1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9,751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
I read the article. I feel that words like skyrocketed are a bit of an exaggeration.

Prices are going up, but according to the article it is only about 10 percent on average. So if you normally spend $100 a week on food, now it will be $110. It is a hardship if you are on a tight budget, but still doable.

And it helps if you can be flexible. If pork has gone up a lot, you can eat chicken or other meat.

·
Registered
9,751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Food prices in 2019 rose 0.90% on average in the US, so by comparison 10% is quite a large bump.

Myself, I have not noticed many price increases, most things have returned to pre-panic prices. However the sale discounts are not as good. I used to buy chicken for .99 or 1.99 per pound on a monthly basis, but less is being processed, and it's not being put on sale at those prices any more.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
The sale thing is a very good point. I don't think that gets factored in.

With the cost of well pretty much everything being high here I am in puzzlement and wonder when I see people complain about prices that would be normal to me. Or even a good deal to me.

But I am not sure how to say anything that would not sound callous.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
I've noticed price increases. Fruit for .99/lb is non-existent. Paper towels are insane for even store brand. I need to stop using those!!

·
Registered
9,751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm sorry to hear that Rujerro. I hope prices come down in your area soon.

Fruit and vegetables haven't changed much here. Aldi has grapes for .99 and peaches for .89 this week, and another store has peaches and nectarines for .97/lb. The store I went to yesterday had blueberries for 1.59. I don't know where you live, but median income here is 45k a year.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Fruit and veggies (fresh) haven't increased where I live. Organic meat, as other meat, has.
Food is my biggest line item in my budget so I did notice an increase.

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
I'm starting to find excellent markdowns...Angus ground beef for $1.79/lb with a short sell-by date, for example.

(I bought 7 pounds. Lots of grilled burgers in the freezer now.)

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
Prices seem as-usual here with a few exceptions. Gallon of milk surprised me being $1 cheaper than I recall. Liquid soaps only available in smaller container. Glad I learned to make liquid from bar, definitely will do again when needed. Overall I feel we are doing OK.
Brother shops at Aldi close to him and asks me to buy things he cannot get there though. I don't know the size of his store, maybe it is small and less stock?

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
Lots of things have been on sale recently. Ground beef sales pretty frequently - $2.99 for 80% lean and $3.99 for 93% lean. Canned vegs & beans $.37 limit 12 this week. Boneless chicken $1.99/lb frequently. Hubby's favorite cereal was out of stock everywhere for about 2 months, cause unknown. It is recently available again.

·
Registered
9,751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I believe things are starting to cycle through again. It's been 6 months, so animals have matured, crops have grown and are being harvested, etc. Products are getting out to stores regularly. I have seen some good sales around here the last couple of weeks, too. However, I'm still seeing gaps on shelves. Yesterday I noticed the natural and organic section of the store I was in was pretty thinly stocked, with boxes and cans spread out in a single row to cover missing items.

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
our usual sales here.. still hard to find wipes. somethings on sale because seasonal like fresh local apples. hopefully better meat deals soon. did get some decent coupons out of the local paper $4 off dry cat food and free uncle bens beans in a bag and seeds of change rice. pre cooked. nothing I would normally buy unless free coupon or super cheap.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts