Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm feeling very odd like I live in a different time or place then others.

Grapes in netting not loose. Produce managers not giving or suggesting you taste the grapes.

Security guards in stores

I'm feeling out of sorts out of place it doesn't compute like I'm in a different world or time. I'm having a hard time imaging it all.

Why would things be so different?

·
Registered
4,367 Posts
Personally, I need a better description of what you're talking about to understand this, imagine.

Is there some crisis going on in your area that would cause them to up the security?

I've never had anyone offer for me to taste the grapes. Is this the usual thing where you live?

Are things at HOME, or in your familiar surroundings also looking funny to you? Out of place or 'unreal' kind of?

·
Registered
176 Posts
It is like it is because there are waaaaay too many people who think only of themselves ruining it for everyone else.

If everyone were more like you, we wouldn't need such precautions.:)

Reactions: imagine

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Personally, I need a better description of what you're talking about to understand this, imagine.

Is there some crisis going on in your area that would cause them to up the security?

I've never had anyone offer for me to taste the grapes. Is this the usual thing where you live?

Are things at HOME, or in your familiar surroundings also looking funny to you? Out of place or 'unreal' kind of?
Oh no,The way people are talking here at FV seems odd/strange. I'm having a hard time picturing their world.
I am not use to security guards and found it strange when someone mentioned them. I had never heard of security guards at stores.

yes, tasting grapes is normal. The grocery store has a man in the produce section. It is his section and he offers grapes and suggests you taste them if you are curious. He will cut open apples to let you taste them. He generally tastes them too. He asked us to let him know if any fruit looks bad or tastes sour. If we tell him he tastes them and if he finds them sour he pulls them right off the shelf.

Stores/banks have candy dishes and cookies set out to help yourself. The local sub shop sent over complimentary subs to hubby's work. free subs from a restaurant for no particular reason

There are still several home grown local stores. The local farm and ranch store has coffee available for free any time you come in. Popcorn available every weekend. One time they were selling live fish not to eat but to stock ponds. You picked out how many you wanted and what kind and you carried it home in a large clear trash bag with water just like you would a goldfish

I also feel different when everyone mentions all these different stores or how many walmarts are in there area. I only know of 1 walmart in a 5O mile radius and no other store similar in that 50 mile radius.

The public school dress code is fairly modest and the elementary dress code includes shorts or leggings or pants under girls dresses/skirts. IF you forget they send the girls down to the nurse to get some shorts. If elementary children are dressed inappropriate for the weather the nurse lends them something to wear.

It feels my corner of the world is so different then others are mentioning. It is is a though I live back to another place or time.

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
oh and the bank has real coffee mugs. You are suppose to drink the coffee but leave the mugs so they can be washed and reused. Very rarely do the mugs walk off ( get stolen).

·
Registered
621 Posts
But imagine, you need to tell us what area of the country you live in. Doesn't sound that different from mine. I have to travel 45 minutes to find a super Walmart. But I don't shop there by choice. BTW I live in rural Western Washington.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Don't know where you live, but I would bet it is not here in Central Florida.

By the way some of your comments are, it sounds like life was when I was a kid back in the 50's. Sometimes I really wish my life was like that now.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
I'm feeling very odd like I live in a different time or place then others.

This comment, just to be lighthearted, are you a "Time Traveler"? Just kidding. I agree with you, times have changed in our world so much it is unrecognizable from what once was.

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
But imagine, you need to tell us what area of the country you live in. Doesn't sound that different from mine. I have to travel 45 minutes to find a super Walmart. But I don't shop there by choice. BTW I live in rural Western Washington.
you are rural you say maybe it is more of a rural as contrast to a city thing. I live in a big city for here but not big when you think of NYC or anything like that. The town/city advertises being big and small at the same time. Know what I mean? But we are still rural cows still are the smell of money hence the very busy farm and ranch store.LOL

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
This comment, just to be lighthearted, are you a "Time Traveler"? Just kidding. I agree with you, times have changed in our world so much it is unrecognizable from what once was.
I loved the movie the Time Traveler's Wife.

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I can top that ~ The Iowa town my hubby grew up in has a police station in WalMart......
I can't even imagine that. How does that work?

I still see bicycle cops that we have here that get to know the neighborhood. The policeman in a car that didn't recognize us shortly after we moved here so he stopped to met us and make sure the child with me was suppose to be with me walking away from the school was suppose to be going in the direction from school. Before he left he said nice to me you and welcome to town.

Teenagers getting probation for high jinks. The school toilets got stopped up with tp. Three boys ended up going to juvenile court for it. They all received probation and had to stay away from each other because the judge couldn't figure out who actually did it as they all said the other did it. The school didn't even handle it, it went straight to the police.

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Don't know where you live, but I would bet it is not here in Central Florida.

By the way some of your comments are, it sounds like life was when I was a kid back in the 50's. Sometimes I really wish my life was like that now.
But the comments are my real life. Life as in now.
I originally thought everyone lived like this now I'm not so sure that is true.

Is it just a different perception or is life truly different here?

·
Registered
11,016 Posts
The US is a big place. It's hard sometimes to think about just how vastly hugely mind-bogglingly big it is and how many regions there are that have their own peculiarities. Language and customs here may seen strange to folks in other states. You can't expect everyone over thousands of miles to all live the same. I think it's wonderful how varied our country is.

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Here is one for you:

In our old house that we lived in 7 years ago the front door didn't even lock. It had a chain and we put a chair at the door when we would be gone on vacation as the wind sometime blew open the door.

And no one who knew thought it was strange

·
Registered
540 Posts
I can't even imagine that. How does that work?
I don't know, I haven't been busted by them :mdance::mdance:

But it tripped my daughter and I out when we saw it.. I guess maybe it is for the area, not just Wally crap, but it is in the building, you walk in the doors to wally crap and it's on the left.. Maybe it's there way of saving on gas ;)..

I'll take a picture next time I go out there..

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The US is a big place. It's hard sometimes to think about just how vastly hugely mind-bogglingly big it is and how many regions there are that have their own peculiarities. Language and customs here may seen strange to folks in other states. You can't expect everyone over thousands of miles to all live the same. I think it's wonderful how varied our country is.
very good point

I'm still having a hard time coming to grips with the alternate realities.

It is definitely something to keep in mind when FV poster say I can't do that or don't understand how something would work.

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I don't know, I haven't been busted by them :mdance::mdance:

But it tripped my daughter and I out when we saw it.. I guess maybe it is for the area, not just Wally crap, but it is in the building, you walk in the doors to wally crap and it's on the left.... I'll take a picture next time I go out there..
wow just wow

I've seen a library branch in a grocery store before.

·
Registered
4,225 Posts
The only taste testing here is at Sams and its usually processed junk. I live in what I call small(75 thousand) east texas town. We have everything without freeways or too much crime.

It is NOT mayberry here. We lock our doors. It is also not Dallas, we know some of our neighbors.

That being said. If you drive an hour to where we keep our camper at the lake, there is a wagon on the side of the road that sells produce where you just put money in the box. All done by the honesty code.

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The only taste testing here is at Sams and its usually processed junk. I live in what I call small(75 thousand) east texas town. We have everything without freeways or too much crime.

It is NOT mayberry here. We lock our doors. It is also not Dallas, we know some of our neighbors.

That being said. If you drive an hour to where we keep our camper at the lake, there is a wagon on the side of the road that sells produce where you just put money in the box. All done by the honesty code.
You call 75,000 small and I call it big. LOL

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.