Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I looked for some venison stew and roast recipes on here, but didn't see any for game.

I was given a few pounds of venison stew meat and one roast, and I need to cook them today, since I didn't get at it yesterday. Any favorite recipes?

I don't come from a family of hunters, so I'm not experienced at this.

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
I just use it in place of beef in recipes. ( remember it tends to be leaner than beef)

My favorite is in chili but I usually used ground venison for that.

People who don't like wild meat tell me if you are Italian seasoning or tomatoes that that helps tame the wildness.

I look forward to see recipe others like.

Good luck

Reactions: Booklover

·
Registered
379 Posts
I would crockpot the roast with a marinade-type sauce.
We usually use a mix of soy sauce, worchestershire sauce, olive oil, rosemary and either cider vinegar or wine.

·
Registered
595 Posts
I take my vension roast and cook them in the crockpot. I use fresh garlic to tame the flavor. Just make vension like you do beef.

·
Registered
7,747 Posts
My family used to soak the meat in brine to draw out that game taste. Also a whole milk soak for rabbit. At least 24 hours. I don't know why it works, but it does.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, everyone. Here's what I did: I put the roast in the crockpot with a little red wine, brown gravy mix, worchestershire sauce, onion, garlic and pepper. Isn't done yet, but planning to eat it tomorrow.

For the stew, I used my old stand-by recipe from the old "I Hate To Cook" book. Anyone remember that?

I only changed it to add a bit of wine to tenderize it, and had 2 small "end of the garden" tomatoes lingering around the kitchen, so threw them in, too.

Made rice, and it's all ready for supper!

That was easier than I thought. It does not have a gamy flavor, thank goodness, because I didn't know about the marinade in milk bit. I will be prepared for that the next time.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts