Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At my Dr. appt she mentioned to me that if I used a mail service I could get my meds for cheaper and get 90 days rather than 30 days at a time.

Has anyone used the mail order services?

·
Registered
530 Posts
Yes. We have for several years for our long-term scripts. The only trouble I've ever had was when dh's company switched mail-order pharmacies and the new pharmacy wouldn't let me transfer my script from the old one. I had to go back to the doctor and get a new one. It was a pain, but only happened with that one pharmacy (don't remember which one now since it was over seven years ago). I've been able to transfer to other mail-order pharmacies without problem.

The one we use now lets us put our medications on auto-fill and will remind us when we need a renewal. It is quite a bit less expensive to get the 90 day than 3 of the 30 days. Our ins. company requires that we use mail order for any medication we take longer than 90 days in a row.

Walmart also fills some prescriptions for 90 days and is less than through our mail order. For those medications, I just fill them at WM without the insurance.

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think ours is Medco but I would have to check.

I refuse to step foot in WM so that isn't any option :lol:

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
DH has 2 meds thru the mail. Blood pressure and acid reflux meds, our insurance is thru CVS Pharmacy, it is a 90 day supply, and is much cheaper. We haven't had any problems yet, been doing it for several years. Saves us lots of $$ and comes in the mailbox.

·
Registered
9,304 Posts
I have, but shop around. With my last ins plan it was $150 by mail for a 3 mo supply of pills and over $600 from the pharmacy. With my current plan it is $800+ for mail order and $450 from the pharmacy. (And it was $325 from Canada Drugs so you can guess where my money went).

Reactions: NikoSan999

·
Registered
68 Posts
I have Medco and they messed up one of my presriptions and it was a royal pain. I now refuse to use them. My hometown pharmacy does a 90 prescription for $9.99.

·
Registered
13,930 Posts
my Dmom does it and has had a few wrinkles but I think most were from her lack of understanding. She had a credit and was messed up about how to use it up. Her prescriptions are so cheap I teased her I was going to steal them from her mailbox. Like .89 for generic 90 days?

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
I have Medco, and they've been fine. My only problem was when ordering, they would tell me that it would be 2-3 days, when they really meant it would be 2-3 days AFTER processing shipping which would take another 2-3 days.

·
Registered
9,916 Posts
I have, but shop around. With my last ins plan it was $150 by mail for a 3 mo supply of pills and over $600 from the pharmacy. With my current plan it is $800+ for mail order and $450 from the pharmacy. (And it was $325 from Canada Drugs so you can guess where my money went).
Is there a website for this Canada Drugs? How do you order....get the prescription to them etc? I can barely afford one of my scripts and have to beg samples from the doctors office 2 or 3 times a year.
How do you do this please

·
Registered
12,986 Posts
No, and when I was investigating and reading about it what I gathered was that unless you took an RX--or multiple RX-- that were over $100 a month it wouldn't be worth it.

I can get my one and only RX at WM for $10..........generic..........for 90 day...........so I do.

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
I have to use mailin for any prescriptions that I take regularly. We currently have Caremark (which is CVS). My only complaint is that I have to make sure I mail my prescriptions in plenty of time because they can be slow to fill. AND they use UPS Mail Innovations. I hope they get a HUGE discount because it takes a full week to get my scripts from San Antonio Texas to Houston Texas. USPS 1st Class Package would get it here in two days MAYBE three.

My mom had to use them and I had several problems with them, but that was over 5 years ago. They have improved, but have plenty of room to improve.
We had Medco before Caremark and I loved them! I could mail my scripts and receive them in a week start to finish. And they were out of state!

And I forgot to say I basically get three months for the price of a month at the drugstore. So it is a savings.

·
Registered
9,304 Posts
Is there a website for this Canada Drugs? How do you order....get the prescription to them etc? I can barely afford one of my scripts and have to beg samples from the doctors office 2 or 3 times a year.
How do you do this please
Canada Drugs Online | Canadian and International Dispensing Pharmacy

First, you need a new copy of your prescription. I just call the nurse at my Dr office and ask them to mail it to me "for mail order refills". They deal with this all the time and it should be easy. Ask for a 90 day refill.

Click on the New Order button. Look up your drug. Sign up for an account. Give them a CC#. They will send a confirmation email. You will also get an order form to print off which you can put in the mail with your script, or you can reply to the confirmation email and attach a scan/photo of your script. A person will call you to confirm and complete the transaction. Caveat: the girls who call often have heavy Indian accents. Just listen carefully, go slow, and ask them to repeat things. They are usually very sweet girls, even if you can't understand them half the time. I did once have to ask for a supervisor because I just could not understand, but it all got fixed quickly.

I've used this company off and on for ten years now, usually when we don't have insurance, and never had a problem with them. Customs intercepted a package once, but the pharmacy is used to that happening and will send a replacement right away.

Reactions: NikoSan999

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
I have used mail order pharmacy and for some meds it is cheaper; but I am finding that if I go to Costco and get them it is cheaper than using my insurance. One example; 2 of my meds with ins are $15 EACH. If I go to Costco they are $13 for both. I have also learned if you have a Costco membership and then you go to the pharmacy and "sign up" your scripts are even cheaper. I am currently buying 5 of them without my insurance.
I also used a Canadian pharmacy before and it works just fine; I would be sure that you use one that requires a script to make sure they are legit.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
I used mail order RX for several years..I had no trouble at all..Infact there was a couple of recalls and they were right on top of them..

·
Registered
141 Posts
My new insurance forces us to go mail order on an "maintenance" meds.

I take three daily long term so unless its an emergenc, they will not pay for those at the local pharmacy, I have to pay cash. They are all generic so I was paying 10 /mo for each of them local. for mail order I get two monthly still (have to) for 7.77 total for the two and the other is less than 10 for a 90 day supply.

My only complaint is getting started with them. Took over two weeks, close to three to get my first supply of pills. Now I reorder about two weeks before Im going to run out with their autofill feature and they just show up in the mail.

·
27,948 Posts
We use Caremark (CVS) mail order for our maintenance drugs. Cheaper for sure & getting a 3 month supply (doc gives us a script for 90 day supply with 3 refills)at a time is nice. They email you a reminder when it's time to refill ... Click, click at their website and they come in the mail in a few days. Easy Peasy.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts