Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Founder
19,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whether it's for food, clothing, or housewares, etc. what is your favorite store to find good deals?

·
Premium Member
9,446 Posts
Real Deals. Everything is $1 or less, but they're not like a regular Dollar Tree-type store. This store gets the "salvage" stuff from other stores like Target, Sears, Lerner's, Linen's N' Things, etc. Plus they have food, yarn, clothes, books, paper products, etc. I love going in there once a week or so just to see what they've gotten in recently. And you have to buy it when you see it, because it's not like the order more stock. They sell it as they get it and when it's gone it's gone.

·
27,948 Posts
I like TJ Max & Marshalls, never know what I'll find on their shelves. As far as department stores, I always find good deals at Kohls.

·
Registered
2,142 Posts
I love my salvage grocery Petricks!
They carry everything but fresh veggies. I save a ton of money by shopping here. Both children realize that its saves too. Both hve told friends moms abut the place.

Laurie in Bradenton

·
Registered
216 Posts
For clothing shopping, I like to go to JC Penneys or Belk. I can get super good deals there by shopping the clearance rack certain times of the year.

For food, Kroger seems to be the best here. They double coupons, and have a nice selection of discounted food.

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
I shop my $1 store regularly. I find my face soap, vacuum bags, small gifts, cards, wrapping paper, name brand items (shampoo and conditioner sometimes), seasonal items, and so much more. I shop there 1-2x per month for big savings in the budget :).

·
Founder
19,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Registered
216 Posts
I've found that our dollar stores generally don't have good deals :( I like the prices on greeting cards, and I've picked up a bunch of small toys for sewing projects pretty cheap, but other than that the stuff is way too overpriced. I've even looked through their cleaners, but it's cheaper to either use coupons at Kroger, or use baking soda and vinegar.

What is everybody finding at the dollar stores, that makes it worthwhile?

·
Founder
19,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Registered
962 Posts
I love General Dollar and Family Dollar stores. They always have such great buys and they are getting more and more name brand items in stock. I also LOVE the Ross and Marshall stores. Ross carries my fav coffee. . .Hawaiian Macadamian Nut Coffee. . .oh the smell is to die for!!!!!

·
Registered
4,726 Posts
The bread store near my house. They do not sell day old stuff, it is all in date and very fresh.

I get loaves of Wonder bread for $0.59 each, boxes of Nabisco 100 calorie pack for $1.00 a box, hamburger and hot dog buns at $0.50 for an 8 count package, Enteman's Little Bites for $1.00 a box.

My favorite place for the kids' clothes is Plato's Closet. I go to the in that is 5 minutes from the Auburn University campus (45 miles from my house) because those college kids will sell anything. They have the best styles and no junk. The location near my house has a lot of crappy clothes, no good name brands and is not worth the time.

Last week I got them......
~NorthFace jacket (excellent condition - if bought new this style cost $125) for $30
~a brand new with tags Under Armour hoodie sweatshirt for $14 - (they are $65 at Kinnucan's)
~Abercrombie, American Eagle, and Hollister shirts for less than $10 each.
~New with tags Polo's for $10
I spent $130 and got them two full bags of clothes.

·
Registered
539 Posts
I love the Salvation Army Thrift Store.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
I love the Goodwill in our neighboring town. It's awesome, and has some killer deals, plus a bargain barn where they put stuff that isn't selling, and it's sold really cheaply.

I love Dollar Tree and Dollar General too, especially since they started letting the managers mark things down to half price or less in DG. I buy a lot of stuff that way.

I also love Big Lots, but I'm not a big spender, so I only go there when I need something I can get cheaper there, like makeup. I love finding name brand makeup for less than $3!

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
Which dollar store do you go to? Here there are so many with different names.
The one I like to shop in is called Dollar Tree and everything in it is $1 or less. They seem to have special merchandise, maybe from other stores...so sometimes I find name brand items in there for food and toiletries. I stocked up when they had Vive shampoo and conditioner a few months back. Of course, it isn't there anymore. I always keep my eyes open while I am in there, you never know what you might find that you are currently buying somewhere else for more money :). The one I go to carries my face soap and it sells online for $3 or more for a bar. It's Pears Soap and one bar for $1 lasts me a month or longer :). I also buy the Pure & Natural body bar soap
(3/$1) it's gentle on my sensitive skin and the 3 bars are enough for my fiance and I for a whole month.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I live for the Dollar Tree. They have the best stuff and it's all $1. Great for basics! Some of their toys are junky but you can find some gems like wooden puzzels and nice hard cover books. I go a few times a month and they always have new things. If you see something you like get it because it won't be there when you go back...I've made that mistake a few times.

·
Registered
4,367 Posts
I really like Walmart, although it has a bad rep with some people. :duck:

·
Registered
6,281 Posts
right now theres a 70% discount store christmas store till after new years in my area. I love it.They lots of things in there besides xmas stuff. Cant wait till this weekend when I get my family allowance to get some xmas stuff for the kids.

·
Premium Member
21,255 Posts
I love our Dollar Tree. I get all of my greeting cards & stationery there.

I also love shopping at JCPenney, Sears, and Target--especially their clearance racks and "one day sales". I often combine these deals with GC's, and if I'm shopping online, I order through mypoints.com for even more savings.

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
I like the Dollar Tree and Family Dollar stores.

Also Big Lots. Was able to buy a cafe set for $50 for my balcony. The same set cost around $90 at other stores around here.

I only go into the dollar store when needed. Otherwise I end up with stuff I probably don't need.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts