Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To the moms of babies and toddlers, how do you find time to exercise and what exercises do you do? I'm trying to get into the exercise habit for the first time since dd's birth and I'm finding it challenging. The length of her naps is very unpredictable so I can't rely on nap times for exercise. I decided I needed to ask about this today as I was trying to do yoga and dd was crawling around underneath me, pulling my ponytail, etc. :laugh:

Aren't they sweet!? :angel2:

·
Registered
3,045 Posts
Awww!! :D I remember doing yoga and having Ayla crawl around me, crawling on my stomach and then trying to get a piggy back ride ;)

This is what I did, and do...
If she wakes up while I'm in the middle of a workout, I rush in, change her, kiss her and all that, then plop her in the highchair and give her her breakfast (usually I premade it to save time) Then I'd finish my workout while she eats.

But if it's one of those days where she just never takes a nap, and I don't wake up before she goes to bed...I will take her out for a jog/walk or to the pool.

She has a floaty boat that she sits in, and I will push her with that in front of me while I do my laps. I get a good workout for my legs/abs doing that.

I also have a jogging stroller i am using a lot more now. I bring along her water bottle and one of her favorite toys. Sometimes I will let her get out and walk around with me, and sometimes she likes to run around with me. I play with her through the 'sun roof' in the shade part, and she has a good ol' time :) I point out the pony's and cat's and tree's ....so she does not get ignored the whole time...

If you don't have a jogging stroller just pushing her in a regular one, and walking, is a good workout too :)

Also, just using your baby as a 'prop' to workout can work too. I like to 'sneak' workouts with ayla by playing with her...Hide n seek/chasing type games can be a great cardio workout if you are running around a lot, and AYla loves dancing to music with me, she LOVES when I use her like a barbell and do bicep curls! Strange, but she loves it. I also like to do Plie's while holding her and raising her up in the air ...I'll look around for a site that talks about using your baby to exercise.

But mainly to get a workout done before she wakes up I just have to really rush and get my shoes on/tape in, the second she goes to lay down. I"ve also learned that sometimes her crying doesn't mean she's actually awake or ready to get out, so I will finish the workout and she'll just fall right back to sleep.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oooh great tips Heather, thanks! I've also used Emily as a weight - she likes to do the bicep curls, too! :laugh: And I had to finish my Firm video last week with her on my tummy as I was doing crunches. I love getting out and walking w/ her in the stroller (I don't have a jogging stroller), but it's been too hot for that lately. We need a pool! Aaahhhh :D

·
Registered
3,045 Posts
That's really cute having her on your tummy :) I wish I could still have ayla do that, but she would just bounce up and down on my tummy until she breaks my bladder :eek: :D

OH! I thought of another thing I can do with her in the living room playing...well if she's distracted and not asking me to hold her :D

I will do jumproping for cardio but without using the rope, just an 'invisible rope' you know so there isn't any danger of her getting wacked with a jumprope...and I do that for about 10 minutes (breaking it up, like jumping on one foot, then the other etc.)
Then I can lift my weights for a good amount of time too without her getting in the way. If she does want me to hold her then I just go back to doing those bicep curls with her, or something else similar. :)

·
Master Dollar Stretcher aka AmyBob
5,738 Posts
I bought a video that's Yoga for Moms & Babies. It's really cute- you use the baby in various positions. And they're all really easy stretches- no complicated yoga poses.

I am also trying to take Maria for long walks in her stroller. The only problem is that she usually starts crying unless I carry her at least part of the way- so I get the added exercise of carrying a baby AND pushing a stroller. ;)

·
Registered
948 Posts
I've been trying to do crunches with Isaac. I sit him on my belly and each time I come up I tickle him or giggle or say some silly thing. He thinks it's a blast and it ends up being more of a workout for me because I hold my crunches longer. Isaac also loves walks and usually sleeps right through them. Living in the country, though, it is extremely difficult to maneuver a stroller down a gravel road.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the great suggestions! Emily & I got in a good workout today...it was our neighborhood garage sale day so we headed out and had a really long walk up and down hills pushing her in the stroller (Plus I found some great stuff!) :D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts