Frugal Village Forums banner
321 - 340 of 1,943 Posts
Flung 8 containers with lids...it's something!

I'm in a quandry ladies. DH and I went through his clothes yesterday and purged them. I have some nice cotton for quilting (his old shirts) and jeans for potholders, and wool sweaters to make sweater bags...which I'll probably never use. I'm wondering if I should keep this stuff or simply pass it on to someone else. I love to recycle/repurpose stuff, but honestly, where will I find the time to do it?

Any BTDT experience on this front?

Discussion starter · #324 ·
I, too, am facing a conundrum. When I buy a skein of yarn, and I create something out of the yarn I have purchased, is that a "fling" because the original ball of yarn (which counted against my fling) has been turned into an item; is it a mark AGAINST my count, because I have just added a new item to the pile of items in my house; or is it neutral, because the yarn still exists, just in a new form?

i say you just need to stop counting yarn. you're productive with it therefore it should never be flung and that leads to the fine print
:deal:
if an item can not be flung, it therefore can never count towards an addition

Discussion starter · #326 ·
I like that idea. Maybe, if I buy yarn for a specific project, I won't count it. But if I buy it just because I think it is cool and that "someday" I'll find a use for it, I'll count it and subtract it if "someday" ever comes.

sounds like a plan, maybe now you can catch up!

I'm in a quandry ladies. DH and I went through his clothes yesterday and purged them. I have some nice cotton for quilting (his old shirts) and jeans for potholders, and wool sweaters to make sweater bags...which I'll probably never use. I'm wondering if I should keep this stuff or simply pass it on to someone else. I love to recycle/repurpose stuff, but honestly, where will I find the time to do it?

Well, my experience is I have a stack of jeans for a quilt I want to make and some cotton shirts for a different quilt project. I'm not tossing them. My last DD leaves for college this fall and I'll have a lot more free time to sew than ever before. I don't want to have to buy stuff if I already have it. I am planning on boxing it well for a while.

Also, I've made some projects lately with some of my old flannel sheets. I don't use them as sheets, they are too warn, but there's a lot of good material on them and I'm cutting around the warn areas. I needed fleece and cut up an old sweatshirt I don't wear and was thinking about tossing. Just what's going on with me, I've been able to have the time to complete some of this stuff. It is a really good feeling to make stuff and not have to buy anything!

I like that idea. Maybe, if I buy yarn for a specific project, I won't count it. But if I buy it just because I think it is cool and that "someday" I'll find a use for it, I'll count it and subtract it if "someday" ever comes.
That's a good plan! :D

So what if you "fling" old jeans for repurposing into a quilt (which I am doing, making one for each of the boys)?!?!?

*grasping at straws* LOLOLOL

I don't count things that come in that we NEED. Like the kids lost our pencil sharpener, so I bought 2. One for them & one for me, because if they lose mine, I'm flinging THEM!

Well, my experience is I have a stack of jeans for a quilt I want to make and some cotton shirts for a different quilt project. I'm not tossing them. My last DD leaves for college this fall and I'll have a lot more free time to sew than ever before. I don't want to have to buy stuff if I already have it. I am planning on boxing it well for a while.

Also, I've made some projects lately with some of my old flannel sheets. I don't use them as sheets, they are too warn, but there's a lot of good material on them and I'm cutting around the warn areas. I needed fleece and cut up an old sweatshirt I don't wear and was thinking about tossing. Just what's going on with me, I've been able to have the time to complete some of this stuff. It is a really good feeling to make stuff and not have to buy anything!
I just read this- great minds! I have the top to one of the quilts made.

Okay. I'm thinking DH only purges his closet once in a blue moon (I think I can count the number of times on one hand...and we've been married 29 years). I'll cut up the old clothes and see how much room the fabric actually takes up, and the quality of it, before deciding to keep it or not.

I tossed another container and lid. One more item.

I am at one item so far today....but I am headed outside soon and will begin..... watch out everyone! I will be on a roll! Then I will be back to tell you all about it. :D

Reactions: thesightofoneself

My thoughts, if you aren't likely to use it....get rid of it. If you ever decide to do a few of these things, you can always find them at thrift stores.

Right on ArmyOfFive4God. What kind of top did you make, do you have pic? I have a tentative pattern and plan. But, I'm always looking for new ideas.

I'm listing my house in a couple weeks. After, it sells and I get moved, kid off to college, then I can sew and be messy and not have it be a big deal.

I had to do some digging, but here are some pics of the first quilt top. We bought 3 pkgs batting a couple months ago, then when I got sick, I did absolutely nothing!

I'm hoping this next week, with our new MOTH schedule, I can get back on track. The kid leaves the nest in 6 years, so I only have 6 yrs to get this one finished... :lol3:

Been flinging...up to 126 items so far....old clothes, books, mags, dishes, broken things, etc, etc. etc. :D

Reactions: thesightofoneself
321 - 340 of 1,943 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.