Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
this may sound dumb but how do you find jeans that fit ? i am currently wearing Wal mart brand which fit ok and are cheap...I would like to invest in a couple of really good quality jeans that fit. HOW do you meausure yourself exactly? LOL..I feel absurd asking this:smirk:I want to own only two good pair of jeans (i love simplicity!) and I want them to fit. Many jeans will fit everywhere but be too small in my waist. thanks!

·
Registered
109 Posts
Go around to different stores and try them on. For example aeropostle has about 10 different styles of jeans and each one fits differently, most of the better brands do. I can buy a 5 in one style but need a 3 in another so take enough time to hit the dressing rooms.

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
I agree, maybe just try them on in a ton of different stores and see what you like. Or, there are some of the "higher end" boutique's that will measure you and tell you what size you are and what style to wear. Maybe you can check them out and get measured, then go somewhere less expensive to buy! :rollsmile

I never own more than one to two pairs of jeans at a time. It just makes like simpler! I used to really like Old Navy's jeans, but then they changed styles, so I had to search all over. I found then, that I like Steve & Barry's jeans, but then our Steve & Barry's closed. So just recently, I found I kind of like Rue 21's jeans...however, their low waist, is REALLY low, and I tend to impersonate a plumber too often for my own taste in these jeans! ;)

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
I second the try things on at different stores til you find the one.:mdance:

You could also go custom fit. Land's End makes custom fit jeans.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Honestly I'm back where you're at now.
I finally had found jeans I really like, can get on sale for a good price and fit PERFECTLY... at Old Navy.
My problem? I end up buying a new pair (as I only had 2 pairs) every year!!
Because they'd start to fall apart. I know Old Navy isn't always the highest quality of clothing.

So I'm having to look for jeans that fit the same way those do, but will last much longer. And all I can do is try some on.

I find jeans I like the look and style of... and then I try them on.
I'm kinda picky about how my clothes "feel" on me. I like my pants to fit me (i hate loose pants!), but I don't mind a baggy shirt! lol

But it's also a psychological thing. If the pants fit great and I can't stand how they look, I won't wear them often. But if I like how they look and they fit "ok", I'll wear them more often. :)

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
If your a curvacious woman, run, do not walk, to your nearest FashionBug.

I finally, finally, found a pair of jeans that fit me this weekend.
They have a new line out called "Right Fit" and they are a godsend to me.
Here's some more info.:
http://www.fashionbug.com/pagebuilder/right_fit_landing_page?shop=right_fit_best

I only had to try on two pair to figure out which one would work & which was my size.
I'm a yellow-6.

These come in both Misses & Women's sizes.

I hope this helps somebody else, because I have been searching for new jeans for a 1.5 years now and finally found some!
Yay Me!!!!:mdance:

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
It's all relative. What fits one person, possibly another will hate. It depends on body shape, price point, denim weight, and a million other things. I hate *heavy* jeans, but I like them to fit well with no baggy knees. I can't wear a petite, but a lot of jeans are up to 6" too long for me, and look *off* if they are hemmed.
I like GAP and Banana Republic jeans, but Old Navy jeans don't fit me at all! Also, most *below the waist* jeans are flattering, as long as they are not toooo low. The over the belly button jeans can be very aging. I don't know your age, but I'm 50 and won't wear them!
I have a friend who is more of an apple shape and she likes Gloria Vanderbilt jeans, they look like a box on me!
And as soon as you find something you like, try on and buy a few pairs.

·
Registered
3,972 Posts
You'll want to look at measuring the following areas on your body to get the right fit:

1) Your waist
2) Your hips on the widest part
3) Your thighs if they're wider than your hips (that's me)
4) Your inseam (that area from the top of your legs to your ankles

I'm 5'11" and I'm about a 28/34. My thighs are getting big and my hips have always been tiny. I like my pants longer than my legs are because when they shrink, I'd rather have long jeans than look like I'm waiting for a flood. I also really love hip hugger jeans because it shows off both my tattoos. :D

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
I too have a hard time finding jeans that fit. Only because I am 5'0" tall. Okay maybe 4'11 and 1/2" but who's keeping track. I have found that the Gap jeans (ankle length) are the best and I recently found a pair of Aeropostale jeans at a consignment shop that are perfect. My advice is to just go to several stores or maybe a consignment shop. Not sure if you have this in your area, Plato's Closet, but they are cheap and the jeans are very good condition. I found a pair of $60 Gap jeans for $18 still with new tags on and everything!

