Frugal Village Forums banner
1081 - 1100 of 1943 Posts

·
Registered
3,479 Posts
OK today was dump day, AND our dump had an "amnesty" that is a free day where you could dump things that would otherwise cost you $.

So, here's my tally:
On the plus side:
(1) bag leaves/yard waste, (5) tires, (4) books to dump, pulled from antique store, sold (6)books at antique store, (1) trunk, (2) plastic cubes and (1) dishes to attic (thanks madhen!)

On the negative side:
1 old chair came home from dump (-1) and I got one more plant that I need to plant too from the farmstand (-1).

18 added to my total!

Judi

·
Registered
26,302 Posts
Great job Judi and peanut! :clap:

Reactions: Judi Dial

·
19,119 Posts
Had our yard sale today - got rid of ....

60 books
27 kitchen items
65 pieces of clothing
85 gift items
24 book marks

We did great!!

Reactions: thesightofoneself

·
Registered
26,302 Posts
Woo hoo peanut!!! That's awesome! :clap:

·
Registered
17,693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,087 ·
Post-garage sale, I lost track of everything I dragged out of the house, but it was a lot. I'm going to give myself 25 fling points for it. Today is post-garage sale clean up, and possibly finding more items for next week's garage sale, so I'll keep a tally and post at the end of the day!

·
Registered
16,430 Posts
More fabric flung. I have 4 more boxes to go through. That should exhaust the fabric situation here. I'm finding a lot of scraps I have no idea why I was keeping! And I'm finding a mess of muslin I can use as backing for crazy quilt blocks. Yippee! I thought I'd have to buy that, and here it all is...buried in my other fabric...but it's here. Cleaning out every now and then helps you find things you didn't know or forgot you had. Three cheers for the 2009 Fling!

·
Registered
26,302 Posts
Way to go peanut! That's great finding that material. :)

·
Registered
3,479 Posts
Ok, today was the outdoor antique market thingy. I sold (13) things and we (DH was there too) bought (-5). Afterwards we took (16) books to the dump. So, 24 has been added to my total.

btw, for the next 2 weeks it's unlikely that I'll add much, I'm going off to a writing conference away from home, so it will be difficult to fling stuff. We still haven't decided if I'm going to the flea market next Sunday or not....

Judi

·
Registered
16,430 Posts
Okay, I'm done going through the boxes of fabric in the closet. That netted another large garbage bag of fabric leaving the house. I'm calling it 50 items.

·
Registered
17,693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,092 ·
Two BIG bags (lawn and leaf) out to the trailer for a dump run. I am giving myself 20 points per bag, so that is another 40.

HOWEVER, I have to subtract about 10, because I just made the Freecycle find of the century!!!! :D (Not really, but it was cool.)

I responded to a Freecycle offer for a poster of native flowers, and after I told her I would take the poster and could get it tonight, she mentioned that she lives about an HOUR away. I had already told her I would take it, so I thought oh, well, I'll just suck it up and go get it. Got in my truck, drove for over an hour, got lost, got found, and finally made it to her house.

She lives on horse property, and was really nice. Invited me into her home, then started asking me, hey, would you want....? I walked out of there with FOUR BAGS OF STUFF!!! She gave me a bunch of Corningware, some collectible Christmas houses, a crockpot, a hot air popcorn popper, and a bunch of other stuff. She tried to GIVE me two bags of golf clubs, a BUNCH of baking dishes, and a whole house fan, as well as a number of small appliances. I had to start refusing things, as I had no use for them! It turns out her aunt and mother both recently passed away, and a lot of this stuff was theirs.

The really cool thing about it was when we packed all the stuff in my truck. I had an electric juicer in the truck, which I had tried to sell unsuccessfully at Saturday's yard sale. I asked her if I could give her anything in return for all the stuff she gave to me, and she said no and started to walk away. Then I said, "How about a juicer?" and she stopped dead in her tracks. Turns out that the reason she was de-cluttering was because she was trying to FIND a juicer that she promised to her sister, who just had surgery and has to eat liquid foods for quite a while!! She had not been able to find the juicer, so she was thrilled when I pulled out my big ol' Jack La Lane juicer and handed it to her!! Talk about karma!! :)

Anyhoo, I am tickled, as you can tell, that it all worked out so well. When I got home, I emailed her and thanked her again. Very cool end to the day, even if it negatively impacted my fling. :D

·
Registered
3,479 Posts
The really cool thing about it was when we packed all the stuff in my truck. I had an electric juicer in the truck, which I had tried to sell unsuccessfully at Saturday's yard sale. I asked her if I could give her anything in return for all the stuff she gave to me, and she said no and started to walk away. Then I said, "How about a juicer?" and she stopped dead in her tracks. Turns out that the reason she was de-cluttering was because she was trying to FIND a juicer that she promised to her sister, who just had surgery and has to eat liquid foods for quite a while!! She had not been able to find the juicer, so she was thrilled when I pulled out my big ol' Jack La Lane juicer and handed it to her!! Talk about karma!! :)
Sounds VERY cool. Yeah Mad Hen!!!

Judi

·
Registered
26,302 Posts
That was an awesome find madhen! Wow, and to think you had the one thing that she needed. That is so cool!!! Driving the hour each way was worth the trip, I would say. :)

Reactions: madhen

·
Registered
16,430 Posts
Wow Madhen! What a story!

After working on my closet I have turned my attention to my sewing unit...where, to my dismay, I realized I have boxes of scrap fabric that I've set aside for crazy quilting. I've got to go through it all. No way am I going to crazy quilt four boxes of fabric!

·
Registered
3,479 Posts
I filed a jar's worth of receipts today, I'm going to count it as (1) although it was more than that! Also finally planted the 3 packs of basil and one of red peppers in the cold frame (4). I'd plant some more today, but I got sunburned yesterday and I'm turning into a lobster!

If things go as planned, DH and I will be planting the last of the veggies this evening. I'll be away for two weeks and I want him to remember that there's this garden out there he needs to tend to!

Judi

1081 - 1100 of 1943 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.