Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
8,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
~My mom just found these and I think I'm going to get some. They work with pressure canning, water bath canning and vacuum sealing. Tattler is running a contest on their FB page for 12 dozen of each size to a random entry!

TATTLER Reusable Canning Jar Lids Home Page
Tattler Reusable Canning Lids - Local Business - Fruita, CO - Wall | Facebook
At $.58-.66 a piece, I think these are gonna save a lot of money over a lifetime of preserving food. They would pay for themselves by the fourth use. :D ~

·
Registered
26,302 Posts
Thanks nuisance .....and yes, FINALLY!! :)

·
Super Moderator
19,680 Posts
I know people use these, but I don't think they're approved by the various agencies who approve these things. Could be they just haven't been tested or something, I don't know. Or it could be like the old zinc caps that aren't recommended anymore due to failures that allowed food to spoil, and wax not recommended to seal jelly jars anymore. Things change sometimes as more research is done and more is learned. It's not worth getting sick to save some money.

Not trying to be negative, but it might be worth doing some research before investing. Just sayin'. :)

·
8,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I know people use these, but I don't think they're approved by the various agencies who approve these things. Could be they just haven't been tested or something, I don't know. Or it could be like the old zinc caps that aren't recommended anymore due to failures that allowed food to spoil, and wax not recommended to seal jelly jars anymore. Things change sometimes as more research is done and more is learned. It's not worth getting sick to save some money.

Not trying to be negative, but it might be worth doing some research before investing. Just sayin'. :)
~What makes you think I haven't researched? I never buy anything without proper research. I think you didn't look at the site very well.
As far as I know, the various agencies don't test and approved any particular canning brands and products individually. And I don't particularly care to have them do so. Do boxes of Ball and Kerr lids come with some kind of agency approval written on the box? No, they don't!
It'll be a cold day in you know were when I let the Gov decided what's safe for me. Knowledge about the process of canning and experience in canning will keep me safe, not an approval stamp from a committee or agency. They just issue recommendations and suggested guidelines.
This product has been around awhile actually, since 1976. They have proven to be a high quality and safe alternative to disposable metal lids.
If you can find any info on these not being safe(35+ years of public use)I'd like to see it, otherwise, why insinuate that they aren't safe? ~

·
Registered
689 Posts
I think that's a throwback to the old 2 piece lids. If you knew what you were doing, they were OK. If you THOUGHT you knew what you were doing, you had trouble with them not sealing right. And with the bail to hold the lid down, you couldn't tell if they sealed or not. With the Tattlers, you take the ring off when cool. If you can't easily remove the lid, they're sealed. I did find out that when vacuum-sealing, if I didn't wet the rings just before I used them, I'd have about a 80% failure rate after a couple days. My advise is to check them periodically, especially at the beginning of use.

Lee

·
Registered
469 Posts
I am on my work blackberry right now so I can't cut and paste but the granny miller blog had a great review of the tattlers last year, worth checking out if you do a search on granny miller blog tattler.

·
Registered
1,581 Posts

·
Registered
900 Posts
The extension makes no recommendation regarding Tattlers, simply because they have not tested them per this FAQ

I've been using mine for a year now and absolutely LOVE them! I've only had 2 failures, and it was user error for forgetting to tighten the bands on that batch. My canning closet is pretty tight so I can't show everything I've canned in them, but here's an artsy shot :D.

·
8,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
~Sale on Tattlers today! Get 25% off the 200 lid mix of regular and wide mouth with the savings code "special". I just ordered my set for $109 w/taxes and free shipping. That's $.55 each lid. I'm excited to try them out!~

1 - 14 of 14 Posts