Frugal Village Forums banner
61 - 80 of 139 Posts

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Soupn- My organizing tip for a freezer is to designate a shelf or area for a particular thing...I have shelves in my side by side and on the freezer side, one shelf is for meats, one for breads, another for sides.....And I try not to keep things in their boxes. I take them out, write dates/ any cooking instructions on the bags.

We freeze bread/bagels and have been using quite a bit. All of it is thawing now.
DS2 has been thawing the summer peaches and We've thawed all hams/turkeys/fish/chicken. Only protein left is beef.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Food Ingredient Recipe Cuisine Dish

This was excellent. I’m down with Covid so I’m not up for anything complicated. I took a 1.5 Lb London Broil from the freezer, put it on a trivet in the Instant Pot and added 2 cups beef broth, some pepper and a bit of steak and chop seasoning. I set it for an hour. When it was down to about 30 mins I cubed up some potatoes and put those in the second Instant Pot and set them for 13 mins. I took the meat out when the it was done and checked it. Fork tender! I chunked it up with the fork than added a couple packets of brown gravy mix and turned it on sauté and let that cook a bit then dumped the potatoes and the meat back in. It was excellent!

used 3/4 Lb of potatoes, a London broil, and a couple gravy packets. I’ve also used four mini croissants, four strips bacon, four slices of cheese and made grilled bacon and cheese sandwiches. Also two sleeves of whole wheat Ritz crackers (Covid is rough the first few days).

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #63 ·
well overcooked dinner..the underdone to over cus in oven too long but meah someone will finish it.

2 packs of 3 sausages, half a bag frozen french fries, sm bag peas/carrots, ms smiths apple pie, jar of alfredo sauce, bag of frozen shrimp, frozen fresh herb pasta, hotdogs wrapped in crescents rolls and a bag of chips. yogurt, bread, milk etc. container of ice cream.

·
Registered
13,246 Posts
Finished off the taco shells this week. They get rancid after a while so I try not to keep them around too long. Used some miso packets. May toss the rest. New bag I opened is not white miso like it says, but some dark bitter flavor I don't like. Used coconut flour for pancakes this morning. About enough left for one more breakfast worth. Will make crepes with ham and cheese next weekend. Used up some frozen cherries and aronia to make a fruit sauce for the pancakes.

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #65 ·
large pack of hamburger think about 3 or so pounds 3 packs of taco seasoning, can of black beans (need more) half a bag of frozen onions. you can tell what we are having tonight. usual bread etc. hit bakery so stocked for cinnamon buns, bread etc for holiday weekend. did throw away a old opened jar of cowboy candy japalenos that ds wanted..as been over a year.

pulled out old libby pumpkin puree..think a couple years old but don't know what to do with them toss or ...

·
Registered
13,246 Posts
pulled out old libby pumpkin puree..think a couple years old but don't know what to do with them toss or ...
Should be fine if can is not dented or leaking. Will be a dark color but fine to eat. Use it to thicken tomato sauce or chili, or any tomato based soup. There are a variety of easy pumpkin spice cookies, you can add choc chips or nuts, or drizzle on icing.

·
Banned
1 Posts
This fall, I have planned to pass on a driver's license ( already did it, now new plan - to buy a car:ROFLMAO:), to learn how to cook Paella, meet with my friends for our annual gaming competition( this year I won cause some days before I found word finder, which helped me later to become the best player this year) and I wanted to visit my grandma at least 2 two times in a month

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Back to cooking post Covid! Used up two lbs of steak tips and a lb of small potatoes as well as three mini ears of corn. I’ll hear up some garlic bread I’ve got kicking around in the freezer too. There’s enough that we will have leftovers for a couple of days. I’ll have to cook a few more ears of corn which I also have in the freezer.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Back to cooking post Covid! Used up two lbs of steak tips and a lb of small potatoes as well as three mini ears of corn. I’ll hear up some garlic bread I’ve got kicking around in the freezer too. There’s enough that we will have leftovers for a couple of days. I’ll have to cook a few more ears of corn which I also have in the freezer.

·
Registered
965 Posts
hikr00: Always good to hear/see the words "POST covid"!!

I stocked up a bit on fresh storable veg at the last farmers market of the season a few days ago. Got a bit of lamb meat and made a stew Sunday night that I just finished for lunch today. Still have plenty of potatoes, squash, onions, and carrots. Stocked up on tinned fish at the discount grocery store.

Used up flour and purposely stocked rye flour, coconut flour and a bit of tapioca starch to try to get away from wheat for a bit.
I honestly don't need to do a grocery trip for quite a while so it's time to get out of the habit of shopping.

My mom sent a box with dried apples, pears, and tomatoes as well as a pound of really good coffee beans! That helps.

·
Registered
4,346 Posts
Got a small frozen turkey breast for $1/lb. Also finally bought potatoes $1/lb - hate paying that much but not seeing the usual sale prices. Pumpkin spice marshmallows marked down to 94 cents, will make a sweet potato casserole. I tasted several - not really amazing, just interesting. I hope there are some better sales closer to Thanksgiving.

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #74 ·
nice mom Maggie! scored a sm smoked turkey cheap for the freezer. mom gave me half the bag of potatoes she bought. think the stew will go to wildlife.

dd got me the precooked bbq ribs on major sale when at library so dinner and one for later. bag of tater tot coins, can of baked beans, frozen pizzas, hotdogs and the reg stuff.

·
Registered
13,246 Posts
We still have a small turkey or breast from last year. I may buy another of Aldi's small boneless breasts next week. Been trying to make space in the freezer, haven't bought any meats the last 3 weeks or so, but cheese was on sale, I got 2 lunch-sized packages of frozen gumbo (I'm the only one who eats it) , DH wanted ice cream, and I'm putting back as many leftovers as I'm taking out.

Lots of Thanksgiving stuff on display, but so far the only sales have been on store brand items. I picked up a bag of brown sugar, and frozen peas and corn yesterday. Already have stuffing. Can make gravy from scratch. Have bags of potatoes and onions in the garage, plenty of butter in the freezer. Have cranberries left from last year. Will get fresh vegs the week of. Don't know if I'll do a pie this year.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
A dear friend sent us a frozen lasagna from Harry & Davidwhen we were down with Covid which was so sweet. It looks o wonderful so I popped that in the oven for tonight, smells so good.

MaggieTru. Yes! I love being able to say “post covid”. That was rough. The box from your Mom sounds wonderful. I need to get potatoes. The local farm we usually purchase from only has the 50 Lb bags and we will never use 50 lbs before they rot. I’m checking another couple of local farms to see what they’ve got.

DLRCPA turkeys are still really high here. I checked today and refused to spend that much. I’m going to keep an eye on them and see when the price goes down.

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #80 ·
wow that is cheap! 1.49 or .99 a lb here. or use points and get free ham or turkey.

I forgot that I still needed laundry soap after being at 2 diff stores yesterday so after having breakfast w friend and giving her the smoked turkey headed to diff one on way home. all the reg stuff but some marked down fruit and meat too..good butchers there and meat. and more marked down halloween candy for next year..hard to find but twisters etc that keep so stocked up. plus the marked down chips etc all good for lunches.

61 - 80 of 139 Posts