Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Banned
10,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Found out her step-mom and dad will be renting a hall here in this area for her graduation party. Well, that is so sweet and nice of them....but come on!!! Really? like their big square house isn't good enough for their family and friends? They probably need some extra space for the Kegs too.

Oh, and the third week of May when she is done with high school, she sails away for a cruise in the Carribean with her grandparents.

I can't top this off!!! My Dd doesn't expect me too.

We talk about it, but still.....I'm sure my cake and soda pop sounds lame...

Vent!!

·
27,948 Posts
Not lame. Your dd knows how over the top her grandparents are and she knows you love and think the world of her. You are going through a lot of changes yourself as your dd moves on and you need to cut yourself some slack and know that you mean bunches to all those who love you.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Your dd knows how much you love her! Don't worry about what everyone else is doing. You're giving her the best gifts possible, your love, your time, and your support. This is going to be a huge change for you as well, I agree with Darlene, you need to cut yourself some slack.

·
Registered
746 Posts
My greatest (and only) graduation gift was my mom telling me that she was proud of me.

I bet your DD feels the same. There's nothing better than a parent's love.

Just want to clarify: Graduating from high school was expected and nothing less accepted therefore the reasons for no party no gifts.

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
Your Daughter knows who would give up everything for them. I,ve had very little money as my kids grew up but they all knew I would die for them. My ex didn't figure they needed much. He knows nothing that is going on with them. My kids have concerns I'm there to help them. Your daughter knows you will always be there.Its not about bigger or more money. It's all about the love
Fern

·
Registered
26,302 Posts
It isn't about the gifts or parties. It is the love you show her. You are proud of your daughter and she knows that. Reinforce it by telling her and spending time with her. That is the best gift you can give her! :hugz:

Reactions: Palooka

·
Registered
545 Posts
I wouldn't look at it as something that needs to be "topped." Look at it as "so many people love my daughter and want do something nice for her graduation! What a lucky girl." :) You don't need to compete with your daughter's loved ones. She has many people that obviously care about her and each and every gesture (big or small) should be appreciated :)

·
Registered
7,747 Posts
:hugz: We had the same thing happen when our oldest graduated. I so can relate. Of course he understood, but I have to wonder how he'll feel if when his brother graduates we are in a better $ position then and provide for our youngest what we could not for our oldest.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
She has your LOVE but they BUY her love.Big difference. So in the End she knows who is number 1!!!

·
Technical Support Sleuth
6,481 Posts
It's hard to feel as if you aren't providing the very best for your kids. I certainly feel that way now that we have the expense of two.

But...looking back on my high school/childhood days, the best memories I have with my mom and dad aren't of the parties they had for me or the things they did FOR me. They are of the things they did with me, like going mushroom hunting with my dad and singing along to the oldies with my mom when she was trying to teach me to drive.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
You and your daughter are getting ready to take a big step...She know that your love and being there for her anytime that she needs you means more than money can buy..Love has so much more value than material things..Your giveing her the best and always have your love...

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
I am sure she will understand. Be happy that your daughter is receiving these great graduation gifts. Because you don't have to pay for them.

One thing your daughter and her friends might appreciate is an end of summer get together. Everyone brings something and you have a nice outdoor picnic where everyone can say their last goodbyes before everyone goes off to college.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
You raised your daughter with love and affection. This is what she'll remember.

The big parties and cruises are all well and good, but they aren't expressions of love, in my opinion.

The happiest times of my life didn't cost a penny: Dad teaching me how to ride a bike, Mom teaching me how to sew, they both provided a safe and joyful home for me, priceless!

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
I think your daughter will look back on her cruise with her grandparents as a wonderful memory, especially after they are gone. I also think she will look back at all the wonderful times you spent together with happy memories also.If you don't make it about money I don't think she will either.Enjoy these happy times!

·
Registered
719 Posts
Have to agree with everyone else. I constantly find myself doing/saying/etc. things that my mother taught me and will always remember that I learned those things from her. I'm not just spouting this to make you feel better. Some really important things my mom taught me growing up have made me who I am and put me where I am today. Just a couple off the top of my head (to get my point across of course ;)) :

"Live within your means." She said this constantly when I wanted something that (now I know) they couldn't afford to give me.

"Friends are for now, sisters are forever." I can't even begin to tell you how badly I treated my little sister when I had my friends around, but of course.. most of the friends I've grown apart from, and my sister and I get along great now that we're (mostly) grown up.

All the material things your Dd is getting for her graduation aren't nearly as important as the things you did with her and taught her growing up. A cruise isn't going to make her a better person, but your love definitely has and will.

·
Registered
540 Posts
We have only taken our kids out to eat when they graduate.. Our gift to them was the extra stuff we buy for their senior year.. Sames goes for the last one that will be graduating in May..

I say, let them fork out the $$$$$$.... She knows what you do every day is way more special and important than something done once..

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
Found out her step-mom and dad will be renting a hall here in this area for her graduation party. Well, that is so sweet and nice of them....but come on!!! Really? like their big square house isn't good enough for their family and friends? They probably need some extra space for the Kegs too.

Oh, and the third week of May when she is done with high school, she sails away for a cruise in the Carribean with her grandparents.

I can't top this off!!! My Dd doesn't expect me too.

We talk about it, but still.....I'm sure my cake and soda pop sounds lame...

Vent!!
PSSST, we are doing cake and soda pop. Everyone else can go into debt, of if they are out of debt spend their money, however they like. Hugs to you, seriously get out of the mind set of what others are doing or the minute you "get ahead" you will want to try and make up for it, thus putting yourself back into the same situation.

Hang in there. As Eleanor Roosevelt said, "No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.