Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
3,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It really bugs me that other people have to make my 7 yr old child feel as if she is deprived of something because we don't have cable.

Several months ago we turned off the cable because we realized that we were paying 60 dollars a month just so my kids could watch Sponge BOB! All the channels that we watch are the FREE ones so what on earth were we paying for , I'll tell you what the NOGGIN channel that's what. It's the only cable channel that was ever turned on so out it went.

If you get the new converter box you get something like 24 channels. Two of which are strictly children channels. MY kids have been fine with it until recently. I have been babysitting for two boys and they are horrified that we don't' have cable and have said some strange things about it. Thanks to their influence I caught my kid saying things to other people like " Don't you feel sorry for me, we don't have cable" She was at my neighbors house and said something to the Dad about missing Sponge Bob. I can't believe what an issue this has become.

Why is it people assume we don't' have it because we cant' afford it?

·
Registered
566 Posts
Why pay for something you don't use or need? Better money in your pocket then the cable companys.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Good for you for valuing the important things in life. I know it's frustrating. Just hold you head high.:cheer4::cheer4:

·
Registered
9,412 Posts
Some kids just dont understand nor do their parents about "needing" instead of "wanting". It's a shame too because it's us parents that teach our children these things.

I dont have cable either and I don't miss it! I have found better ways to spend my money. I am curious though what you said to your DD about this? If that's the case of the missing Sponge Bob, you can always rent some DVD's, alot cheaper in the long run although they will watch repeats alot, lol :) I remember watching repeats all the time on TV when I was a kid :)

I am also curious as to how you do it all day with a bunch of kids with no tv, lol.... your a much stronger woman than I.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
I was the youngest of 4. When I was about 5 yrs. old, my parents decided they were unhooking the TV during the summer. We live in NY and they didn't like the idea that all summer the kids would be watching TV. Well, after the summer, it never got hooked up again. At that time, we lived in a place where you could only have an antenae and you still only got like 4 channels. Most of our friends never said anything or noticed. In about 6th grade, we moved to a suburb of Buffalo. My parents of course continued their "no TV" policy. We got many many strange comments. I would catch other kids calling me a "quaker" and trying to say that it was due to our religion. We were Catholic...so that wasn't the reason. My parents just didn't want us "rotting our brains".

In the end, I grew up learning how to entertain myself. Everyone in my family loves to read and we all read at a very high comprehension level. Now, as far as the TV goes, I can either take it or leave it. It quickly bores me.

I would just ignore what the kids are saying.

Just another thought...what has been working with my Ds (who is also 7) lately is to explain to him that the money we save on X can be used on Y. So...by not going out for lunch, we will have more money to use for vacations. He is starting to understand that. Maybe you can do something similar with your daughter?

·
Registered
906 Posts
My kids didn't even know there was such a thing as cable until we stayed in a hotel (rare) on a trip. I just don't see the need for it either. Like you said with the converter box we get more than enough.

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
feeling like a freak over the cable service... me too.

i can't fit cable into the budget. i tried. I want it. i miss it after i chose to cut it off after the divorce.

people say, "did you watch blah blah last night?" i say , "No, I don't have cable". "you don't have cable?' (gasp)" "Nope, I choose not to put cable in my budget. I do miss it, though, but there are other things i want to do with those dollars."

i really miss What Not to Wear and Sell This House. i always get cable-itis after visiting with friends who have it. I have prayed about it and the answer always comes back "no".

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
I wish I could convince my dh to ditch the cable. I want to spend our time playing games and doing fun stuff rather than watching tv. Watching tv is too important to my kids ~ this summer I hope to change that!

Shame on us for not having enough will-power to shut it off, too!

·
Registered
345 Posts
Ah, I wouldn't feel bad or freakish about it. We don't have cable either . . . I guess we could find the money, but I don't wanna! Back before we had two doodlebugs, the time I wasted watching mind-numbing junk! Gah! There is enough mind-numbing junk on the 10 local channels we pick up with our digital converter. Really there is so much I don't want them seeing (especially what is allowed on cable nowadays), I want them to be left out in that respect, KWIM? When cable came out when I was in junior high, there were a number of movies that we were not allowed to watch that everyone else had seen . . . and I still haven't seen to this day . . . :toothy: It's funny what you said too . . . when my BIL asked DH about some show and DH responded that he didn't know about it because we didn't have cable, my BIL said, "Oh, I'm soooo sorry" as if he had told him some horrible news or something. It's funny to DH and I. :vibes:

ETA: We've also had a good laugh at some sales people trying to get us to "bundle" services . . . one guy was so incredulous when dh told him we don't have cable that he (the salesman) said, "You have a t.v., don't you????!!" I wish DH had been quick and said something like, "No, just a few cave paintings."

·
Registered
3,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the tip about the free sponge bob..
Although we only have one computer and She already spends her fair share of time on it. She already knows more about this thing then I do, LOL
She is a regular on the NOGGIN wed sight.

·
Registered
5,276 Posts
I applaud you.:clap:Maybe you can take the money you are saving and take your kids somewhere special. Explain how they helped save the money by giving up someting they weren't using. Maybe you can show them what happens when we don't waste money.

Cat

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Don't feel bad. We've been without cable for most of the 12 years we've had a house. My kid didn't have any game systems until she was 10 and only had a gameboy. Then she was the only one who didn't have a computer or cell phone. We still don't have a cell phone other than a tracfone in the car for emergencies only.

People assume you can't possibly live without all that stuff. My Mom told a cable salesman that she didn't have cable and didn't want it. They accused her of stealing it, thinking she certainly wouldn't live without seeing tv with rabbit ears only!!

·
Registered
110 Posts
We got rid of the cable a couple months back when we determined it wasn't giving us much bang for the buck...really haven't missed much since, although DH will miss his Ohio State football (we don't live in OH) this fall, I'm sure. I imagine he'll be watching games on the computer.

·
Registered
3,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It just goes to show how awfully addictive TV is when people would assume you can't live without it.

·
Registered
437 Posts
I can live without it, I just prefer not to. Sue me for rotting our brains. It's one of the few luxuries I allow our home and I don't feel bad one iota for it. My kids are still active as hell and play outside when weather permits. In the summer, they are outside constantly, you only see them for meals.

I guess my point is, just as you don't want people judging you for *not* having cable, you shouldn't judge the people who do have it. Nor should you make it out like they are bad parents for having it. My children are extremely well balanced and are doing other things, in spite of our "idiot box".....

Just my .02........

·
Registered
5,276 Posts
I can live without it, I just prefer not to. Sue me for rotting our brains. It's one of the few luxuries I allow our home and I don't feel bad one iota for it. My kids are still active as hell and play outside when weather permits. In the summer, they are outside constantly, you only see them for meals.

I guess my point is, just as you don't want people judging you for *not* having cable, you shouldn't judge the people who do have it. Nor should you make it out like they are bad parents for having it. My children are extremely well balanced and are doing other things, in spite of our "idiot box".....

Just my .02........
Did I miss something? The original poster pointed out other kids were making her kids feel like they were feaks for not having cable even though they were only watching one station therefore wasting money. Who implied you were a bad parent?

Cat

·
Registered
437 Posts
Did I miss something? The original poster pointed out other kids were making her kids feel like they were feaks for not having cable even though they were only watching one station therefore wasting money. Who implied you were a bad parent?

Cat
I was saying in general, not to the OP. Sorry I didn't specify. That's usually the direction threads about having/not having cable turns. I was just saying that it's not a bad thing *to* have it, there's nothing wrong with either decision. I guess the mind numbing tv comment struck a nerve, as well as kids don't dodo anything but watch tv instead of play outside comments got to me on that one. I didn't say anyone called me a bad parent in particular, it's just the vibe given off.

Sorry I had a moment there, it won't happen again.

Reactions: Sassyclass

·
Registered
345 Posts
My mind-numbing comment was directed at what I watched when we had cable (which was before we had kids). I am by no means passing judgement on anyone who has cable, but I obviously had poor judgement by what I chose to watch when we had it. Sorry if my comment rubbed you the wrong way and I most certainly didn't mean to give you the impression I was commenting on anyone's parenting. :vibes:

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
mickee311: hey gal. I may have been raised without a TV at all (not even a set in the house) but I have full cable right now. It is also something we can afford and it is something my husband enjoys. Like your kids, mine also spend tons of time outside and I actually have the TV off most of the day. It isn't the act of owning cable or TV that "rots the brain", but (in my mind) the constant use of it by children without other creative and physical outlets. :D It sounds like your kids have many healthy activities.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts