Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So... we're fast approaching Father's Day.

What ideas do YOU have for your family (if any) to do/give/make/etc. :)

*looking for ideas myself*

I was thinking of a picnic... but may have to make it an early one... as dh has to be outta town the day OF father's day. :(

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
Well, we won't be celebrating Father's Day this year...as DH "forgot" Mother's Day this year and we didn't do anything, I told him to forget Father's Day! :)

But I love the picnic idea! Normally, I try to have the boys make something for him, but we are running out of things we can make that DH can actually use!

If I was going to do something for DH it would probably be something along the lines of his favorite dinner & dessert or tickets to the minor league baseball team close to us (tix are super cheap). Something not too majorly over the top or expensive!

Hope you come up with something good!

·
Premium Member
21,255 Posts
Lauren has a soccer game that day so we'll be going to that and then up to my FIL's after, I'm sure.

But as far as a gift goes, I think this year I'll use my digital camera and take pictures of Kathryn & Lauren together. We haven't had their pictures taken together for at least 5 yrs now, and I'm sure he'd love one for his desk at work.

So maybe I'll just have a 5" x 7" or 4" x 6" printed, or if I get on the ball and do it soon--or NOW I should say--I could have snapfish or a similar place make a mousepad or mug using a picture of them together.

My fil was bugging me to make a banana cream pie for him, so maybe I'll make one to take that day, and we'll probably give him a subscription to a solar energy magazine that he's been eyeing.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
dh's probably working.....*sigh*

but we've gotten him white water kayaking lessons, a belt buckle with bottle opener and a case of beer.

might do a quiet bbq at home with just the family.

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Well, we won't be celebrating Father's Day this year...as DH "forgot" Mother's Day this year and we didn't do anything, I told him to forget Father's Day! :)
In his defense... MD DID sneak up on us.. didn't it!?
It came like a week sooner than expected.

I was surprised the friday before when I heard about it.
:lol3:

·
Registered
4,726 Posts
As a rule DH, the kids and I do not celebrate Mom's Day/Dad's Day.

DH and I do celebrate with our fathers though. DH will get his dad a card and probably cut his yard, edge, weed eat, etc...If we do more for DFIL than we did for DMIL she gets snippy. We have to make sure we keep it perfectly even between the two. If one of them gets "more" it had better be DMIL or we won't hear the end of it.

My dad always leaves for his vacation with my nieces, two of their friends, my nephew, his girlfriend and my step-mom on Dad's Day. I will go visit him the week before and take him a gift.

My dad has not been fishing in years and would love to let the kids and DH take him and DFIL to the pier at the lake before they go on vacation so they could all fish together. My dad is so laid back and never asks for anything. I am always searching for something different to do for him or give him.

·
Registered
787 Posts
my dh is really wanting a snake. so we are getting a ball python.
since my dad died when i was little, i always do something for her for both MD/FD.

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
Michelle just reminded me of a great Father's Day gift that a friend of mine did for her husband. They have three boys, so she dressed them alike, took them out in the yard, and had them lay down on the grass to spell out WE LOVE DAD. Each letter was a different snapshot. Then she took them and put them in different frames, and hung them down the hallway in the right order.

I thought it was the most adorable thing when I saw it done! And it would be pretty easy and frugal, especially if you could find cute matching frames at the dollar store or onsale somewhere!

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
great ideas :)

i'm trying to think of something 15 y/stepds can do for his dad...

i WAS thinking of a pic fram (the oval kind) for each year of school (school pic's)... but we dont have all that many pic's of the years... and there'd be too many "holes" w/nothing from that age.

so... now I'm outta ideas. lol

·
Registered
602 Posts
Any suggestions for a DBF that's not quit a stepdad yet? Her father is in and out of her life, right now he's taking her for the night tonight then said he's too busy most of the summer to take her again. My Boyfriend lives with us pretty much (6 nights per week) and is closer to a father then her real dad. Not sure what to get him though. don't really want to get something that says "I love dad" from her since he's not her dad but something close... KWIM?

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
how old is yer dd?
depending on age, she should simply draw a picture of "the family" together, or have a pic' of all 3 of you together doing something in a frame.

no need to do a full "father's day" thing... but just show that she appreciates his presence, nonetheless.

also it depends i think on how long you and dbf have been together... if it's been years, go for it.

if he's new (say a year or two) I'd either skip it altogether or if you really wanna do something, make it simple... but don't attach the word "father" to it.

just an "i/we appreciate your being around as the "guy" of the house". :)

could be something simple as a "day with his friends" or tix to a movie... or maybe just something he and your dd can do together (movie, mini golf, bowling, etc.)

good luck!

·
Registered
602 Posts
how old is yer dd?
depending on age, she should simply draw a picture of "the family" together, or have a pic' of all 3 of you together doing something in a frame.

no need to do a full "father's day" thing... but just show that she appreciates his presence, nonetheless.

also it depends i think on how long you and dbf have been together... if it's been years, go for it.

if he's new (say a year or two) I'd either skip it altogether or if you really wanna do something, make it simple... but don't attach the word "father" to it.

just an "i/we appreciate your being around as the "guy" of the house". :)

could be something simple as a "day with his friends" or tix to a movie... or maybe just something he and your dd can do together (movie, mini golf, bowling, etc.)

good luck!
thank you so much for the ideas! we've been together over 3 years, living together pretty much about 2.5. I think what I'm going to do is let her get him (she's 5 but we have a fridge full of "family" drawings from her) his wireless adapter he wants off of ebay. technically he's been wanting one for her, so she can play computer games while he works on the upstairs computer, but it's really more of a family thing for everyone. So I can get it from her for him for about $15 off of ebay. I think that may work, not alot, just a simple card saying thanks from her and that.

·
Registered
3,299 Posts
DD will be with her "Big Dad" (my ex) for Father's Day... I will help her make a card for him.

DD, The Old Man and I are going deep sea fishing the Monday after Father's Day to celebrate... and hopefully catch dinner for the week :lol:

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Izzy - I think that's a great idea! ;)

:)

·
Registered
772 Posts
We will probably have a bbq here just family.
We are going to give DH the last few dollars for his Itouch..he's been saving his Christmas and Birthday $$ for over a year, and a lakers conference finals t-shirt..he is way into this upcoming NBA series.
Plus the kids will have school gifts since school is not out until the end of June

·
Registered
266 Posts
for my dad
I've been working on it for MONTHS
his mother used to make an AMAZING spiced cake with peanut butter icing, just absolutely out of this world
unfortunately after she passed, somehow the recipe was lost
I've made DOZENS of cakes over the past few months trying to tweak it and get it just right
so finally I think I got it, so I wrote out the recipe, I'll be putting it in a card, then unveiling the spice cake when he realizes what's going on:)
for FIL
dh is taking him to a local brazilian steakhouse...

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
for my dad
I've been working on it for MONTHS
his mother used to make an AMAZING spiced cake with peanut butter icing, just absolutely out of this world
unfortunately after she passed, somehow the recipe was lost
I've made DOZENS of cakes over the past few months trying to tweak it and get it just right
so finally I think I got it, so I wrote out the recipe, I'll be putting it in a card, then unveiling the spice cake when he realizes what's going on:)
for FIL
dh is taking him to a local brazilian steakhouse...
That is an unbelievably sweet idea! I am so sure he will love it.

·
Registered
266 Posts
That is an unbelievably sweet idea! I am so sure he will love it.
lol I sure hope so
it's one of the most labor intensive gifts I've ever given LOL
it probably took me about 20-25 diff recipes to get it right
of course dh was oh so happy to eat the results the first 10 times
after that lol he just took them to work and let his coworkers have them:)

·
Registered
277 Posts
I got a showerhead as an afterthought for mother's day, so I'm not going too overboard...
Dd & I are going to make him a reese's p-butter cup bouquet! :)
I have tons of vases (from when we were dating & he sent flowers on a regular basis) & ribbon, & even some artificial greenery as filler. Tape the Reese's to sticks & arrange in vase as flowers.
He's seen this before in the grocery store & pointed it out to me, so I expect it to be a hit!
I'm also making him a card on the computer. The front will be a pict of him with the girls, having fun that I took a few months ago.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts