Frugal Village Forums banner
101 - 120 of 139 Posts

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
SD. Keep in mind that I’m 60 years old - this did not happen overnight. Lolol! I have two dear friends and we have a deal that we will text our menus to each other every Sunday. We all agree that without our menus we are like loose cannons in the kitchen and we are scrambling to come up with dinner at the last minute. This way we hold each other accountable. It’s not for everyone but it keeps us all sorted out. 😀

·
Registered
13,246 Posts
Just back from buying canned corn and tomatoes. The corn was .50 and the tomatoes .89, and I had less of each on hand than I thought. Also caught boxed potato gratin on sale. Those are handy for when I don't want to cook. Everything else this week is stuff we have on hand already.

I menu plan during the week when I'm relaxed, otherwise I find myself too tired to think when it's time to cook.

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #104 ·
Good you and your friends keep you on track Hikr! and you don't have a fussy hubby.

well used up stuff by leaving hamburger out of the freezer by accident..hidden lol taco meat and this morning broke a jar of sauce. so just threw the defrosted farmers sausage in the oven and told dd to make pancakes.

used up from freezer a bag of pergories, bacon, farmers sausage. pack of burritos, shredded cheese, frozen pie. others can of sauce, couple of onions, bread, milk, cereal , butter chicken sauce, chicken, end of chicken coating, cookies etc.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Marthamfi the thing is, I do have a fussy hubby! But it works in my favor because I’m fussy too. Lolol. There are things I like that he doesn’t and vice versa so when I made something I love (pot roast) I always make sure I’ve got something on hand that he eats that I don’t (like ribs, orange chicken, sweet and sour chicken etc). You used up a good amount of items this week! Nicely done.

DLRCPA. Free is the best price!

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #107 ·
lol really Hikr! guess leftovers everyother day.

kale was bad so out w a couple of carrots. used rest of carrots for soup w some frozen celery, stewing hen from freezer etc. a frozen mac n cheese, pack of jello, discounted salad kit bought and used same day, garlic cheese bread from freezer, pack of hashbrown patties, hotdogs. reg stuff
bought bread, buns, discounted halloween candy. bag of jasmine rice on sale, lunchmeat, etc.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Marthamfi I typically plan only three and sometimes four meals for the week. The rest of the week is leftovers. I’ll cook one day and reheat leftovers the next day through the course of the week. I like cooking but I don’t want to do it every night so it works out better for me to have “planned overs” the next day so I don’t have to cook. Lolol.

I’m not usually hungry till lunchtime and Dh drinks a slim fast shake every morning for his breakfast and he typically drinks it mid morning so he’s not hungry till dinner time.This means I don’t need to mess with cooking lunch. Yay! I’ve always got ham and cheese, bread,peanut butter and jam, canned ravioli, frozen chicken strips, single serve frozen meals etc in the freezer so if we want lunch we’ve always got choices. This would be MUCH harder to pull off with a family.

When dd was growing up I worked full time as the nurse in an OB/GYN office and dh was out to sea on a vessel as a merchant mariner for six months out of the year. we had a lot of cereal dinners, Mac and cheese, toast, scrambled eggs when he was gone because when I got home at 6:00 and had to handle the animals (including dd. lol), laundry, food, bills, homework etc it was all I could do to keep my head above water. My only plan was to keep dd and I and the pets alive till he came home. With it being just dh and I now this current plan works really well for us.

·
Super Moderator
24,521 Posts
I do similar, Hikr, cook one night and make enough leftovers for 2-3 days. If we get bored with that, I freeze whatever is left in single servings, when appropriate. That gives us quick meals when we need something fast and don't have time or desire to cook.

If we're bored with something and it won't keep and can't be frozen, we eat it anyway, but I try to change it a little to make it more interesting. Like the clean out the fridge stir fry I made last night that had onion, a spare bell pepper, leftover potatoes and carrots, the last bits of ham, and some corn in it. Tasty with some soy sauce and cheese melted on top, and different than the ham, potatoes, and carrots we had been eating. I used up everything needing to be used in the fridge.

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #110 ·
Ah Hikr thought from your menu board you cooked almost every night. Yes we are the same.. I am about 2 meals a day. Only really cook a couple nights a week. Now at least there are more options for easy meals w families. like good mac n cheese, dinner pack w rotissere chicken, salad kits, frozen pizzas. chicken nuggets and fries etc all my easy meals. remember how bad some of that stuff used to be. picked up fresh tortenilli for easy meal later in the week.

just discovered ds can't eat spicy chicken fast food. decided eat out night..said look at coupons on fridge (lots of options within a few blocks here) dh wanted the new blackened chicken popeye burger..A&W beside it then ds said can't eat it upsets system (other spicy stuff doesn't). ..he said remember when we were on trip in motel and he was upset (15 then)..no cus really either you or your sister is having a fit about something every day so you moms know how much mental energy you give it lol but the pub has a blackened chicken club that is way better and cheap so they are there getting takeout.

