Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any ideas of what to do with all the ash collected from a fireplace?

·
Registered
7,747 Posts
You can make lye to make soap.

Reactions: wanderlusting

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I guess I can store it in buckets until I learn how to make lye soap.

·
Registered
26,302 Posts
It is good for the garden or compost pile. :)

·
Registered
3,035 Posts
That is was I was going to suggest! We sprinkle it around the garden and sprinkle it on the compost pile.

You could save it for soap, but you need to burn hardwoods only to use it for soap.

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It is good for the garden or compost pile. :)
I have a composter. I can dump some of it in there. I guess I can dig a hole and pour it in the ground. That will be good into the ground freezes.

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That is was I was going to suggest! We sprinkle it around the garden and sprinkle it on the compost pile.

You could save it for soap, but you need to burn hardwoods only to use it for soap.
oh.....Ok....I can just sprinkle it on the ground, especially where I am going to plant next year.

·
Registered
689 Posts
That would depend on the Ph of your soil - wood ashes will raise your pH - if it's already alkaline (too sweet) not good - good for acid soil though. You can get a cheap pH tester at a garden store.

·
Premium Member
3,898 Posts
Also depends on what you are planting, some things like it acidic and would not appreciate the ashes.

We use them on the driveway in the winter, to melt the ice. I saved a little bit to put on the asparagus, but generally couldn't produce ash fast enough to keep the driveway clear.

I wouldn't bother saving them for making lye. That is a very involved, messy, unpredictable process, and the soap you make from it is probably going to be harsh and unpleasant. That's why they invented lye flakes.

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That would depend on the Ph of your soil - wood ashes will raise your pH - if it's already alkaline (too sweet) not good - good for acid soil though. You can get a cheap pH tester at a garden store.
ok.....I will get a pH tester. thank you!

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Also depends on what you are planting, some things like it acidic and would not appreciate the ashes.

We use them on the driveway in the winter, to melt the ice. I saved a little bit to put on the asparagus, but generally couldn't produce ash fast enough to keep the driveway clear.

I wouldn't bother saving them for making lye. That is a very involved, messy, unpredictable process, and the soap you make from it is probably going to be harsh and unpleasant. That's why they invented lye flakes.
I already have a lot of ash from last year. So I probably could use it to melt the ice. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
1 - 16 of 16 Posts