Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had heard of Aldi's from a relative, but there is not one nearby. The closest one is almost a two-hour drive, so last week when I knew I'd be driving nearby one of them, I planned to shop there. I had probably put 15 or 20 items in my cart and proceeded to check out. Imagine my shock when I was told they would not take a credit card or check! Duh. I hadn't seen a sign -- still don't know if there is one. I apologized to the cashier and left everything there. Bummer.

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
I'm sorry that happened to you. Mine will take your bank card now and they didn't use to, as long as you know your pin number, so you can do a debit transaction. I hope you go back sometime soon, so you can at least try out those 15-29 items and see if you like them or not :).

·
Premium Member
3,714 Posts
Sorry about that, but next you are near there do try it again. Aldis is a great place for pantry staples.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Oh nooooo..

Our Aldies started allowing bank cards a few years back.. so semi reciently i guess in the plan of things

·
Banned
10,457 Posts
Here ours will take debit or Discover credit card. But yeah, a long time ago before this I went over and had to leave some items with the cashier. I felt silly.

·
Master Dollar Stretcher aka AmyBob
5,738 Posts
My first trip to Aldi's I didn't know about the quarter you need to "rent" a cart. Some elderly woman tried to sell me her cart in the parking lot (apparently she didn't realize how to get her quarter back when you take it back) and I thought she was crazy. LOL. :)

I like Save A Lot better anyway, but it also helps that they take credit cards. (We pay everything by CC then pay it ALL at the end of the month to earn reward points.)

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Glad to know I'm not the only one who didn't realize.

I don't use a debit card and we, too, use a credit card for reward points. No telling when I'll be that way again.

My sweet sister-in-law brought me six cans of their "Rotel" this weekend, which was one of the items I'd been excited to find.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Aldis must not be out West,have never seen one.:cowboy:

Are they like Sams Club or Costco? Their payment methods sound like the other 2 places.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Aldis must not be out West,have never seen one.:cowboy:

Are they like Sams Club or Costco? Their payment methods sound like the other 2 places.
Nope, not at all like either one. Aldi's is not a bulk-type warehouse store. They are a no-name, no frills discount grocery chain. With the exception of special buys, all of their products are on their own labels. You rent your shopping cart for .25, and either buy their bags or bring your own. Items are scanned directly into your shopping cart, and you pack your own. They only forms of payment they accept are cash and debit cards. (They are able to give you cash back if your use your debit card.)

·
Registered
645 Posts
My first trip to Aldi's I didn't know about the quarter you need to "rent" a cart. Some elderly woman tried to sell me her cart in the parking lot (apparently she didn't realize how to get her quarter back when you take it back) and I thought she was crazy. LOL. :)

QUOTE]

most people do this they know how to get the quarter back it just save them the walk. People will even wait for old people or those with kids to finish emptying their carts to give them a quarter so they do not have to walk up and return it. It does mean there are never carts left in the parking lot.

They have taken discover for years but I refuse to charge groceries I did not regularly shop there until a few years ago when they started taking debit cards... it was a pain to keep track of what I had speant and make sure I had enough cash.

Our Save alot is not that much of a bargain It is still new so we check back every so often.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You know, it was a Discover card I was trying to use, and I specifically asked if they took any type of credit card.

I was expecting a larger store. I guess that could vary, too. Oh, well, I will probably be traveling through the area again around Thanksgiving or Christmas.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You know, it was a Discover card I was trying to use, and I specifically asked if they took any type of credit card.

I was expecting a larger store. I guess that could vary, too. Normally I wouldn't be traveling through the area again until Thanksgiving or Christmas, but it looks like we'll be through there at the end of June. I'll have to go prepared this time.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
I went to Aldi's this morning and prices have gone up. I haven't shopped @ our home store in so long, I don't know what is a bargain any more! Aldi's here takes a debit card. Just this winter they are now opened on Sundays.

·
Registered
3,281 Posts
I like Aldis, but it's a longer drive than some other grocery stores in the area. I haven't tried to use a debit card lately... they didn't used to take many, but it sure would be easier if they did. I know that prices have gone up there, but food is getting expensive everywhere and I can still save a bundle by shopping at Aldis.

·
Registered
340 Posts
I have started shopping at Aldi regularly again. I used to shop there years ago, then only bought their special buys, and last week, with the price of food going up, I went back there again for my regular shop. Even though the prices are higher than they used to be, I only spent £26, whereas at the supermarket I would have spent nearly twice that.

Aldi in the UK have been taking debit cards for years. Sorry you had to leave your stuff. I agree with the person who said that Aldi is great for pantry staples. I hope you get to try them again soon.

BTW, Aldi owns Trader Joe's, believe it or not.

·
Registered
7,747 Posts
Love Aldis. It is better for me that they don't take credit. Working hard on paying off our credit cards.

Next time you get out to that neck of the woods give Aldis another try. It's worth it.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Polly, Hopefully I'll be able to go next month. BTW, love the avatar!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts