Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
19,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
DH got a pressure cooker for Christmas. Do you have any favorite recipes for the pressure cooker? Any thing special you would use the pressure cooker for?

I would really appreciate any and all suggestions! mahalo plenty!!

Reactions: frugrrl

·
Banned
10,457 Posts
You may not enjoy this but the only thing I use my pressure cooker for is beans.

I've been guilty of overcooking them in the PC, but it sure blows the crock pot/slow cooker away. (i'm sure with many other dishes too)

And beans takes a long time to cook so that's why I love the pc.

Not to mention way more healthier than canned, tastes better and saves money in the long run. :)

Reactions: mauimagic

·
Registered
290 Posts
I love my pressure cooker. I usually only use it
for two things. One is to cook a whole chicken
for dumplings or noodles.

My favorite though is pork steaks. I just put in
a little bacon grease and a bit of water. They
become so tender that you can't get them out
without them falling apart. My Grandson wants
these everytime he comes to visit.

You might want to check out this site also:

http://missvickie.com/

·
Registered
639 Posts
So far the only thing we cook in the pressure cooker (which we borrow from my mom next door every time) is venison roast.
My mom is the one who taught us this & Mr P is the one who cooks it.

the roast is browned on 2 sides in a bit of oil, then add 1 cup water. we vary the seasonings each time, last night he put a bit of beef bouillon cube & some fresh onion in. We like to put rosemary in too. Cooked for 30 min. when done, the roast is removed & a can of cream of mushroom soup stirred in the juices for the gravy. the meat comes out very tender. Everyone loves the gravy too.

Congratulations on your new Pressure cooker! Hope you learn lots of good ways to use it.

·
19,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Mahalo for the ideas and the links!!

DH had mentioned several times this year that he had always wanted one, then....... when he opened the box, his comment was "WOW!! I only wanted one to make oxtail soup!!" LOL - well, now he'll find a lot more things to make.

Palooka - I was going to use it for beans first thing - great minds you know!!

·
Registered
541 Posts
Roast with potatoes, carrots & onions. Add enough water to cover the roast, some bouillon cubes and pepper to taste. When done, make some gravy using the broth and add back to the roast.

Beef tips and thin gravy.

I've used mine to make pear halves in light syrup. You only have to pressure them a couple of minutes. Let cool and place in a "laid down flat" ziploc bag & gently add the syrup and freeze with the bag laid flat. These make great pear salads.

& I do the beans too.

Be sure to NEVER fill the pc over 2/3rds full. Explosion waiting to happen. Guess how I know?

·
Banned
10,457 Posts
Palooka - I was going to use it for beans first thing - great minds you know!!
It's nice cuz they cook in 15 to 20 minutes flat. (depends on the beans) I just make a big batch and freeze the rest.

But you got to soak them for sure for the pc.

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
I use my pressure cooker almost daily. I cook all fresh vegetables in it. They take from 2-4 minutes. I cook pork chops and scalloped potatoes in it. Brown pork chops add potatoes, when the top starts rocking; put timer on for 12 minutes. Cool under cold water take off top. Chops are so tender you can eat them with a fork. I also make potatoes in them all the time; they take 10 minutes; red and yukon gold less. I like my pressure cooker so much I have 3 of them. Roasts with potatoes, onions and carrots take 20 minutes.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I love mine... My gram taught me how to use one... I only use mine to cook meats. They come out owww sooo tender... in little time. I also use it to make stuffed peppers. yummo. I stuff the peppers and set them in and add about one inch of water ( I usually add potatoes at this time also) then under pressure for about 20 minutes then I add the spagetti sauce and simmer a few minutes.

·
19,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It's nice cuz they cook in 15 to 20 minutes flat. (depends on the beans) I just make a big batch and freeze the rest.

But you got to soak them for sure for the pc.
Palooka - do you soak them overnight or what?
Also, I never thought of freezing beans - anything I should know about the freezing process?

·
Banned
10,457 Posts
Palooka - do you soak them overnight or what?
Also, I never thought of freezing beans - anything I should know about the freezing process?
Yes, this is what I do and so meal planning can be hard. :p Most pc will tell you to soak beans.

I put them in a huge bowl filled with 5 times the water they need and let it sit in the fridge over night. Beans suck up water.

The longer you soak the faster they cook. I drain the water and rinse really well and see if there is any bad beans hanging out with the good gang of the beans and then discard.

I place the new beans in with the amount of water they call for in the PC. Once it gets hot and starts to rock, I count the time down.

As far as freezing goes, I'm not digging plastic bags because you can get freezer burn and also you can buy freezer paper that does a much better job.

·
19,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Mahalo Palooka. As soon as I restock my bean supply, I am going to give the PC technique a whirl!!

·
Registered
221 Posts
Yes, this is what I do and so meal planning can be hard. :p Most pc will tell you to soak beans.

I put them in a huge bowl filled with 5 times the water they need and let it sit in the fridge over night. Beans suck up water.

The longer you soak the faster they cook. I drain the water and rinse really well and see if there is any bad beans hanging out with the good gang of the beans and then discard.

I place the new beans in with the amount of water they call for in the PC. Once it gets hot and starts to rock, I count the time down.

As far as freezing goes, I'm not digging plastic bags because you can get freezer burn and also you can buy freezer paper that does a much better job.
Yup, soak the beans. I just soak mine in the PC pot right on the stove. After they're cooked I put them in jars in my fridge and aim to use them within a week. When I see the last jar is 1/2 way full, I start soaking for another batch and cook. That way they're always ready for meals.

·
19,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Great idea frugrrl - that way they are already ready to use- no excuses!! Mahalo!!

Reactions: frugrrl

·
Banned
10,457 Posts
Mahalo Palooka. As soon as I restock my bean supply, I am going to give the PC technique a whirl!!
Did yours come with a little cookbook? Mine did and it had the cooking times broken down. I think chickpeas takes longer to cook than most other beans.

I was scared to use mine when I first got it. lol

·
19,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
From the horror stories I'm not surprised you were afraid to use it at first!! I'm going to check the box to see if there are instructions inside it. The grocery store was almost out of dried beans tonight - and no garbanzo beans at all - shall check around to find some. Garbanzo beans were on sale at the store - 2 cans for $3.00!! I'm waiting to find the dried ones!!

·
Banned
10,457 Posts
From the horror stories I'm not surprised you were afraid to use it at first!! I'm going to check the box to see if there are instructions inside it. The grocery store was almost out of dried beans tonight - and no garbanzo beans at all - shall check around to find some. Garbanzo beans were on sale at the store - 2 cans for $3.00!! I'm waiting to find the dried ones!!
Wow, that's high! Dried is always best plus they make cute decorations in your kitchen. :D I have mine in all glass jars on the china cabinet. lol

I had my dh help me the first time around. Funny thing is he can hardly use a microwave, but he helped me through it.

Now when you do buy them you will have to promise me you will try out my chickpea salad recipe. :) It's pretty much like tuna salad, but just with beans. Yum.

·
19,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Mahalo Palooka - I love garbanzo beans and will defintiely make your salad!!

1 - 20 of 44 Posts