Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Banned
10,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ah... I love the sound of my neighborhood. It's gotta be the best holiday ever. The noise, the spirit, the beer drinking, the lakes, and...yea the US independence. :D I took my netbook outside. LOL

My cats can deal with it one time of the year. :)

Anyone else?

·
Registered
7,747 Posts
I'm usually much more into it, but this year I'm feeling like your cats.

Enjoy your holiday Palooka! :)

·
Banned
10,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh Polly :hugz: I think it's far time you have some fun.

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
I like the fireworks but the smoke and smell makes it hard for me to breath:-(
Fern

Reactions: Paws

·
Technical Support Sleuth
6,481 Posts
We love the Fourth! Our city has a huge carnival, street dances, parade, live bands, etc. We hit up the carnival last night and had a blast. W enjoyed all the rides and games. Z enjoyed the people watching. Moo and I loved the cotton candy. Today I am hoping to take the kids to a concert in the park while Z works. The parade goes right by our house tomorrow and last for two hours. There are over 100 entries. And of course fireworks!

And I love that our parade starts out with the American Legion and the flags.

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
I do not like them. Sorry I know I'm a party pooper but they annoy me terribly. It wouldn't be so bad if they were only done in professional shows that last for a short time, but the hours and hours of fireworks being lit by the average joe is just too much. When we lived in town up in Washington, it went on until the wee hours of the morning. I don't care how much you love the fourth, doing that is just a jerk move. They scare the pets and keep the kids awake.

A while back we got into a conversation about fireworks and PTSD on another board I go to. People were talking about how their war veteran fathers and husbands would hide in closets and under tables for the entire night because the noise triggered so much anxiety. After hearing those stories I don't think I'll ever be able to buy anything scarier than a sparkler.

But, it is only for one or two nights a year so I'll just have to suck it up. I was so happy though to see a sign in Monterey that said "All fireworks illegal. $1000 fine." :laugh:

ETA. I actually love the fourth, just not the fireworks!

Reactions: Libby

·
Registered
26,302 Posts
Fireworks started here last week already. We can hear them into the wee hours of the night. I love them. The noise actually puts me to sleep. :laugh:

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
One year because of budget cuts our town was going to have no firework display. There was just no money for it like there had been in the past. And the law was already no private fireworks in town huge fine.

It was adding up to be a somber year.
No fireworks

Then private citizens that had $$$ decided that we needed a celebration and paid for and put on the display. It was smaller then usual but everyone was grateful for it.

It was a turning point in our town when we all learned that government budgets ( local federal, state) are stretched to thin and private citizens stepped up everywhere to fill in the gaps. feeding hungry children. Figuring out how to extend after school programs with out school budget dollars. Providing school supplies to ease school and parent burden of this. Private people spent their money to do this.

Yes, when I see the fireworks they are more special now. They represent people working together for the good of all in the past and the present.

Enjoy the 4th everyone.

·
Technical Support Sleuth
6,481 Posts
Our town has a zero tolerance policy for civilians and fireworks. That includes bottle rockets. Last year was the first year it was in effect and a lot of tickets were issued. We haven't heard as many fireworks this year.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Love the fourth, including the fireworks and all that goes with it. The city nearest me puts on a great show over the lake. IT is illegal to do your own. Fine by me too many peole get hurt because they don't know what they are doing. We missed them last night, but did hear muffled sound. My poor little girl, my dog, Bubbles was trying to get under me and was so afraid. I felt so bad for her. This morning we had thunder storm...again she was so afraid. My other dogs could care less. She will sleep alot today.
Happy Fourth Weekend

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
I love firework displays put on by the professionals; I do not like neighbors blowing off ones that rock my house AND I did feel sorry for my dogs who were scared to death of the really loud ones.

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
here in houston we have a ban because of the drought. the grass is crispy and they don't want fires. amen.

·
Registered
540 Posts
I don't mind watching them, but wont go out of my way to do it and we don't buy them..

I remember growing up in California, every 4th of July many people, including us were watering down their roofs, after awhile of that, it kinda takes the fun out of fireworks..

·
Banned
10,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
We love the Fourth! Our city has a huge carnival, street dances, parade, live bands, etc. We hit up the carnival last night and had a blast. W enjoyed all the rides and games. Z enjoyed the people watching. Moo and I loved the cotton candy. Today I am hoping to take the kids to a concert in the park while Z works. The parade goes right by our house tomorrow and last for two hours. There are over 100 entries. And of course fireworks!

And I love that our parade starts out with the American Legion and the flags.
Sounds like fun!

Fireworks started here last week already. We can hear them into the wee hours of the night. I love them. The noise actually puts me to sleep. :laugh:
Same here. :laugh:

here in houston we have a ban because of the drought. the grass is crispy and they don't want fires. amen.
That's a bummer, but wise.

·
Registered
8,935 Posts
I LOVE going to watch them - the pro shows however idiot kids shooting them off at midnight, not so much. Nor while I'm walking through the park to the open field to watch the big city show - stupid kids HOLDING roman candles and shooting them at each other. W.T.F?! But to be fair, the fireworks here are lame in comparison to the ones you guys have.

Maybe if I play my cards right, we could be in the US for 4th of July next year and I'll get to watch y'alls huge shows ;)

·
Registered
948 Posts
I LOOOOOVE the 4th of july. It is so refreshing to see our community come together and to celebrate something with such spirit. I am sitting in the living room listening to all my neighbors celebrate our freedom.. I Love it!

·
Registered
656 Posts
I hope I don't hear them this year - 'way too dry.

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
Can't say the cat is enjoying the fireworks at night. I do like to view the fireworks, however am not thrilled about neighbors setting them off. Nothing like being scared to death with a sudden boom or seeing smoke and flames in a parking lot full of cars and homes nearby. Think it should be left to the professionals.

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
Love: the sounds all week up until midnight, the smell, the children's oohs and ahhs, laughter, neighbors getting together. (while I hide in my house unsocially, ha!)

Hate: that people aren't polite enough to stop at midnight. I think that would be a common courtesy, heck I would like 10 p.m myself but am ok with midnight. After that it just seems excessive.

I only have 1 dog out of 5 that is psycho. I put him in his crate because he drools and paces while the other 4 dogs completely ignore the firework sounds.

I have GOT to water my lawn tonight! Happy 4th of July everyone!!!

I didn't buy fireworks but I gave my first born to the Navy, does that count as patriotic?:mushy:

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
I really enjoy all the festivities, we don't have neighbors close enough to be too much of a burden with fireworks noise. We have been at the lake with friends, and it does make me a little nervous to see small kids setting off firecrackers, not really the noise, just concern that they may get hurt.We had a floating picnic and went to some of the city games and activities. There was waterskiing,watermelon, lots of suntan lotion, music and drinks for all ages!Tonight we are going to the beautiful city fireworks display. I love the Fourth of July also! Have fun everyone, but be safe!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts