Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are your favorite Southern dishes....Want to share the recipes..??..

·
Registered
501 Posts
Our FAVORITE would be Shrimp and Grits!

Cook 3c (dry) grits (not instant) according to directions.

1/4 c. butter
1 small onion chopped
1 lb. shrimp, peeled and deveined, tails off
4 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
1/4 c. chopped fresh parsley
1 1/2 c. shredded cheddar cheese
Salt, black pepper and cayenne pepper to taste

Cook the grits as directed. Saute onion in butter until transparent. Add shrimp and cook until no longer pink. Stir in crumbled bacon and fresh parsley then quickly remove from heat. Add salt and pepper to taste (we add cayenne to individual bowls for those that like it spicy). To serve: scoop grits into bowl first, top with shrimp mixture then shredded cheese, some of us then stir it all together. This makes 5 servings at my house. Good, good stuff!

·
Premium Member
3,524 Posts
I absolutely LOVE Southern food! Will be waiting and watching for more recipes :)

Banana pudding has always been a big favorite in my family. Just layer vanilla wafers and sliced bananas in a casserole dish, pour warm cooked vanilla pudding over it all and let it chill. Good served with whip cream, but not necessary. I always use the cooked vanilla pudding because the instant pudding has a weird taste and texture and it's just not as good if you use the instant stuff.

By the way, this is also pretty good with chocolate pudding instead of vanilla!

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
I love chicken and dumplings, country fried steak and onion gravy, coconut cake, sweet potato pie. . .I could just go on and on since I'm a southern girl!

Reactions: Paws

·
Registered
10,774 Posts
Chicken fried steak and gravy

4 tenderized beef cutlets (known in supermarkets as "cube steak") OR 1 round steak, with fat removed, that you've tenderized yourself (see above)
1 egg
1/4 cup milk
all-purpose flour
cooking oil or melted Crisco®
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/4 teaspoon paprika
1/4 teaspoon white pepper
Beat together the egg and milk and set aside. Mix together the salt, black pepper, paprika and white pepper and sprinkle on both sides of beef cutlets.

Dredge the cutlets in the flour, shaking off the excess. Then dip each cutlet in the egg/milk mixture, then back in the flour. (You're going to get your hands messy here, so take your rings off.) Set cutlets aside on a piece of waxed paper.

Heat the cooking oil in a large cast-iron or other heavy skillet over medium-high heat for a few minutes. Oil should be about a half-inch deep in the pan. Check the temperature with a drop of water; if it pops and spits back at you, it's ready.

With a long-handled fork, carefully place each cutlet into the hot oil. Protect yourself (and your kitchen) from the popping grease that results. Fry cutlets on both sides, turning once, until golden brown. Reduce heat to low, cover and cook 4 or 5 minutes until cutlets are done through. Drain cutlets on paper towels.

Cream Gravy
After the cutlets are removed from the pan, pour off all but about 2 tablespoons of oil, keeping as many as possible of the browned bits in the pan. Heat the oil over medium heat until hot.

Sprinkle 3 tablespoons flour (use the left-over flour from the chicken fried steak recipe) in the hot oil. Stir with a wooden spoon, quickly, to brown the flour.

Gradually stir in 3/4 cup milk and 3/4 cup water, mixed together, stirring constantly with the wooden spoon and mashing out any lumps. Lower heat, and gravy will begin to thicken. Continue cooking and stirring a few minutes until gravy reaches desired thickness. Check seasonings and add more salt and pepper according to your taste.

·
Registered
10,774 Posts
I also like Ham and red eye gravy. yum

Ingredients:

2 tablespoons margarine
1 slice of ham, about 1/4-inch thick
2 tablespoons strong, brewed, black coffee
4 tablespoons water
Preparation:

Melt margarine in skillet and fry ham until done. Remove ham to a platter and keep warm. Add coffee and water to the fat; bring to a boil. Serve gravy with the ham and grits.
For a large slice of ham or two slices, double amount of liquid.

·
Registered
689 Posts
What my Mother called Southern Franks

Slice up some hot dogs in a cassarole
dump on some chunks of tomatoes
drop in some diced onion, celery
top with corn bread slurry
bake til done.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Chicken Spaghetti:

2 cups diced (or cut up small) boneless chicken
1 can cream of chicken soup
1 cup milk
2 cups shredded cheddar, save 1 cup for topping
7-8oz spaghetti, cooked

Mix it all together except for the 1 cup of shredded cheddar, turn into a buttered baking dish, top with cheese, and bake at 350F for about 1/2 hour, or until it's bubbly and the cheese topping is melted.

Reactions: l8eebugg and Paws

·
Registered
8,935 Posts
Chicken Spaghetti:

2 cups diced (or cut up small) boneless chicken
1 can cream of chicken soup
1 cup milk
2 cups shredded cheddar, save 1 cup for topping
7-8oz spaghetti, cooked

Mix it all together except for the 1 cup of shredded cheddar, turn into a buttered baking dish, top with cheese, and bake at 350F for about 1/2 hour, or until it's bubbly and the cheese topping is melted.
I think they also call that 'Chicken-etti' but they add in the spiced tomatoes or 'rotel tomatoes' - either way sounds delish!

My fave - the country gravy w/biscuits or fried chicken :)

·
Registered
7,787 Posts
Plain ol' fried chicken.

Start car.
Drive to a Popeye's (or better, Raising Cane if you're feeling richer)
Turn into drive through...

Ok. Not the frugal way, but I never fry chicken, so buy it out once in a while for a treat. I could eat it every day, but have to be grown up about this.

·
Registered
8,935 Posts
Plain ol' fried chicken.

Start car.
Drive to a Popeye's (or better, Raising Cane if you're feeling richer)
Turn into drive through...

Ok. Not the frugal way, but I never fry chicken, so buy it out once in a while for a treat. I could eat it every day, but have to be grown up about this.
I so agree that its not frugal and truly is a treat whenyou hit the drive through lol I do not deep fry anything in the house...and I despise it when my dad shallow fries anything....oil everywhere :(

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
I so agree that its not frugal and truly is a treat whenyou hit the drive through lol I do not deep fry anything in the house...and I despise it when my dad shallow fries anything....oil everywhere :(
Our local Piggly Wiggly (grocery store) sells fried chicken in the deli... $3.99 for 8 pcs of dark and white meat. It's way better than Walmart deli and for the money much better than KFC. Works for me and there's no mess to clean up.

I'm a fairly new southern belle... only been in the south (Alabama) for a lil over 2 years after being born and raised in the north (Michigan). Can beat beans, turnip or collard greens, banana pudding and cobber in my book. BTW... looking for an authentic tried and true southern cobbler recipe if anyone has one...

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'm a fairly new southern belle... only been in the south (Alabama) for a lil over 2 years after being born and raised in the north (Michigan). Can beat beans, turnip or collard greens, banana pudding and cobber in my book. BTW... looking for an authentic tried and true southern cobbler recipe if anyone has one...
Well, here's a belated welcome...This is one of my family's favorite recipes for a tasty southern peach cobbler.
Hope everyone enjoys it!!

Southern Peach Cobbler

1 cup flour
1 cup sugar
1 cup milk
1 stick of butter or margarine - ((your choice and preference))
1 large can of peaches - ((can use those canned in juice or lite syrup))
1 tsp or more - ((to your own taste))

Melt your butter in the dish you are going to use in the oven.
In a small bowl mix the sugar and flour then add milk, pour into the melted butter then pour the peaches into that.
Don't mix anything, then sprinkle cinnamon over the top of that.
Bake about an hour or so on 400.

Thanks to all for submitting their excellent sounding Southern Recipes...I want to cook them all lol.

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
Love Southern cooking, it's what I grew up on. Fried chicken, chicken and dumplings, chicken and dressin', country fried steak,
fried catfish, fried green tomatoes, pinto beans with fried taters and cornbread. I guess us Southern folks like our fried foods!

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Love Southern cooking, it's what I grew up on. Fried chicken, chicken and dumplings, chicken and dressin', country fried steak,
fried catfish, fried green tomatoes, pinto beans with fried taters and cornbread. I guess us Southern folks like our fried foods!
YES!! Of course, we all know that it's not the best for us, so we have to compensate in our diets...but it's awfully good...:D

This is my favorite way to fix our beans and cornbread...

3 cups Great Northern Beans or Pinto beans
1 medium to large onion-diced
salt and pepper-to taste
1 ham hock
water

I soak a desired amount of either Great Northern Beans or Pinto beans overnight, after I've already picked through them.
When I get up in the morning, I drain the beans and rinse.
Add back to the Slow Cooker. Add enough water to cover them by about an inch.
Add onion. Cover.
Turn Slow Cooker on high and cook for about an hour.
Turn Slow cooker down on low and let cook for several hours until desired texture. I prefer our beans with a little bite, not too mushy.
Add salt and pepper to taste.
Serve with cornbread and extra onion. Yummy...:cowwave:

Enjoy!

PS...
Not trying to be crass...but we've found that by rinsing the soaked beans really, really well...it helps tremendously with the...uhmmm....gas emissions thing...:blush:

·
Registered
3,972 Posts
When I lived in the South, I looooved hush puppies. However, it was only good in moderation. Southern food just has way too much fat, cholesterol and sodium in it for me to eat all of the time. I always wondered how people lived past 40 eating all of that stuff. :)

I will, however, admit that I do love me some bbq pig. Pig roasts were big for us and a fellow co-worker had this awesome recipe for a marinade for the pig. I found that it was basically the same thing that a lot of southern BBQ places used on their meat. It had a lot of vinegar in it, but it was pretty tasty.

Reactions: Paws

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
My family's Southern, but we eat our fried food in moderation and it's mostly in the form of an accent for yummy veggies fresh from the garden. We're more likely these days to have grilled chicken than fried -- it's just too hot to deep fry in the summer and the scent lingers! Heaven for me would be a huge plate of purplehull peas topped with tomato relish and some hot water cornbread. I like fried fish every so often, biscuits with gravy or mayhaw jelly, new potatoes (boiled), candied sweet potatoes, dressing (no hardboiled egg in mine, though) and Cajun cooking: crawfish, etouffee, red beans and rice, shrimp and grits, gumbo, etc. I like chicken strips, too. Pecan pie, sweet potato pie, and banana pudding are always good. I don't eat a lot of pork, so ribs, ham, fried chops, etc., are out for me.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts