Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:dis: Some of you may know I am making a quilt for the first time. :bowing:

I thought it wouldn't be too hard. I already had a thin blanket (like the old Army blankets) I was going to use as batting. I have miles and miles of material and I am sure I have enough to actually make the squares. I know... I know... boring... plain blocks... but I figured I had a better shot of finishing the quilt if I kept it simple, I can get more creative on a later one.

Here is my problem - Once I have all the blocks sewed together, how do I get it, the blanket and the batting sewed on? I thought about almost a pillowcase, sew 3 1/2 sides and pull it right side out.... Is that a quilting no-no?

DF's brother is only going to use it as a middle blanket (under a comforter... it's gets cold even in Memphis when you can't afford heat) and it is my first attempt... I am not expecting perfection... just something better than an army blanket.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
I've done them that way, then you would want to tie the quilt in several places, usually every 4" to 6", to keep the middle from shifting once it's finished. My grandma used to do this and we called them ugly quilts, but they were the warmest I can ever remember having.
Good luck!

·
Registered
7,854 Posts
Are you just using the quilt top and the blanket-- or are you doing some sort of backing as well?

You can do it the way you described. . . I've seen it done that way on some TV quilting shows. . .

Or you can simply baste the layers together. . . Add a binding and quilt or tie it all together every 4 inches.

·
Registered
4,586 Posts
Congratulations! :cowboy:

·
Registered
4,586 Posts
Ooops, hit enter too fast, lol.

Congrats on your first quilt. I've made a couple of quilts for the boys when they were small by just sewing a top and a blanket together, turning it and then hand stitching the edge. You can also buy blanket binding at the store and works well too.:vibes:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts