Frugal Village Forums banner
81 - 100 of 139 Posts

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
I checked turkeys yesterday when I was at the store. Still 1.49 a lb. I’ll keep an eye on them.

DD and our granddaughters came over last night for Friday Family Movie Night and dd brought pizza for everyone. I found a chocolate chocolate chip cookie mix in the cupboard and I had mini peanut butter cups in the freezer. So I made the cookies in a mini muffin pan and when they came out of the oven I pushed a mini pb cup into the middle. They went wild for them. Plus it was nice to get the package of mix used up as well as the pb cups.
Brown Wood Font Circle Jewellery

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Last night we had hamburger crumbles in brown gravy. Earlier in the week we had corn on the cob with supper. So tonight I used the leftover hamburger crumbles in gravy as the base, shaved the kernels off the remainder of the corn on the cob and topped it with a half bag of mini tater tots to make a shepherds pie. I said to dh it looks like a new meal but in reality it’s all leftovers thrown together. Lol.
Food Ingredient Recipe Tableware Cuisine

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
SD I’ve never heard of tater tot hot dish! This is a bit different with no soups. Actually the gravy I mix in with the beef isn’t a part of the traditional (or how I was taught was the original). But I love gravy so I work it in everywhere I can, Lolol. In Britain if I remember correctly shepherds pie is made with lamb and I think ground beef version is called cottage pie.

Whatever it is called everyone in my family loves it. 😊. I’ll have to try the tater tot hot dish though, it sounds good. I do like cooking with cream soups or cream soup subs,

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
SD I’ve never heard of tater tot hot dish! This is a bit different with no soups. Actually the gravy I mix in with the beef isn’t a part of the traditional (or how I was taught was the original). But I love gravy so I work it in everywhere I can, Lolol. In Britain if I remember correctly shepherds pie is made with lamb and I think ground beef version is called cottage pie.

Whatever it is called everyone in my family loves it. 😊. I’ll have to try the tater tot hot dish though, it sounds good. I do like cooking with cream soups or cream soup subs,
I have made a tater tot casserole years ago but i like the hash brown casserole better still make it when cooking for family.

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #88 ·
nice hikr! being creative w leftovers is what it is about and you need the gravy! or like subway and all those other places do now..take the same things in the subs in a bowl since it is trendy lol trick the family lol

had to go though veggie drawer, one moldy pepper/apple out in yard. w rest of no bake cheesecake (teen didn't gobble up) and some yellow parts on bok choy , onion sprouting and going soft, pepper w bit of bad spots so saved what there was.. bok choy and frozen dumplings/miso soup mix for wonton soup style, onion/pepper w chicken tenders and jar of butter chicken sauce. rest of tenders w leftover half pack of shake and bake style coating.
cake mix w choc frosting and the pecan coconut I opened by mistake a while ago. plus milk bread etc.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Ermadunk what is the hash brown casserole that you make? I have hash browns in the freezer.

Marthamfi. Definitely need gravy. You Canadians do it right with poutine. French fries with gravy is brilliant. Whenever we are in Canada I always order poutine. Northern Maine restaurants serve it probably because of the proximity to Canada and it’s good but the ones I’ve had in Canada are just a little bit better.

·
Super Moderator
24,521 Posts
Minnesota is the Land of 10,000 Hotdishes, dontcha know. 🙂 We were all raised on them. They frequently involve one or more types of cream soup. Hotdish is pure comfort food.

I have some beef gravy in the freezer and tator tots on tonight's menu. Thanks for the reminder about gravy on fries.

·
Registered
4,346 Posts
Got a 13 lb turkey $5.14. I can only fit one in the fridge freezer, already have a frozen breast in there. Sweet potatoes are more expensive per pound than the turkey... o_O
I have a recipe for applesauce pie that I may try. Should taste like apple pie but cheaper.... Bought more of the "pumpkin pie spice" marshmallows for 94 cents, probably good on top.

·
Super Moderator
24,521 Posts
It was tasty, Hikr. I don't buy cheese curds much because they've always been so much more expensive than chunk cheese. So I cut that in cubes or rectangles instead and fake it. 😁

That sounds like a good turkey price. We got a ham for $2.39 last week, which didn't seem too bad for here.

·
Registered
13,246 Posts
Great buy Dlr. And sweet potatoes are over $1 a pound here too. Used to be .39/lb. My Aldi turkey is going to be $12.

Not a lot of good deals this week. Mostly items I don't use, like cake mix and canned soup, fancy cheese and pre-made baked goods. Going to stick to the basics, and get a few items, like flour and canned green beans (DH likes them) if there's any on the shelf. I tried to get .77 frozen vegs the other day and they were sold out of all but 2, frozen peas and cauliflower rice.

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #96 ·
that is good deal for turkey..99 cents per lb or free w points is the cheapest here. Yes I was going to buy some sweet potatoes last store I was in but it was 2.99 a lb!! nuts cus everywhere else is cheaper and we have choice. weird thing w walmarts is that they run out of avocados or don't carry them for a while but yet everyone else has them. don't know if it is the produce dept or ?? I put products out in produce so I notice. yet they do have a variety of other things.

one store that does lots of good stuff has a bunch of tempting new things they put out for xmas.. the nanamio bar cheesecake is calling me.

·
Super Moderator
24,521 Posts
sigh The only pantry challenge I can think about lately is what size window to put in our new pantry.

We did eat up a tube of biscuits outdated in May though, so that's something. I've been making a point of using up what needs using lately, and I threw out a full grocery bag of poultry bones and veggie scraps. I was going to make broth but that's all been in there several yrs so buh-bye.

We're still eating down an overstock of flour. It's outdated but works just fine.

We killed off a case of ramen outdated 3 yrs ago. One case to go. Again, no difference we can see between outdated and fresher.

We still have 2-3 bags of chicken breast bought cheap for dog food. Later we found cheap eggs for them and started using up the overstock of TVP, so could cut way back on the poultry. We've been eating it ourselves. It's slightly freezer burned but tastes fine. It may end up as dog food yet. We used the last bag of TVP last month and the last of the eggs last week, so now we'll need chicken and turkey again unless some other protein bargain turns up in the next month.

We're slowly getting our food back under control.

81 - 100 of 139 Posts