Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm still on a quest to come up with a great capsule wardrobe. Idly surfing this week, I found this blog:

MaiTai's picture book

Now, I'm not about to go wild and splurge on Hermes scarves and accessories.

But the gal who writes that blog has a lot of fashion sense. I admire her use of accessories -- especially scarves.

But, the thing I've found most inspiring (and actually frugal) is her use of a simple wardrobe. Take a look at this series, where she shows an outfit, then the same outfit with her accessories.

She seems to embody the fashion principle, "Think more; shop less."

·
19,119 Posts
Makes sense to me!! Mahalo for sharing the interesting links!!

Reactions: Early Bird

·
Registered
4,225 Posts
Armed with an idea you can go to your favorite secondhand store and easily find these looks from the top of the head to the shoes for an easy $20.

The trick is to have an idea of what you are looking for. Find one item in the ensemble you want at the store and put a look together.

I love her look and it is one I have been working with since last winter. I look forward to seeing what she does in her warmer weather wardrobe

I bookmarked her site so thank you for the link!

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
Oh...I love this blog and all the great fashion ideas. Thank you so much.

·
Registered
7,747 Posts
Very Cool!!!

·
Registered
955 Posts
Thanks for sharing. It really is amazing how having a good foundation can allow gorgeous accessories to completely change a look. Works in fashion. Works in home decorating. I really need to be better about embracing this philosophy as a way to simplify.

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Armed with an idea you can go to your favorite secondhand store and easily find these looks from the top of the head to the shoes for an easy $20.
You are absolutely right that you can thrift your way to an elegant look!

Here are some of my 2ndhand scarves:

View attachment 16779

Except for the hot pink colorful one (Liz Claiborne. silk. $6 on ebay), I don't think I paid more than $2 for any of them.

While some are polyester, most are silk. Two are Vera, one Patricia Dumont, one Jacqueline Ferrar, and one Liz Claiborne.

And I have several others in the closet.

I wore one today, but I made a big mistake -- it wasn't pressed, so it had too rumpled a look.

HOW do you care for your scarves? And how do you store them so that you keep them looking neat?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.