Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not sure if this is really the right place for this since it seems more of a homemade bread thing
but hearing you all talk about your bread all the time makes my mouth water!
anyways my bday is coming up and I think I'm going to ask dh for a bread machine
which one do you have
what do you like/ dislike about it
what is the price range?
will I need special mixes etc? or can I use regular ingredients?
any and ALL help will be greatly appreciated:)

·
Registered
626 Posts
Currently have an OSTER, purchased at Costco on clearance a few years ago for about 30 dollars. It makes the loaf like a loaf instead of a cylinder
I like that.

Used to have a bread man brand. It was hard to use and I didnt like it. Sold that one at a garage sale for 5 dollars.

If you buy a bread machine buy a BREAD MACHINE COOKBOOK or go to the library and read how the machines work.. like its best to make the bread using the last ingredient in the machine first and the water temp has to be warm, not cold for best results...
its an easy read, a few pages and they are very helpful tips for any bread machine

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
I just bought a breadman from costco last month. So far, I really like it. I just looked and didn't see it anymore. I don't have a membership, so I had to pay 5% extra, which was cheaper than getting a membership.

The only thing I don't like is when making batter breads, you have to go in and scrape the sides and bottom to make sure everything gets mixed really good.

Yeast breads turn out really good too. This one lets you choose the size of the loaf and the crust color.

It also makes jam, which I haven't tried yet.

It's this model:

http://www.canningpantry.com/breadman-tr2200c.html

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
I think mine is called "The Bread Box", it makes a 1.5 pound loaf and has a homemade jam setting as well. (I've never used it to make jam) I got it free by asking on the local FreeCycle board.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
I have a Zojirushi which I just love. I rarely bake a loaf in it but use it to mix and rise, then I take it out, shape it, let it rise again and then bake in my oven. If I am pressed for time, I do bake in it and it always comes out great.

I especially like that I can put in my ingredients straight from the fridge and it has a warming feature that brings the ingredients up to the correct temperature and then starts the process. I keep my yeast in the freezer and never bring it to room temp ~ and I put the liquids in straight from the tap or fridge.

I have made freezer jam in mine and it turned out great ~ no problems there either :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts