Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I only had 3 weeks in February to sell and I had to get my sealegs to see what the people want and how much they will pay(still working on that) but the bulk of my items sold and i made $109.00 total with my profit after supplies and ebay fees(and Paypal) coming to $68.:pblow:

I hope to list more, and spend less.

I have dropped that .10 border and I want to use less pictures.

Woohoo! Every penny helps to keep my dd going in college so that she doesn't have to struggle.(I notice that on her limited college spending money she is very careful and dare I say FRUGAL with it!)

My goal for March is to Make $150 and profit $100. Can I do it?????

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Asolutly you can do it!!! dont forget to let us know how its going!!

Well done on making so much in feb!!!

·
Registered
41 Posts
I don't know, if you know this or if it is even still possible. But my friend does a lot of ebay. A LOT. She gets her shipping supplies right from the postal service (at least she used to get it). As far as I know, boxes and tape. Delivered right to her door. I checked it out a few years ago, because I didn't believe her...LOL

Maybe, if they still provide shipping material, this is a way to lower your costs and up your profits???

·
Registered
4,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't know, if you know this or if it is even still possible. But my friend does a lot of ebay. A LOT. She gets her shipping supplies right from the postal service (at least she used to get it). As far as I know, boxes and tape. Delivered right to her door. I checked it out a few years ago, because I didn't believe her...LOL

Maybe, if they still provide shipping material, this is a way to lower your costs and up your profits???

They sure do! I have free priority boxes delivered right to my door step and I get free bubble wrap from a business in the next town(I hope they will still allow that, my dh is going to call and schedule a pick up!) and my sisters and dh bring me boxes from work.

I did have to buy peanut tho--egads!:thud:

Trust me when I say I do use them sparingly!

Thank you for the tip though! It was very nice of you to bring that to my attention.

·
Registered
41 Posts
good, you already know about it.
But $41:ack: in fees is quite a lot. Don't get me wrong, don't do much ebay, but it seems very high....where does it all go? :hmmm:

·
Registered
9,412 Posts
I sell on eBay once in a while but their fees on top of paypal fees are not worth it sometimes. I agree that $41 in fees is quite alot, have you tried other avenues for selling your items online?

Oh and as for packing peanuts and stuff like that, have you tried freecycle in your area, I received tons of packing supplies for free and all I had to do was pick them up. http://www.freecycle.org

·
Registered
426 Posts
Great job!!

I think she meant total for all of her supplies, paint, etc., along with the fees.

·
Registered
3,298 Posts
I think you did quite well. I need to get off my rear and get some things listed.

·
Registered
7,733 Posts
I heard of using popcorn instead of the the styrofoam peanuts. Air popped wouldn't be greasy and popcorn is pretty cheap. I don't know if it would really work. On the other hand, it wouldn't look very "professional" either, I suppose.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Do you let Ebay host your photos? That cost money if you use more than one photo. You should use photobucket. They are free. You can get lots of free templates online, too.

·
Registered
4,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Great job!!

I think she meant total for all of her supplies, paint, etc., along with the fees.
Exactly my EBAY fees were under $16. Since I do hand painted decor I have to find an item, prep, prime and paint and seal it. Then I have to pack it very well.

It is quite involved but my frugal skills are a great help!

G

·
For the packing peanuts, looking up "packaging distributor" the phone book and see if they'll sell you some. I worked at one in Denver, CO and while I know that the price has gone up, they used to sell a 15 cubic foot bag of peanuts to anyone who walked in for $15-$20 (some of the larger customers got discounts down to $11, depending on how many they bought or whatever they negotiated). We used to sell them to the UPS stores and they mark them up a lot.

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
You are doing a great job! I keep telling myself one of these days I'll get back on ebay and try to sell things. Good luck next month:)

·
Registered
4,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks! I messed up tho. I still have 4 items going off this month duh????

3 of which have bids do I will upgrade my numbers on Tuesday.

I am such a nut sometimes!

·
Registered
138 Posts
I used to sell a lot on ebay, and my fees were around $500 to $800 a month. Now, my fees are around $100 to $200 a month. I guess it's not worth it if your item will not get you much profit (since ebay and paypal fees are high).

I also buy on ebay alot too, I save myself a lot of money by buying on ebay.

I have tried other sites, since ebay fees are high, but there are more people shopping on ebay, and the bids go up higher too. So overall, I'm still making more $$$ on ebay eventhough the fees are higher.

However, there are a lot of scammers, hackers, etc. that comes along with selling on ebay. (I get those fake emails ) the ones that tries to get my ebay information, I get those emails all the time. At least 2 to 3 emails daily.

The email will look real, but if you click on any link that comes with the email, and enter your information, your account will be stolen. (When you click on the link, it will look just like the real thing, it will ask for you to enter your username, password, sometimes more info...) Just like the real website, so you don't really know what's going on.

This happens to me twice already.

It was a big headache....

·
Registered
4,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
When I used to do this same painting through ebay years ago(stopped in late 2004. I was really burnt out) those emails used to come.

I only look at emails that come through My Messages and I never click links lol!

All good things get ruined by scams don't they?

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
Great Job!!!

I was also going to suggest using photobucket for additional photos - that way, you only use the one free photo with ebay & the others you can include in the description by using the link from photobucket - the only catch is that you have to leave the pic in your photobucket acct until the auction has ended, otherwise, the pic will not be there :D

WTG!!! I think you are doing a great job! That's a fantastic profit!!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts