Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today we are having a BEAUTIFUL Spring day.

There was a special offer of 40 liter bags of top soil at the garden center which we badly needed.
So I went to the garden center, bought 15 huge bags, got some herbs to put in pots (oregano/thyme/rosemary) and some herb seeds for pots inside (basil/chives/parsley). Plus a load of pansies just to brighten the place up outside.

Dh and I have been busy for hours in the spring sunshine and part of the yard/garden is transformed already.
We'll continue Monday since we'll be getting a lot of rain tomorrow but it is expected that spring will return on Monday for a few days.
I'll also be getting some more of the top soil since 15 bags isn't a lot for our back yard.

Now anyone got a cure for a couple of broken backs LOL??

·
Registered
378 Posts
So glad for you to actually be enjoying Spring.Our weather just refuses to kick into Spring mode.We had rain,then snow yesterday,enough to cause many accidents,now today more snowand temps getting colder .Enjoy your weather.
Oh and the broken backs,that's an every Spring occurrence,right?lol

·
Registered
11,011 Posts
I think we'll be working on our plot today. It needs to be cleaned up and weeded. Too early here to put out plants though.

Reactions: Dutchie

·
Registered
12,986 Posts
Isn't it GREAT to be back outside again.

I went out yesterday and 'cruised' the yard to see what made it, what didn't, and what was going to be trouble this year.

Found some lettuce coming up.......and a BLOOM starting to come up on my strawberries. My rhubarb is still hiding.....too cold.

Even found a tomato that I forgot to pull last year!! :yikes:
Dead of course......but.........Found some herbs coming up. Not sure my dill made it.

·
Registered
995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
update on garden/yard

My chives plant that I planted 2 years ago is coming up and is about 4 inches tall already. On saying that our fruit trees aren't even thinking about doing anything - no buds or anything. Personally I'm fine with this since we could get some frost anytime.

Yesterday we got 10 more bags of top soil, not at the great price that we got on Sat but still OK.
We figure another 20 or so to go.
Also got some more seeds to start up.
Hopefully I will get that done today. It will depend on the weather because even though great weather was forecast for today, they got it wrong AGAIN and the good weather should be tomorrow and Wed.

Have a great day.

·
Registered
955 Posts
I did a little bit of work in our garden yesterday as well. Cut back the clematis and ornamental grasses. Burned the grass stumps to simulate a prairie fire. Also cut back a few other plants as well and gathered up the daylily leaves. I leave most of my plants standing over the winter, except for my vegetable garden, to provide cover and food sources for the wildlife in the yard.

I have a ton of work to do in the garden this year, but here's hoping I actually get it done! :)

·
Registered
3,299 Posts
Every time I think it's time to start seedlings, it gets colder... or snows!

We still have frost every morning so I am thinking it will be late May/early June before I can safely have things outside. So... everything is postponed until then.

I do have the containers to start the seedlings in, I just don't want to start too early because they need to be outside (no sunny places inside, I live in a cave, no windowsills... odd house construction)

Enjoy the gardening!!!!

·
Registered
378 Posts
Every time I think it's time to start seedlings, it gets colder... or snows!

We still have frost every morning so I am thinking it will be late May/early June before I can safely have things outside. So... everything is postponed until then.

I do have the containers to start the seedlings in, I just don't want to start too early because they need to be outside (no sunny places inside, I live in a cave, no windowsills... odd house construction)

Enjoy the gardening!!!!
You need a Greenhouse.I struggled every year to grow my own plants and finally got one.It is 10x12 poly covered and I would be lost without.Cheap to build and can grow just about anything I want.I even sell my extra plants.

·
Registered
3,299 Posts

·
Registered
11,011 Posts
Did you build that from plans or what?

·
Registered
378 Posts
Actually my sons built the frame,no plans,just measured the area and started building.We put a floor and the plastic on and of course the shelves.Most of the wood was recycled,some free skids were used.The only expense was the plastic,but well under $100.00.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.