·
Registered
13,246 Posts
Got rid of the last of the tortillas today making breakfast tacos. Don't know why I buy them. DH won't eat them unless I cook for him. Usually they go stale.

Almost done with one bag of coffee. We're tea drinkers but have been given several pounds as gifts, and I'm trying to work through it by making coffee once or twice a week. Finished off the donuts that came with the fried chicken I bought last week.

Still using peppers collected from the garden a month ago. Need to check and see if any of the tomatoes we collected are still edible. They typically don't last past Thanksgiving.

·
Super Moderator
24,521 Posts
Tortillas freeze well. Even if they get frosty, the frost can be scraped off and they're still okay.

We just had the last of the bean soup for lunch, so that's finally gone.

We're starting to run out of some things, so it's time to restock those.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
This week ending today i used up (between the fridge and the freezer) -
3 pound pork roast
container of mashed potatoes
half pound of baby potatoes
half pound of rotini pasta
one large can of spaghetti sauce
one pound of ground beef
four slices of frozen garlic bread
bag of frozen corn
tube of cinnamon rolls
three packets of pork gravy

I’m sure there were some odds and ends I have forgotten. But overall we did well using up pantry and freezer items.

·
Registered
965 Posts
I've used up the powdered coconut milk, nuts, ALMOST used up the flax seed, and 1 jar of honey (the dregs are in the work fridge with the last of the balsamic vinegar becoming a nice salad dressing).
I ate up ALL the beans and lentils so I restocked on those. To think once upon a time I couldn't be bothered with dry beans. Now I get worried when I'm out.
I think I have 4 jars of chicken stock, and 5 pints of meat, and 6 half pints of gizzards (those are going to someone else! ) from the chicken butchering. And I"m getting an unknown number of jars of duck meat from the most recent butchering event.

I got some popcorn for my winter cozy-treat. It's fun to pop on the wood stove with an old (thrifted) campfire popper. It's also pretty hard to pop too much so that's a win.

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #116 ·
that is what I have to start using have a lot of honey flavoured ones too. starting to separate.

pack of fresh tortenilli, jar of sauce, cheese, container of taco meat, ramen, bread etc. not a lot of cooking happening

·
Registered
12,027 Posts
Pantry challenge used to be one of my favorites along with several others.
What I can remember since last post ...
Can of pineapple, several cans of soup, last of a bag of chicken nuggets and fish sticks, jar of pizza sauce and pkg naan bread, 2 cartons cottage cheese and small container blueberries that were on sale, pkg of provolone cheese, can corn, can green beans, can little potatoes, pkg Red Lobsters biscuits, pkg box of saltines, carton mashed potatoes... my fingers/hands won't let me peel them anymore.... last of pkg bacon bits, 2 large baking potatoes. Carton of margarine, pkg toilet paper, roll of paper towels, I think 4 cans Beefaroni. Not a fan but hubs wanted them so I ate them.

This is pretty much just this month. Some be be from end of last month. Can't remember. I'm eating some weird combinations to use up older stuff and not spend money.

Edited to add that I did add 4 pkgs flour tortillas. I make a lot of quesadillas of various kinds. They were BOGO so I paid for 2 and got 2 free. Only time I buy them.

·
Registered
12,027 Posts
Yesterday and today. I dug all the meat out of a rotisserie chicken that I got out of my better judgement. No enough meat on one to make it worth it least to me. I put in container the meat to use in something tomorrow.
Down to half a jug of V8.
Used half of one of those pkgs of flour tortillas.. Made quesadillas using some shredded cheese and bacon bits. Finished off one jar salsa and opened another one. Coming down home front on small container sour cream.
Tossed 2 cucumbers that had turned to mush. I'm bad about using fresh vegetable.

Reactions: marthamfi

·
Registered
13,246 Posts
I've used 1 and 2 half bags of frozen cranberries. The last of the pre-covid jello. A carton of sour half-n-half (frozen, works like buttermilk) and a package of dill dip mix, and one of onion soup mix. Out of the kitchen freezer used up some ground beef crumbles, last of the cooked rice and beans, and some tortilla chips. Cleaned a few things out of the fridge that were no good, salsa and salad dressing and other stuff. Need to replace both cooking oil and shortening as both have gone off.

·
Registered
12,027 Posts
Box of macaroni and cheese and can of soup with crackers. Nothing tossed

Reactions: marthamfi
101 - 120 of 139 Posts