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
I would agree with the suggestion of going to a consignment or resell shop. That way you can try all different brands and sizes in one place. Our Plato's closet has a great selection of jeans, including many designer brands.

·
Registered
382 Posts
this may sound dumb but how do you find jeans that fit ? i am currently wearing Wal mart brand which fit ok and are cheap...I would like to invest in a couple of really good quality jeans that fit. HOW do you meausure yourself exactly? LOL..I feel absurd asking this:smirk:I want to own only two good pair of jeans (i love simplicity!) and I want them to fit. Many jeans will fit everywhere but be too small in my waist. thanks!
Have you got a Lane Bryant store near you? I love their Right Fit jeans. Probably cost $40 now, but they're worth it! They fit so perfectly. They have 3 different fits, based on body shape -- apparently, by how fast they sell out, most people around here are big at the hip and narrow at the waist (those are the blue label ones.

Give them a visit. :) Check them out on the web if you want.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
thanks so much! some great ideas! i need some that fit "wide in the waist" lol...i do like the stretchy ones too......one tip i've found that helps...you can buy "dungaree buttons" at Wal mart in the sewing section...you punch it through on the waist like a tack and attach the other side and push it down......i think i actually hammered mine down! it gives an inch or two more in the waist and no one notices if you dont tuck in your shirts, which i do not. thanks again all!~

·
Registered
317 Posts
Try Lee Jeans! I love Lee jeans. I wear a 10 short (I'm only 5'2 1/2") that have a little stretch in them. (to accomodate the pouch from the c-sect that never went away). they are on sale this week at Kohls for 21.99 and I had a 30% off certificate so...I got them for around 15. I have a pair of Gap boot cuts I am currently wearing that are a size 12, but when I walk they slide down. I have to wear a belt with them.
The best thing to do, is grab a few sizes and a few styles and try them on. But remember, try every pair that you are buying on because everyone sews differently and a size 10 doesn't always fit like a size 10!

·
Registered
979 Posts
I wish they would standardize sizes. It would make things much easier.

·
Master Dollar Stretcher aka TraciBob
1,840 Posts
I also love fashionbugs new right fit jeans. They are awesome.

·
Registered
328 Posts
If your a curvacious woman, run, do not walk, to your nearest FashionBug.

I finally, finally, found a pair of jeans that fit me this weekend.
They have a new line out called "Right Fit" and they are a godsend to me.
Here's some more info.:
http://www.fashionbug.com/pagebuilder/right_fit_landing_page?shop=right_fit_best

I only had to try on two pair to figure out which one would work & which was my size.
I'm a yellow-6.

These come in both Misses & Women's sizes.

I hope this helps somebody else, because I have been searching for new jeans for a 1.5 years now and finally found some!
Yay Me!!!!:mdance:
Amen sistah!!!! I have finally found jeans that I love and are so cute and they aren't frumpy at all. The ones I bought have a bit of a stretch to them so they last way longer but are very inexpensive. I highly recommend them.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Amen sistah!!!! I have finally found jeans that I love and are so cute and they aren't frumpy at all. The ones I bought have a bit of a stretch to them so they last way longer but are very inexpensive. I highly recommend them.
And, if there's fit to small, their sister store, Lane Bryant, has them, too. :)

·
Registered
660 Posts
Personally I find that if I go to FashionBug or LaneBryant they have a great selection of good quality jeans and clothing. But you might also want to try Steve & Barry's or Target for jeans. IMO

·
Registered
82 Posts
I will have to check out Fashion Bug- do you know if they have petite sizes? I'm 5'5", but I have freaky short legs. My usual problem is that my thighs are way bigger than my hips and waist. I've found that the Lee relaxed fit bootcut fit really nice- most of the other jeans look like they were designed for chickens (that is, big waist, teensy legs)!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts