Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My SO and I are currently waiting for word on when he will be sent to another city for a few months via his job. The only upside to his leaving is that I will finally be able to stock up on cheese in the fridge :laugh:. Even the smell horrifies him, so it's generally banned unless vacuum sealed in an airtight container.

I will be getting delicious medium cheddar, goat's cheese, Brie and Camembert to start off with. :D

Any cheese fans care to share what their favourite cheeses are and, if you like, any dishes they taste good in?

·
4,028 Posts
I recently came across a White Cooper at the Dutch (Amish) Market. It is very flavorful and borders between semi soft and hard in texture.

But NOTHING beats a sharp, crumbley cheddar! ;)

Do you like your cheeses with accompaniments like mustard or balsamic vinegar?

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
:lip: That sounds yummy.

Ceashels, I generally eat cheese by sitting down with a substantial slab of it on its own and steadily slice bits off until it's mostly gone :couch:

I'm not a big fan of mustard, but I love balsamic vinegar. I've actually never paired balsamic vinegar with cheese!

·
4,028 Posts
I found a spiced balsamic that is wonderful with Stilton and dried figs. You might be able to make a spiced balsamic by adding some mulling spices and letting it steep for a while.

I also could just nibble at a slab all day. *there's no shame in that*! LOL

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That sounds especially delicious. Do you just dip the cheese into the balsamic vinegar when you eat them together?

Also, I would like to add: white stilton with apricots/cranberries is awesome :thumb:

·
Registered
11,016 Posts
A good aged cheddar, yum. We were getting some canadian stuff for a while then they stopped carrying it. I've been enjoying the Blarney Castle Irish cheddar lately.

I love Parrano as a nibbling cheese. It is just firm enough and has a nice flavor by itself.

A medium blue cheese, like Point Reyes, is what I use for salad dressing. Love it over greens with walnuts.

Really can't get into fruit and cheese together, except with the blue cheese. I sometimes have it with apples.

I used to be able to get a stravecchio here that was made in the US, kind of like parmesan but with a bolder flavor. It was almost like eating a really aged dry cheddar.

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
I enjoy blue cheese on a hamburger with sauteed onions. So far I haven't found a cheese I do not like. I do enjoy smoked cheese. Like to shave romano cheese over some hot noodles with either some butter or olive oil and some fresh ground pepper.

·
Premium Member
9,446 Posts
I love Cheddar! Close seconds would be Asiago and Feta. I've not tried many others. The only cheese I don't like that I've tried are Limberger :puck: and American.

·
Registered
66 Posts
My husband and I devoured two good sized wedges of Wensleydale (with cranberries) over the holidays. It was heavenly! We tend to snack on it with tea.

·
4,028 Posts
That sounds especially delicious. Do you just dip the cheese into the balsamic vinegar when you eat them together?

Also, I would like to add: white stilton with apricots/cranberries is awesome :thumb:
I bet it is! I usually drizzle the vinegar over the cheese but end up keeping the bottle handy!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hello, loving the different cheeses you all have mentioned! I get a brie from the local warehouse store, roll out a can of refrigerator croissant unti lits flat, and wrap the cheese with it, dab it with egg white and water, then bake it for 45 minutes. I serve it with raspberry jam and a little fruit, hubby LOVES it.

·
Registered
860 Posts
I like very sharp cheddar, Havarti, mozzarella, Swiss, Monterey Jack, bleu and Edam. We had never tasted Edam cheese, but were given some for Christmas from www.msucheese.com. I like to make a cheese ball with cheddar, cream cheese, bleu cheese, mayo, worcestershire, red pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, and finely chopped pecans.

I've only tried Brie once and I just could not taste anything. Perhaps I should try it again.

I forgot about Provolone and Parmesan -- love those. I have wanted to taste Wensleydale ever since Wallace mentioned it :). A good, sharp cheddar served with warm apple pie is wonderful.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
I love cheese although I'm not very adventurous.

My favs are bleu cheese, Swiss, very sharp cheddar, Bel Paese and parmesan with the whole black peppercorns or is that Romano? I don't know. *blushes*

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
I haven't met a cheese I didn't like. Yet, anyhow.

·
Registered
15,626 Posts
I haven't met a cheese I didn't like. Yet, anyhow.
Me either. My kids will trip over each other trying to get to the bleu first when i pull it from what we've dubbed our own cheese cave. We make our own for the most part, but LOVE LOVE sharp cheddar, either by cabots or cracker barrel.

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
i likw the walmart whole milk with mozzerella, drizzled with balsamic viniagrette.

what stinks about cheddar? cheddar stinks? huh.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
I love cheese! I like to go to Whole Foods and get the little bits of left over cheese they put in the bin for $4 or less. You get to try really nice, possibly high end stuff...downside, I usually love them and it a tiny piece.

·
Registered
719 Posts
I like everything that's not "pungent." I really can't stomach bleu or Gorgonzola, etc... Something about the smell I can't get past. But I do like gorgonzola crumbles on steak, so figure that one out ....lol

I LOVE manchego. It's my absolute favorite. It's a harder cheese (and the best ones are very hard, IMO) Good on water crackers with stuffed olives.

Fontina, havarti, gouda (unlike the others I don't really like the smoked kind), asiago, some brie...most goat cheese, and the only way I like mascarpone is in Tirimisu...it doesn't have a lot of flavor to me.

A family "tradition" if you will, is super sharp (Hoffman's is the best) cheddar on Triscuits with picked bologna. Elegant? Nope. But my whole family will devour that along with some Manhattan's any day. According to everyone I know in FL, it must be a "northern thing." :lol:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.