Frugal Village Forums banner

1121 - 1140 of 1943 Posts

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
Well, that is a lot of work to do. I've been counting 1" thick of paper as one item, because that's the size of a decent sized book. Like I said, I'm severely underestimating my flinging. I think you just need to decide what feels right to you and count it that way.
I agree. If you keep counting every little thing as 1 you are only hurting yourself in this.

·
Registered
76 Posts
thanks...I had originaly only given myself 20 points for all of it...but it was nearly an entire file cabinet worth...so that seemed really low...but I don't want to give myself to high of a number either...i'm ovethinking it, but I want to be fair...

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
I think madhen had those rules from the beginning.
I think you're probably right, but its also been said that its up to each individual to decide what is a challenge for you in your own situation. If I had to stick to those rules, I wouldn't make it past 200 flings, let alone 2009! We're newly married and have only had 9 months to accumulate clutter, so I just don't have a lot to fling. I still want to be a part of the challenge, though, because I love having a clutter-free house. :) So I've decided that my challenge will be a little different from the beaten path. I guess since I'm following a modified version of the challenge, I forget sometimes that most of us are following the original version.

·
Registered
17,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,124
Just to clarify, yes, those were the rules I set, BUT they were the rules I set for myself, not necessarily for everybody else. I agree that each person has different "fling" needs, and that you should set your guidelines in a way that you think is fair and practical for YOU. The goal of this fling is for ALL of us to succeed!

·
Registered
497 Posts
Well...i know we're already 6 months into 2009....but I would like to join this challenge! When we moved in August i had been living at a friends house so all of my stuff was boxed up in the basement from my previous move so it was just easier to pack up all of the boxes rather than go through them before we left for NC. So now that we've been in the new apt for about 9 mos. I am finding out just how much stuff i had and don't use so I'm finally getting around to getting rid of a bunch of it! Great challenge idea FV'ers!

Reactions: madhen

·
Registered
26,302 Posts
Welcome to the challenge Jenibelle! :)

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
Welcome Jennibelle! Debbie met the challenge in 4 months - I'm sure you'll make it in the remaining months! :)

Reactions: Debbie-cat

·
Registered
76 Posts
oh my four months?! wow...do you have anything left in your home :p? when i told my husband what I was doing he was sure we didn't have 2009 things to get rid of, but I've done just over 200 already and he hasn't noticed...that's a sad reality!!

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
participated in a flea market over the weekend sold some stuff and put the rest on the goodwill truck! its good to have that stuff gone. im not really keeping count for my total but there were at least 100 baby items alone :-D

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
I flung 25 items today! Its a bit spotty, I must admit, but I'm making slow progress :)

·
Registered
26,302 Posts
Slow but steady gets the job done though kmonokwe! Way to go! :)

Reactions: kmonokwe

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
Cleaned yet another junk drawer today-where does it all come from. Got rid of a kitchen carpet that the puppy chewed. Dumpster day is Saturday and I'm gonna have a pile. 36 things flung today.

·
Premium Member
21,255 Posts
Things have been so busy here that I haven't been flinging...not a conscious flinging anyway. Just the usual cleaning but no real decluttering. I need to get busy.

·
Registered
76 Posts
this week has been super productive...I got quite a bit...127 in the last few days...of course some it went into a tub labled with different family members and was put in the attic til they are all here for the fourth of july...but I counted it anyways so I don't have to go back and recount in a few weeks....

Reactions: thesightofoneself

·
Registered
26,302 Posts
Way to go luckbethislady! :clap:

Reactions: luckbethislady

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
nothing too exciting to report i flung some tupperware that served no purpose and put some mugs in the "freecycle accumulation box"

·
Registered
17,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,140
Okay, I gave a ton of stuff to my sister last week for garage sales, but I think I counted some of it already, so I am going to credit myself only 25 flings.

Also had to clean out the fridge/freezer today when it DIED on me, so about another 40 items flung from there. (It actually died a couple of days ago, but I don't use it daily, so I didn't notice until I opened the freezer door today and the smell hit me. :( ). Consolidated the bunnies' cages into one big cage, so three items flung there (two liners and an accessory).

1121 - 1140 of 1943 Posts