,840 Posts
Schools are way out of control today. Punishments are never given out equally in our schools either. I have gotten into many arguments over my son getting in trouble for something that others were involved in as well, and they did not get anything. I hope you have better luck with your school. I am so tired of dealing with mine and getting no results. We are actually at the point of soon suing the school they have gone so overboard. I can't wait until my son graduates in June and gets the heck out of that school. I have a few years to go until my next one is there, and hopefully, some of the ones in charge will be gone.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
When your son tripped, or was tripped he was not hurt. When another child tripped over your son and fell, he was hurt.
Yeah well actually he was hurt also. His scrapes ended up under his clothes so noone knew. His leg and shoulder are all scraped up.

I actually talked to the vice principal who did the suspension and she investigated further and it was found that my son was not "guilty" and the suspension was lifted. No note to his file at all.

Now mind you I found out my son sat in the office from 10:40am til 1:30 and was not even given lunch. Child services informed me this could be referred to the sheriffs office I chose to do so. I didn't though.

Thanks all for your support and opinions

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Schools are way out of control today. Punishments are never given out equally in our schools either. I have gotten into many arguments over my son getting in trouble for something that others were involved in as well, and they did not get anything. I hope you have better luck with your school. I am so tired of dealing with mine and getting no results. We are actually at the point of soon suing the school they have gone so overboard. I can't wait until my son graduates in June and gets the heck out of that school. I have a few years to go until my next one is there, and hopefully, some of the ones in charge will be gone.
I just saw your post and wanted to comment. I went to the assistant supertendent in January regarding the way I was treated by the principal. It was investigated and to my knowledge he was at least spoken too. Now I honestly believe that alot of my boys being in trouble all of sudden may be due to this. I am preparing to go back to the district again and am prepared to consult any attorney. Good Luck! I too am counting th days to be done with this school. New policy for next year is you may apply for interdistrict transfers to other schools. I am considering this right now. DS 11 goes to jr high next yr:bang:

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
(a) caused, attempted to cause, or threatened to cause physical injury to another person.

I would think that means any injury even if it was an accident.
Horse play all boys do but when it gets out of hand and someone gets hurt I think it is covered under (a)

Just my opinion.
Eileen

·
Registered
586 Posts
I would appeal and maybe go for an ISS. I had a similar situation with DD15, never in trouble, perfect attendance since the 3rd grade now a freshman. She was involved in a food fight. She states someone threw a carrot at her and she threw it back. (This is my child who hates all veggies so I believe her that it wasn't her carrot!). She admitted to threwing it back and she got an in school suspension. We tried to appeal but she did admit to throwing the carrot. She took the ISS and it is not on her record but nonetheless it is upsetting to get that call. She was devastated. Live and learn. My older daughter was in the caf at the time and I know if she was doing something bad she would have been the first to tell me but she defended her to the end.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts