Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to the local farmers market today which turned out to be much more abundant than I had anticipated. I mostly went to see what I could get there, so I didn't have a list or a plan. I did buy some honey since I'm almost out, but otherwise just picked some produce that looked good to take home. But I felt unsure of what I should buy because I already had my meals planned through Monday. And I've always had this problem. I want to get all my produce local, and then I go and just sort of stand there confused.

Normally I plan out my meals for the week on Sunday and go grocery shopping Monday, using the circular & my coupons. But the farmers market is Thursday. So I guess I could plan out my meals on Thursdays, go to the farmer's market, and then get what I don't find there at Kroger on Monday. But on Thursday the new circular isn't out yet so I don't know what will be on sale by Monday and then it also depends on what there is at the farmers market which might change my meal plans. I guess I could go to Kroger AND the market on Thursdays? Gah!

For those who shop the market for local produce ... how do you do it? How do you work out your weekly meals and shopping there with shopping at the supermarket?

ETA: I know the farmers market isn't always cheaper than the grocery store, but I place priority on local produce, when I can afford it.

·
Registered
9,297 Posts
I try to think of what I can substitute. Like if I had broccoli planned but I see zuchinni at the market I will switch those out. Since I normally prepare our vegs in the simplest ways, it's very easy for me to sub something this way.

I also plan a combination of fresh and freezer/pantry meals. So if I change something up one night I can just bump the pantry meal knowing it won't go bad.

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
I have this exactly same problem. Then I buy too much produce and some goes to waste. I am going to work on this myself.

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
We do boutiful baskets which means it is a *suprise* what produce we have for the week. The fresh veg I love to roast and that can be a side for nearly anything.

Maybe have several ideas of what could be on your menu and nail it down once you see what looks good?

·
Registered
3,479 Posts
Try http: pickyourown(dot)org/scharvestcalendar.htm for a harvest calendar for your area. When you know what's coming or likely to be coming soon, it helps a lot!

Replace (dot) with a period. The link for some reason hit the spam filter here.

Judi

·
Registered
9,297 Posts
Also be aware of what will spoil first. Those potatoes and carrots will keep for weeks, but that lettuce and tomatoes should be eaten within a few days.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts