Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering anyone ever have to go to the school board to fight for what you think is right for your child/children?

We talked to the school team and the superintendent about an issue and we were denied so we were told by the superintedent to go infront of the school board, so I was looking for pointers or tips from a parent who has done it..

Let me know,
Eileen

·
Registered
7,854 Posts
Oh yeah- twice in fact.

First time we ended up having to get the state education association involved. The school wasn't following the IEP for my oldest. We had to threaten to take them to court before we got the issue resolved. We even had our state legislators assistance (sometimes it helps to have friends in high places)

2nd time (just a couple years ago) we finally had a principal with good head on his shoulders. He looked at the teacher we were having difficulty with- and with the guidance counselor- and me, and asked "what good are we doing the student by being a stickler for this rule?" - - - - He withdrew from a class 2 hours after the deadline, and they were going to make him take an "F" for the semester, which would have eliminated him for all extracurricular activities and such. He's normally a straight "A" student, in the gifted classes and all that.

Good luck- I hope yours goes much easier.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
what should I do get prepared to meet with the school board?
I am pretty nervous, we are getting an advocate to help us but the meeting is August 12th and we need this resolved before school starts the last week of August.
All we want is what we think is right and who better knows a child.

I think this is vague, I can go into details but I am looking for what a parent can do and what the school board need to know to do what is in the best intrest..

Sunshine that you for your input I am glad to hear that you won and got what was best for your child.

Eileen

·
Premium Member
21,255 Posts
I just want to offer you :hugz: and support Eileen. Going through this must be difficult for any parent, I'm around if you want to talk. You know where to find me :)

·
Registered
7,854 Posts
Gather your facts before you go- I'm not sure what the problem is specifically, but. . . . . get specifics - in writing if possible from credible sources.

Don't get emotional or make personal attacks on school personel. The board will (at least publically) support their staff.

Know your recourses if the school board also denies you. As I said- we went even further once. I knew what the next step would be, and told them I was prepared to take it further. They didn't think I would do it, but I did. Once it went a step further, they knew they had to follow the IEP.

Does your child have an IEP? If so, make sure you take a copy of that with you to the board meeting. Even if what you are requesting is not part of the IEP, it will give the board a better picture of the needs your child has.

PM if you need further help or moral support. I had it especially bad when we were doing all this, as my mother is a teacher in our school district (not my son's teacher at the time though). The superintendent threatened her job because I was taking the school to court- I let him know that if anything happened to her job as a result of me, there would be TWO lawsuits to deal with.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts