Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,760 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any good books on investing, financial planning, etc.? Would love to hear some recommendations. :) Especially anything pertaining to Canadians.

TIA!

·
Registered
9,412 Posts
No advice but I had to tell you that I love your avatar, so cute!!!!

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
I haven't read any, really, but there's a site I read regularly called The Simple Dollar and he reviews his favorite financial books:

http://www.thesimpledollar.com/

If you scroll down on the right side are categories (like "books" and "10 books that changed my life," etc.) where you will these different books. It's a good money site overall, in my opinion.

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
I've been reading a lot of financial books this year, the one I like the best so far is The Bogleheads Guide to Investing. It wasn't too basic or too complex. I also liked Smart Women Finish Rich by David Bach. Neither one is Canadian-specific though.

·
Registered
857 Posts
I love David Bach :)

I read his book a little over a year ago; ``Start Late Finish Rich`` and he did that in the American and Canadian version along with ``The Automatic Millionaire``. I saw him on the Canadian talk show ``Vickie`` one morning and I have also seen him on Oprah.

You can also visit his website http://www.finishrich.com/pages/home.php

He was just in Toronto this past weekend:) I would highly recommend him :)

·
Registered
491 Posts
I really like the Rich Dad books, although I don't agree with his take on using "other people's money" to do your investing. I'm more Dave Ramsey-like in my views on borrowing money...ie...don't! lol I like the principles and the way of thinking about money that the Rich Dad books teach.

Other than those, the Dave Ramsey books are great, but the first time I read them I was turned off. He seemed so preachy and was very Christian about the whole thing (don't get me wrong, I personally am a Christian, I just don't like it being brought up in every conversation about everything). After listening to his show every day though, I have to say that I think he's the best financial "guru" out there. He's very blunt and his advice is extremely sound.

I used to like Suze Orman, until I heard her tell someone to hang onto their student loan for as long as possible, just because the interest rate was low. That was my last straw with her, lol.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts