Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am tired of turkey sandwiches, turkey soup and turkey tetrazzini (sp). Also, feeling a bit lazy today.

What are some of your favorite turkey recipes?

·
27,948 Posts
I love making fried rice with just about any leftover meat. This recipe is close to mine & I'd just switch the shrimp for turkey. So good, easy and a taste switch for you.

·
Registered
9,297 Posts
I never get tired of turkey sandwiches. However, the other thing we like to do is make pot pies. I cut up all the leftover meat and add cubed potatoes, carrots, and frozen peas and corn. Thicken with flour and butter, and a little cream. I throw in any leftover gravy, too. This mix can then be frozen, and baked with pastry later. I made 3 tubs of it from Thanksgiving, and we'll be having the last of it later this week.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok, both of those sound good! I don't have sesame oil, but I'm sure it will be fine without it. And good idea on the turkey pot pies-I have 4 bags of Turkey I must do something with quickly.

Thank you.

·
27,948 Posts
Ok, both of those sound good! I don't have sesame oil, but I'm sure it will be fine without it. And good idea on the turkey pot pies-I have 4 bags of Turkey I must do something with quickly.
Thank you.
I usually use peanut oil because it's cheaper & I usually have it on hand since I use it at other times since it doesn't mind high heat. It's good whatever kind of oil you have though.;) And I usually keep a bag of the peas & carots mix in the freezer so I can whip this together with leftover beef, pork, chicken and the wish I could have more often shrimp.:D

Pot pies, yum!

Reactions: Booklover

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I know that would make it tasty, but we have a peanut and tree nut allergy in the house, so I have to find substitutes. I remember how good turkeys deep-fried in peanut oil were! Yum!

·
Registered
265 Posts
I love to make risotto with [frozen] peas and parmesan with leftover roast or grilled turkey. I use Mark Bittman's (How to Cook Everything) very simple risotto recipe and plain medium-grain rice (i.e., no need for expensive Arborio).

Kara

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
I used to like to make turkey a la king when I baked whole birds. I used the recipe in the Betty Crocker cookbook but they're all pretty similar. Here's a basic recipe from allrecipes: Turkey a la King Recipe - Allrecipes.com

Reactions: Booklover

·
Technical Support Sleuth
6,481 Posts
What about a hot turkey sandwich? Perfect if you have leftover mashed potatoes and gravy.

Take two slices of bread, cut diagonally. Place two halves of bread and place on plate. Put a dollop of mashed potatoes on the plate between them, layer the bread with turkey. Put bread on turkey, then cover with gravy.

It's delicious. And VERY VERY healthy. :)

·
Registered
123 Posts
Our school cafeterias make turkey turnovers. I was never a huge fan, but now they have a fundraiser turkey turnover dinner, they're so popular! Basically, it's shredded turkey meat, take a circle of pie crust and fold it over a scoop of meat, crimp edges with fork, to make a half moon shape, bake till pastry is done, serve with mashed taters and gravy.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, I ended up making a turkey version of Shepard's Pie. That way I used up some veggies, too. I just chopped the turkey, added the vegetables and some seasoning (onions, etc) , some cheese and mixed it all with gravy. Spread mashed potatoes over the top, a little more cheese, and popped it all in the oven until warm through.
The kids loved it!

Darlene, I made rice yesterday so I will defrost a package of turkey and try your fried rice recipe. I am in the mood for it!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts