Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a recipe I made up some time ago. It's one of our favorites and a great soup if you are not feeling well or when it's cold and dreary outside. It looks like a long list of ingredients, but don't worry it's made very quickly. Serve with warm bread and you have an excellent meal in about an hour.

Feel Good Soup

For meatballs added to the soup:

1/2 lb. ground turkey
1 cup seasoned breadcrumbs
1 cup grated romano cheese
1 T fresh or dried parsley
1 tsp. dried oregano
1/8 tsp. garlic powder
1 large egg

For soup base:

1 small onion, chopped
2 large stalks of celery, sliced into 1/4 pieces
4 large carrots, scraped and sliced diagnally in 1/4 slices
2 teaspoons sesame oil
2 teaspoons chili oil
8 cups chicken or vegetable stock ( I used frozen turkey stock that I made from last Spring)
2 T fresh or dried parsley
1/4 tsp. garlic powder
3 cups cooked pasta or egg noodles
salt and pepper to tatse

In a large stock pot add both the sesame and chili oils. Turn the heat on med and add the onion celery and carrot. Saute on med-low for 10 minutes stirring often. Add the stock, parsley, garlic powder and let simmer on medium low while you make the meatballs. whlie you are simmering the soup, make the meatball mixture.

before making the meatballs, however, boil 6 cups water in a seperate pot. Cook pasta or noodles until just tender. You want them a little tough or else they get too mushy in the soup.

Combine all ingredients for the meatballs in a large bowl and mix well with your hands. (this may sound gross, but the secret to meatballs is that the ingredients have to be very well incorporated in order for the texture to be right.) Turn the heat up on the soup to medium high. Once it starts to boil start rolling the meatballs into 1 inch balls. They get larger as they boil, so make them small. Add all the meatballs to the soup. Let the soup boil for 15 minutes. While this is going on, drain your pasta and set aside. After the 15 minutes, add the pasta to the soup.

Enjoy!

·
27,948 Posts
Thanks Michele, I'm going to give this one a try real soon!

·
Premium Member
21,255 Posts
Thank you! This sounds really good :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts