Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a friend that has found it necessary to find a job to help out with family finances. She has asked that I watch her 5 year old. It has been almost 8 years since I have done in home day care. What are your rates if you have a day care? What are others paying? Any advice would be helpful, this family are very good friends and we want to be fair but I need to be worth my while also.

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
Good question. I may be wathcing a two month old soon and I wondered the same thing, myself. Five years ago, I watched a toddler for $4/hour.

·
Registered
140 Posts
As a former home daycare provider...there's not enough money in the world. Just kidding. Kind of. =D

Seriously, I quit 10 years ago, and back then I used to charge around 2.50 and hour and was constantly told that it was low. So I'd say $4 an hour sounds reasonable. How about calling a couple of daycares in your area to get an idea of what the going rate is?

·
Technical Support Sleuth
6,481 Posts
My daycare provider charges 125$ a week. It's a rate that she set and she felt comfortable with. When Wesley needed formula, we provided it. We also provide diapers.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
I am a licensed provider in Wisconsin. However each city is way different. I say call around some places to see. A 5 year old is pretty easy. They can eat, potty, play by themselves and since family friend maybe a little less then average?

For number purposes I charge $3.25 an hour for 5 year old and $4 an hour for infant. I do have weekly rates of $130-$150 up to 45 hours.

·
Registered
3,244 Posts
My rate for preschool:
$650/mo
$40/day or
$25/ 1/2 day.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Daycare in my area is $150 a week! Not that it helps you any, just thought I would throw that in there.

·
Registered
639 Posts
For preschool age care $25 per day is the going rate here. full days are considered anything over 6 hours.
I pay $11 per day for afterschool care.
I have to provide lunch (packed, ready to eat) as well for full days.
A 5 year old that is not in school yet will need some activities if she is in home care rather than a preschool, so that is why it's $25. I also pay extra for feild trips.
If she wants to be able to take advantage of the tax deduction for child care expenses at the end of the year, you'd also have to provide her with receipts and claim it on your taxes as well.

T

·
0 Posts
We pay $250/week. Around here it ranges from $180-$300 weekly depending on the provider/program/age/etc. We provide diapers and wipes, and we had to provide formula/breast milk/baby food until our son was 12 months.

I'd check online and see what your state offers - when we were looking for a daycare, I was able to find all kind of information on average rates, what was re-imbursable if you were on public assistance, etc. on our state website.

·
Registered
287 Posts
When my kids were in daycare it was $14.00 for half day (4 hrs and under) and it was $24.00 for a full day. We had to provide meals also. This was for a 4 and 6 year old. They didn't take infants so I don't know what the going rate is. When my kids were smaller they were in a in home daycare and I payed $25.00 a day or $2.50 and hour. She provided meals when they started eating table food but I provide formula and baby food.

·
Registered
5,603 Posts
My DSIL keeps 3 children, two boys and a girl. The oldest boy is 5 and is in kindergarten. She only has him after school for a few hours. The 3-year old girl and the baby boy (who is a few months old), she keeps all day, from like 6:30 in the morning until about 4 or 4:30. She provides meals for the girl and snacks for the older boy. The Mother provides all the needs for the baby. She gets $345 a week for the three. At first she had the 2 older ones and was getting $200 a week for just them.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Here in Nj it is very expensive the Ymca chrges 1100.00 amonth for infants. I do not know of place that charges less than that for a liscenced facility. As for private people noone here does it for less than 50.00 a day and thats a bargain if you can find it. My bf is a nanny in a very ritzy area and gets 700.00 a week cash for one girl 6 who is in school now thats a gig

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
When I quit my daycare a couple of years ago I was charging $110 for ages 1-7 $120 for an infant and I kept a couple of school age children for the summer and I charge $85 a week for them. I agree that you should call around to a few of the in home daycares and get their prices and charge around what they charge. This is work and it is important work and you should get paid a good wage for it.

·
Registered
5,898 Posts
I charge $38 per day which works out to $190 per week.

What you need to do is find out what the going rate is in your area. Perhaps finding other people with their children in a home childcare and what they pay or other providers and what they charge will help you make your decision. You don't want your rate to be over-the-top high where you'll never find families, but you also don't want to short change yourself. It also depends on what you have to offer.

A word of advice would be to have a contract spelling everything out! You don't want gray areas like should they pay for their child's sick days or not?...should you get paid for statutory holidays or not?...etc. You want everthing spelled out so there are no questions or else your friendship could go down the drain.

Reactions: xtena and freebs

·
Registered
549 Posts
i think it totally depends on what is the going rate in your area.

here it's around $20-$30 a day. it also depends if you're going to supply snacks and lunches.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
My dau pays 25/day for one 3 yr old. Plus every Monday she provides & every child's parent, 1 gal milk, 1 bottle of juice, 1 box of cereal & 1 snack. Plus diapers & wipes when needed. So, what is the real cost per week??

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
wow. i must live in the wrong area! i pay $10/hr and have since dd's birth almost nine yrs ago! even when we had a 1/2 time nanny!.....

i think asking at least $7.50/hr sounds fair...to me that is...jmho

1 - 20 of 26 Posts