Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I missed the thing on GMA today about rising costs. So I went to see if there was anything on their website to read about it. Here is the link if interested http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/story?id=3003106 . In the very beginning it says how a family of 4 goes through 5 gallons of milk a month. So I am thinking my family must be overconsuming this product, we go through 6 gallons a week. We are a family of 6, dh, me dd 13, ds 9, dd 8 and dd 2. What is your family size and how much milk do use a week?

·
Registered
91 Posts
we are a family of 4 (almost 5). dh and I, ds 5 and dd 2.5. we go through a gallon a week. most of the milk is used in cereal or cooking. I am the only one who drinks it (with ice)

·
Registered
3,355 Posts
we are a family of 4 and use about 4 to 5 gallons a month. As soon as dd turns two that will be cut in half. The only reason it is that much for us is because dd has to have whole milk but when she can have 2% I will buy a gallon of whole and use it to make 2 gallons of 2%.

·
Premium Member
9,446 Posts
We are a family of six. Me, dh, dd almost 15, dd 12, ds almost 9, and ds 5.

We go through 4-5 gallons PER MONTH. I only buy skim, 1% if the skim is sold out. They rarely drink milk just to drink it. It's almost exclusively for cereal in the mornings or cooking/baking. I just can't imagine going through almost a gallon a day. Yikes!

We prefer to eat our calories I guess :lol:

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thinking I am really going to pay more attention to the milk consumption in this house, and hopefully get our consumption lowered.

·
Registered
9,412 Posts
Wow, we are right now a family of 4 and we only go through about 2-3 gallons a month, but maybe we're not average? lol :)

·
Registered
460 Posts
We are a family of 6. My kids are 12, 10, 7 and 2. We go through 2 gallons a week. I limit their comsumption because more than 2 cups a milk a day for kids really isn't that good for them.

·
Registered
426 Posts
We're a family of 4, but DD#2 is the only one who drinks a significant amount of milk. She drinks 1 liter of milk on her own every day. Plus, what I use for cooking and we use on cereal. So, 2-3 gallons a week.

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
We're a family of 5 but baby is too little for cow's milk yet. We go through a gallon a week, sometimes a bit more. We generally don't drink the milk, we eat it on cereal & cook with it. I only allow the girls one cup of milk to drink a day. My oldest used to fill up on milk and then not eat properly.

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
We're a family of 4 (should probably count as three though since DH probably only uses a gallon a year) and we go through about 6-7 gallons a month.

·
Premium Member
21,255 Posts
Family of 4 here (but I am lactose intolerant so don't drink it), and we go through 1 gal, sometimes 2, each week.

·
Premium Member
3,898 Posts
There are 5 of us and we go through about 5 gallons a week; two toddlers and a teenager, all of them drink milk and eat a lot of cereal, plus cooking, baking, etc. I buy whole milk and I don't limit anyone's consumption. My kids all need the fat.

·
Founder
19,054 Posts
About 3 gallons a week here for a family of 5. If we all have cereal for breakfast and a glass of milk for dinner, we're at half a gallon already. I don't consider that overconsumption.

·
Registered
419 Posts
my family of 3 all of us are adults, my ds is 18 go through about 1 1/2-2 1/2 gallons per week.
I have seen others post that they use dried milk, and mixed it in with reg. milk. Has anyone done this? is there a taste differenct and will my family notice? I dont think I would mind, but I think my Dh and Ds would.

·
Registered
519 Posts
We are a family of 4 and we go through 3-4 gallons of 2% milk a week. My DH is such a big milk drinker. He gets up in the middle of the night and drinks a huge glass of it and then goes right on back to sleep. My kids also drink it once or twice a day. I also use it for cereal but I use powdered milk for baking. No one can tell the difference (that's one of my little secrets they don't know about!). I'm lactose intolerant and might drink a cup of milk a couple of times a year. I have to get my calcium from other sources.

·
Registered
172 Posts
We're a family of 5 and we buy 2 gallons of 1% each week.

Like others, I limit the kids to 2 glasses a day, or they'd drink much more!

·
Registered
580 Posts
We are a family of three but the baby doesn't drink cow's milk yet. We used to consume about 3 gallons a week but now have cut down to half a gallon per week. We both drink milk (and love it!) but try to drink water instead. Decreasing the amount of milk we consume doesn't make it a big deal financially to buy organic milk. It's much yummier anyway. :)

·
Registered
18 Posts
We are a family of 6- me, dh and kids- 9,6,2,1. We go through about 3 -4gallons of whole milk per week. When our youngest turns 2 next fall, I will go back to buying 2%.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts